PDA

View Full Version : How much difference the grips make?

cabezaverde
05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I am kind of tossing this out. I developed a load I liked for my fixed sight 357 SP101. At the time I developed the load, I had Pachmayr compacts on the gun.

I switched over to some Uncle Mike's boot grips because I wanted to see how I liked them. Same gun, same load, seemed to shoot about 5" lower.

After thinking this over for a while, I am wondering if it is the grips, or just an off day. Going to have to go back with a new batch of those loads and both sets of grips to see if that is what it is.

Does it seeem logical that it could be the grips?

Guesser
05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
It can make a difference. I noticed it recently on a Ruger Security Six 4". I am very fond of Herrett Shooting Star checkered grips. I have them on Ruger single actions, S&W and Colt DA revolvers. I like them. I bought a SS and it had Pachmayrs on it, I don't like synthetic grips, I put Shooting Stars on it and promptly found that they cast my hand at an angle that did not work for me. I bought a set of Hogue walnut one piece and it made all the difference in the world. So, the short of it is: I believe that grips can do what you described, and more.

Char-Gar
05-12-2011, 09:46 PM
The grips are the anchor point to the shooter. Change them and it can effect the way you view the sights and how the pistol recoils in the hand. On many handguns the bullet leaves the barrel as the pistol in turning upward. The change of grips can have an effect on this recoil arch. this can have an effect on the point of impact.

cabezaverde
05-12-2011, 09:51 PM
The grips are the anchor point to the shooter. Change them and it can effect the way you view the sights and how the pistol recoils in the hand. On many handguns the bullet leaves the barrel as the pistol in turning upward. The change of grips can have an effect on this recoil arch. this can have an effect on the point of impact.

I agree. The amazing part to me was that it made that kind of difference at 10 yards, I am actually kind of excited to experiment more, as there were some loads I was liking that were shooting too high with the fixed sights.

GARCIA
05-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Grips play a major part on the way the weapon is held along with the corresponding sight picture.
I have gotten away from the plastic grips as much as possible. 3 of my 4 Redhawks have Herrett Roper grips on them. Just waiting for the 4th set to be shipped.

Still trying to figure out my Bisley's.

Tom

S.R.Custom
05-13-2011, 10:57 AM
The grips are the anchor point to the shooter. Change them and it can effect the way you view the sights and how the pistol recoils in the hand. ...

This can't be said loudly enough. Consistent grip is the number one factor in handgun accuracy. If you change the grip --yours or the gun's-- you will change the point of impact.

Bass Ackward
05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Easy test.

Make sure your gun is empty, then cock it. Squeeze the grip firmly as if the gun is under recoil but DON'T pull the trigger. Hold and maintain this for 60 seconds while you watch / aim at a clock. If your hand aches or the gun goes off, you are going to have problems doing your best or not enjoy shooting that piece.

Rubber helps trigger control because as it is compressed in one location, it bulges in another until contained to support the hand. But consistent recoil control can be another matter.

Regardless of the grip material, have a friend try to move the muzzle with two fingers while you have the recoil grip going and see how far he can move it without much effort. That's your recoil control. This can be quite disturbing no matter how pretty they look or how good they feel in the hand.

This test will make it apparent how much there is to grip and that grip is more critical the more recoil produced for what ever the reason. It may also demonstrate that some launching platforms, or platform styles are NOT NATURALLY compatible for you (your hand size and flex motion) and never will be. This can save you money once you know.