PDA

View Full Version : Lee Die Boxes

NVcurmudgeon
06-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Is it just me, or does everybody hate those cylindrical Lee die boxes? They louse up my nice, neat shelf arrangement and prying them open is no fun at all. I have three sets of Lee dies, so I got three of Lee's flat four-die boxes for a mere $2.79 each. Now the only trouble is that the two shades of green boxes, (by far the majority) are snubbing the Lee red boxes.

Scrounger
06-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Is it just me, or does everybody hate those cylindrical Lee die boxes? They louse up my nice, neat shelf arrangement and prying them open is no fun at all. I have three sets of Lee dies, so I got three of Lee's flat four-die boxes for a mere $2.79 each. Now the only trouble is that the two shades of green boxes, (by far the majority) are snubbing the Lee red boxes.

You got my vote! I pick up RCBS boxes to move them into. They can be ordered too but I just buy them at Gunshows. I also buy the Lyman mold boxes when I find them for some of my molds that came to me without boxes. I THINK Lyman will sell them if you buy enough and I don't think they're too expensive. I'll be glad to run that information down and buy a bunch if enough people are interested.

MT Gianni
06-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Everybody should have one, nobody should be stuck with two. I think the top is great for holding small amounts of powder when using the lee scoops for test loads of 10 or so rather than fiddle with the powder measure. Lee says you can specify a flat box when you order but I have only recieved one that way and that was from graf's by luck not design.. Gianni.

wills
06-02-2005, 10:18 PM

Those green boxes are going to have to have diveristy training.

Buckshot
06-04-2005, 03:13 AM
..............I too detest the Lee round die containers. For me they're useless in the extreme. You can buy Lyman empty flat plastic die boxs for like $2.79 each (a I recall, last I looked). For some cartridges I have a FL size die, M die, seater die, Collet die and factory crimp die and a taper crimp die. For these I take two boxes and place one on top of the other then drill a hole in each corner through the bottom of one, through the lid of that below. Then I pop rivet them together.

The RCBS boxes are actually a bit more roomy but the green folks want twice the money for their empty boxes. I do like the Lee square boxes but not for dies as they only hold 2. Instead I use end nippers to clip out the die holder thingies inside and use them for containing small parts.

...............Buckshot

Bret4207
06-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Midway sells both the flat Lee die boxes and the Lyman mould boxes for cheap. Works for me.

KCSO
06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
From the other side...
I have a Lee Turret press as my main press and I have one long drawer with all Lee Dies in the round boxes and each set has the dies in the turret. Each die box is marked for caliber on the top and when I slide the drawer open i can pick at a glance from 35 different calibers and one twist and I am in business. The only dies I have in any other type of storage are reforming dies that are on a marked rack.

I know that the Lee Turret Press is suppose to be junk, but mine has loaded over 150,000 rounds of ammo and has worked perfectly for the las 20 years or so. Considering that I spent $42.00 on it new I think I got my money's worth.

Willbird
06-04-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm going to refrain from commenting on the Lee press :-)

But on the die boxes, I also bought the LymaZ boxes from Midway, even the flat Lee boxes explode if you happen to drop one, the tops from the round Lee boxes do a good job of collecting widgets on the bench.

Bill

Ranch Dog
06-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I love the "round" boxes but I also use a Lee turret press with about the same experiences as KSCO. They sit neatly on shelves next to my bench all ready to go with no setup required. My dad built me the cabinet out of old cedar fence boards. That's it off to the left in the picture.

http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_01.JPG