PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tested lubes for 9mm Heat treated?

Daryl
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
HI,

I finally got my 9MM load working well with an LBT 360-130-SA bullet, seated deep at .975 COL (to chamber successfully), with 5.6 to 6.1 HS-6. I size them to .3575 or .358 and have used LBT Blue. My leading problems finally dropped to almost none when I started heat treating the WW alloy to 25 to 30 BHN.

Now, on the longer barrels (4"+), I noticed minimal leading near the muzzle end on one side of the barrel. I shot 110 rounds in a hot barrel at 75 degrees with no apparent loss in accuracy. So, I'm guessing some minimal leading is acceptable but a result of lube failure?

I have a sampling of some of the White Label lubes here to try as well.

Has anyone had noticeable lead reductions with similar circumstances by switching to any other lube?

runfiverun
05-12-2011, 09:57 PM
is it leading or is it a grey wash?
a grey wash is antimonial wash and is not the same thing.
you can try different lubes but i'd change my lubes viscosity slightly first.
lbt blue responds very well to a bit of vaseline, as does carnuba red.

Daryl
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
The main smear I see could be a grey wash. When I use the brush & copper scrub, there are some silver bits that come out - but much less than non-heat treated. YOu found that adding some vaseline to these lubes helped? If so, how much? I use a heated Star and like the LBT because the bullets are not messy for future handling.

Daryl

bobthenailer
05-13-2011, 06:52 AM
IVe been shooting the 38 super & 9mm with WW cast bullets that were dropped from the mould into water for about 25 years . with various hard lubes including LBT commercial.
If you are gitting those results with only some lead wash thats about as good as it gets !
the fact that you are shooting with a hot barrel adds to leading problems . I think you have the problem solved ! the only other option would be a gas check bullet design

ph4570
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I use felix lube on my 9mm boolits. I now have no leading at all. However, it took no small amount of experimenting to achieve that and am not sure how big a role felix lube played in the final success. My current alloy is air cooled WW with a bit of tin.

cbrick
05-14-2011, 01:57 AM
lbt blue responds very well to a bit of vaseline

Yep, or castor oil. LBT does seem to stiffen up in cold weather, a bit of caster oil will change the viscosity, I've tried this. Lucky for me it doesn't get cold enough here to need to do serious range time with a scope from the bench while shivering to be able to tell you how much castor oil but it will reduce the viscosity and it's still not sticky.

Rick

9.3X62AL
05-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Daryl--

I won't argue with success, no matter how it's achieved.......but an OAL of .975" seems very short for 9mm Luger cartridges to me. What condition creates the need for this setting?