PDA

View Full Version : Stuck case/Broken extractor-.223 Condender

Hamish
05-13-2011, 10:22 AM
F olks,

Went to sight in a 10 inch .223 barrel in prep for working up loads with the Bator boolit with Brown Bear ammo. (Laquered steel case)

Have been shooting this ammo in a rifle length Contender for some time.

First shot, the case stuck and instead of doing the smart thing and taking the barrel off, I forced the action open by hand and broke the extractor.

To get the case out I had to smack it, (several,several times) with a cleaning rod and a hammer.

I *suspect* that the laquer stuck the case, but as I said, I have been using it in another Contender barrel, and using Brown Bear ammo in other calibers and this is the first time I have had any kind of problem.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Rich :killingpc

Larry Gibson
05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
I've just got to ask; with all the brass surplus .223/5.56 cases available at next to nothing why are you using laquered steel cases?

I'll send some once fired LC cases (my own match AR, Contender or bolt action) if you can't find any locally just for the shipping.

Larry Gibson

wellfedirishman
05-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry that your extractor broke, hopefully TC can send you a new one. Ditto on not using Steel case ammo in a Contender.

I have found that my 223 Factory TC Contender Pistol barrel tend to have tighter chambers than other 223 guns (e.g., autoloaders, which is what the Russian ammo tends to be used in most). Also, if a case is out of spec, steel is a lot less forgiving or malleable than a brass case.

Hamish
05-13-2011, 11:47 PM
I had purchased about a K of 62gr HP for less than $4 a box as my Contender rifle *loves* that load. This was before I started casting for more than just pistols.

Wellfed, I have noticed that my 7TCU had a seemingly tight chamber.

Larry, here's the poopy part. I'm about a 1/4 way polishing 2.5K of .223/5.56 cases, but wanted to use a known quanitity to sight the scope in.

T/C should make good, they alway's have, as far as I have heard. (Except for the semi-regular "Bubba" chambering/throat work that went on in the past.)

Shooter
05-14-2011, 07:36 AM
I wonder how the "Lifetime Warranty" on T/C will be handled now that S&W has bought them out.

In the old days, you would have been sent an extractor, no questions asked.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I wonder how the "Lifetime Warranty" on T/C will be handled now that S&W has bought them out.

In the old days, you would have been sent an extractor, no questions asked.

i have a encore 12ga tky barrel shot 8" high rear sight down as far as it would go
so i gave T/C a call they fedx me a taller sight had it in 5 days this was last week
give them a call oh ya it was free