PDA

View Full Version : where do I get the acid to test for zinc?

Tom R
05-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Where do I get the acid to test for zinc? I would like to buy some to test a bit of unmarked pewter. Thank you.

btroj
05-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Go to the hardware store, look for muriatic acid. Be damn careful, it will burn you bad. The fumes are tough on the sinuses too. Don't get it on your clothes, it will destroy cotton fabrics pretty quick.

Defcon-One
05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Commonly known as Pool Acid, used to clean swimming pool walls and bottom. Actually called Muriatic Acid as stated above. Worked well for me the only time that I ever got Zinc in my lead. Fizzed up really nice. I tested the dross and there was no doubt.

I learned my lesson and will never melt again without a good, realiable thermometer. Sort all you want, you could still miss some.

I borrowed about two ounces from a friend with a pool. Should last about 20 years.

Also as stated above, be careful (It is Acid!) and do it outside near a hose or good source of water, just in case.

johnho
05-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Muriatic acid is a diluted hydrochloric acid. I believe it is 10% but am not completely sure of that, it's been a long time. It is still strong.

a.squibload
05-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Try citric acid, it's not dangerous, is a food additive.
Here's an easy test:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83978&highlight=citric+acid+zinc+test

Also good for cleaning brass.

Johnch
05-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Talk to your freindly HVAC guy

We us a Muriatic Acid based cleaner , to clean the HVAC coils
Make sure it is the acid based cleaner
As we also have a Soudium hydroxide based cleaner

John

giz189
05-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Attwoods Farm Store if you have one. Ours has gallons of it settin on shelves.

lgvenable
05-15-2011, 11:51 PM
muriatic acid is 20%
concentrated HCL is 37%
I'm in a lab everyday so these are common.