PDA

View Full Version : Stick on WW and ZINK

grisy11
05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Just to let every one know I am from Vermont and i got some whare around 1000# of WW about two years ago and half of the stick on WW are are Zink and some of them are vary hard to tell what thay are,so in the junk thay go

runfiverun
05-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Fe marked ones are steel.
Zn are zinc.
all the Fe marked i have seen have a raised [ovalish rectangle] area under the clip with the marking.
the Zn marked ones most often look like a regular ww.
both are majorily painted grey.

Stick_man
05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Fortunately, most of the stickies are marked if they are anything other than Pb. If you don't see Fe or Zn on them but they are pretty hard, the sidecutter trick is king. It will tell you pretty quickly and effortlessly if they are not Pb.

Most of the Pb stick-ons are pretty soft and can be easily twisted by hand. They are nearly pure Pb.

The clip-ons are a little different story though. Keep the sidecutters hand. Not all are marked.

edler7
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I've noticed stick-on zinc's in the last couple batches of weights I have gotten. Just one more thing to check during sorting.

grisy11
05-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I will take photos of the one that dont see any thing on them and the ones that i can not tell in the morning in the light.I thot all the stickies where lead.I gess its agood thing that i just did the clip ons for the last 2 plus years and did alot of reading on this site

blackthorn
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
When testing WW with side cutters, I keep a shallow (cut-off pill bottle) with about 1/8" of Muritic acid in it close by. I score the WW to expose clean metal and dip it into the acid. If it bubbles its Zinc!