PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 "separeting"?

05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Got around to loading some RCBS 44-250-K boolits I had cast and lubed with 50/50 about 9 months ago. The bullets showed an oily secretion on their sides the same color as the lube (yellow). They were stored at room temperature-never very warm-never "hot". Now I worry the fluid will contaminate the powder charges.

Does 50/50 separate over time? Again the temps never reached an elevated level. Can these boollits still be used?

littlejack
05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
4306, welcome to the CastBoolits.
There should not be any problem. The 50/50 lube is one of the oldest and best used on cast boolits. This was and is the NRA recipe of years ago. When seating the boolits, have a rag laying flat and wipe the base of the boolits before you seat. There should not be any powder contamination.
Jack

MtGun44
05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Never have seen real NRA formula 50-50 separate, but maybe some home made version might
not be mixed properly or something.
I've been using 50-50 for 4 decades and it has never separated on me - but I buy commercial
versions like Javelina. If you want to try something different get soft blue from LBT, really
good stuff, too.

Bill

bhn22
05-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I've had LEE 50/50 weep a bit, still in the tube. I never use it anyway, but keep 1 tube around for it's nostalgic smell. Some guys like Hoppes #9, but I still like 50/50 bullet lube.

williamwaco
05-13-2011, 10:51 PM
I have about 300 .38 special loads left from a batch I loaded in 1972. They were lubed with Lyman 50/50 alox beeswax. They have been stored in a Texas garage most of that time. They shoot sub one inch at 25 yards from my TC. I pulled a bullet a few weeks ago to check sizing diameter. The lube looks and feels exactly like it did in 1972. They do not misfire, there has been no powder contamination. I do not believe a good lube will separate.

I am bothered by your description of the oily secretion. If you have 10 or to, I would pull them and clean the cases than reload them.

If you have a bunch of them, take them to the range along with a good stout rod and a soft mallet in case you get one stuck in the barrel.

If you have any bullets lubed with that lube, clean them with naptha and relube them.