PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 in hand

ohland
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I now have an alloy tool in hand to look at. Now see how the adjustable hook is used, the well that the adjustable die fits into, and the retaining screw...

Catshooter
05-13-2011, 08:27 PM
It's fairly ingenious, isn't it.

Cat

ohland
05-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Interesting, the (what I believe to be) a replaceable case head bearing surface, the spring loaded hook. The finish on this one looks a bit crude, I wonder if anodizing is possible. Looks like some sort of emblem re-black to me.

:eek:

1Shirt
05-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I have a couple that I think were just factory painted black. I suggest that if it ain't broke, you don't need to fix it!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Pressman
05-14-2011, 05:20 PM
The handles are sand cast, given a light grind to remove flashing and painted black. The paint covers a multitude of sins.
I have heard, but not seen, the newest ones are much better looking, like maybe lost wax cast. That would give a nicer, smoother finish.
Ken

tmc-okc
05-16-2011, 07:16 PM
[

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am stepping out of bounds here. I have been using the 310 tools ever since I bought my first set in 1971 in 22-250. I bought my second set in 1976 in 221 Fireball and I love them. I have several handles. 2 are aluminum and appear to be painted black not annodized. A large handle I have is steel and is much larger and heavier than the other two. This one has a "Plum" brown coloring to it. I do not know if that is from a lot of use or that is the way it came. It is stamped on the side "30-06". I obtained it along with a large box of unidentifable ( as of yet ) dies. Since this handle is stamped with a calibre designation on it I am going to assume that at some point in time when handles were purchased with die sets the handles were stamped for that caliber..

Green Frog
05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
[

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am stepping out of bounds here. I have been using the 310 tools ever since I bought my first set in 1971 in 22-250. I bought my second set in 1976 in 221 Fireball and I love them. I have several handles. 2 are aluminum and appear to be painted black not annodized. A large handle I have is steel and is much larger and heavier than the other two. This one has a "Plum" brown coloring to it. I do not know if that is from a lot of use or that is the way it came. It is stamped on the side "30-06". I obtained it along with a large box of unidentifable ( as of yet ) dies. Since this handle is stamped with a calibre designation on it I am going to assume that at some point in time when handles were purchased with die sets the handles were stamped for that caliber..

Actually the dies in that era had code numbers to tell the caliber. IIRC, the "ought six" took a #123 die. It's among the most commonly encountered.

Froggie

ktw
05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Since this handle is stamped with a calibre designation on it I am going to assume that at some point in time when handles were purchased with die sets the handles were stamped for that caliber..

If you look inside the handles where you insert the shell you will notice that the Alloy handles have a small adapter ring that you can change out while the Steel set simply has a hole in the handles*.

The size of that hole should be matched to the diameter of the head of the cartridge you intend to use in it. The alloy sets can be used for any cartridge for which you have the appropriate adapter ring. In your steel set the size of the hole is fixed, appropriate for the 30-06 cartridge head and is stamped as such. It will work best for the 30-06 cartridge, or any cartridge with the same sized base (e.g. 270 Win, 25-06, 308 Win, 243 Win, etc,).

-ktw

* caveat: There are some rare transitional steel handle sets that were manufactured to use the adapter rings as found in the alloy handles.

ohland
05-16-2011, 11:01 PM
[

http://webpages.charter.net/ohland/Idea_310_Quick_Reference.html

This does not list the newer ones, I know that a 244 Rem set exists. And I missed it...

scrapcan
05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
ohland,

at one time you could buy special order dies, you may find all kinds of stuff if you look far and wide.

Also pay heed to what those who posted above have to say, they know what they are saying. The group above has alot of knowledge that the restof us will work hard to get.

Also I mentioned this before, but will mention it again as you linked to it again. The TPI reference is wrong on your page. The dies are 30tpi, not 40. Your work in getting good info to the masses will benefit from the change.

ohland
05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Use the contact link at the upper left corner and it will come to my regularly checked email account.

C'mon, that is why I put it there. Cast Boollits is not the only thing I do during the day (or evening!).

If someone could actually use it for once, I might figure out that something needs to be fine tuned...

[smilie=s:

ohland
05-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Took my Light Tent and Fuji S5200 outside and took some pics of my 310 handles. Snap. Should pick up some el cheapo table lamps and stuff some daylight bulbs in them.

Well, the threads seem to be standards, the extractor hook pivots on a .100" pin, all three screws are the same thread and length (that is intelligent!).

scrapcan
05-17-2011, 04:55 PM
It is my way of making sure you visit cast boolits daily! Need to make sure you are part of the community. Thanks for all the work you have done.

BCall
05-17-2011, 11:09 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/ohland/Idea_310_Quick_Reference.html

This does not list the newer ones, I know that a 244 Rem set exists. And I missed it...

I have a "Ammunition Maker" set that is marked for 243/244 and is advertised as working for both.