PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Krag

Bret4207
12-22-2006, 01:04 PM
$365.00 seems a bit high to me for a sporterized 6.5x55 Krag- Bishop stock, reblue, bent bolt handle, barrel mounted open sights. Same shop wants $500.00 for a '91 Argie and $300.00 for a #4 SMLE.

NVcurmudgeon
12-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Those look like some table owners' prices at bigger gun shows in the Reno area. Come back for the next show three or four months later and see the same guns at the same prices. I think there are a large number of dealers that just want to socialize and don't care if they sell anything. Of course, if they do find a pigeon who doesn't know how to haggle, and actually sell a gun, they stay drunk for a week to celebrate! I bought a NRA excellent 1891 this year for $250 at a gun show. No. 4 Enfields better be in real good shape to bring $200 in this area. The 6.5 Krag sounds like a consigned gun, any knowledgeable dealer knows a sporterized milsurp is worh LESS these days. I'd offer half on any of those three and see if he is really in business.

Phil
12-25-2006, 05:52 AM
How on earth could you possibly bend the bolt handle on a Krag? They are already about as low as you could get them and as I recall they were about all that way regardless of national origin. Can't remember ever seeing one that had a bolt handle that stuck out straight.

On the 6.5mm Krag, if you are referring to the M1912 Norwegian rifle (carbine) and it's in any kind of shape at all it would be kinda dear but perhaps not that dear. I had one back in the day and REALLY wish I had it back now.

Cheers,

Phil

Bret4207
12-26-2006, 09:01 AM
It's a replacement bolt handle, or else someone drilled the end and checkered it. Looks to me like it's bent back at a "racier" mid-50's California angle to match the California Monte Carlo stock. A bit gaudy for my tastes.

Phil
12-26-2006, 08:24 PM
I hate it when they do that! The one I had was one of the round knob bolts. The knob was really big! They also made them with a flat knob ala the Browning A Bolt, but the knob was bigger and if I recall, checkered. May be mistaken about that though. All in all, A GREAT rifle. One of my dumbest moves, selling that one.

Cheers,

Phil

Bret4207
12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
I'd love to get the ugly thing, but I'm not much on getting raped like that. I bought a $35.00 Stevens bolt action 410 with a cracked stock instead- at a different shop.