PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Done St. John of Ogden Proud!

Phineas Bluster
05-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Deleted

gray wolf
05-12-2011, 05:09 PM
22#recoil spring?????????????
6# over a standard ???
Why ?

Don't seem right they would not go with 16# recoil and 23# main springs.
(browning standard)
22# spring ( recoil ) would batter the living heck out of my 45's frame going forward.

Are the frames and slides cast or forged ?
I am sure all the small parts are M I M Machine injection molded ( I think )
I don't know of any low end 45 that is made with tool steel small parts.
The pistol looks very nice and I am sure it will shoot great.
The best of luck with it.

exile
05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the review.

exile

475BH
05-12-2011, 06:27 PM
And no FCS, Hoorayyyy!

Dale53
05-13-2011, 02:15 AM
I have had lots of good experience with the 1911 platform over the years. I currently have three (two custom ones and a Kimber CDP Ultra II). I am truly glad to see Ruger has decided to build one here in America at a MOST favorable price. After reading the reviews, if I didn't already have mine I would certainly be in line to buy a Ruger. They sure look like "the real deal"...

Good for them!

Dale53

Bass Ackward
05-13-2011, 06:32 AM
If I didn't already have mine I would certainly be in line to buy a Ruger. They sure look like "the real deal"... Dale53

Well Dale, I am disappointed.

Not a darn thing about how it works. I hear Ruger say 1 1/2" @ 25, but I hear real people saying more like 4".

And here you are with not a single comment on whats really important. :grin:

bobthenailer
05-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the review on the ruger 1911
IMO a 22 lb recoil spring in a full size 1911 in 45 acp is overkill, its extreemely hard on the pistol , ive been shooting & bulding the 1911 since the 1970 and have the wollfe recoil spring calibration pack including the reduced power and have never used that weight spring even with heavy bowling pin loads .

Dale53
05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Here is the review that I read:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

Note the groups...

Dale53

spqrzilla
05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Frankly, Bill Ruger would be rolling in his grave. Ruger manufacturing a 1911 is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Potsy
05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Always been a Ruger fan. Rumor has it that Officer and Commander sizes are soon to follow.
Probably won't run out and trade my Govt. sized Eclipse for a Ruger but I'm GONNA buy and officer's model if they come out with them.

MtGun44
05-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Actually, a 16 lb spring is standard on a 5 inch 1911.

I've handled one. Nicely excuted clone with none of the silly lawyer addons engineered
and excuted by lesser minds, but all the genuine improvements like beavertail, better sights, etc.

The amazing amount of TINY little parts and hair springs in their new LC9 or whatever the
Kelteck PF9 clone is called made me worry that they would add a mag safety, firing pin
block and maybe a Bluetooth permission link to the local PD. Fortunely this is pretty much
a straight John Browning set of mechanicals with some ergonomic improvements and tighter
tolerances that John could have ever imagined would be cost effective.

Nicely done, but have not shot one yet. If they offer a Commander, I WILL buy one.

Groups are excellent and the integral plunger tube is a minor but significant improvement.
1911s rarely lose the plunger tube, but it does happen occasionally and an integral tube is
a small plus in the design. I like the fact that the barrel and bushing are machined as a
matched pair from the same piece of stock and kept together as a match set for the gun.

The groups are impressive! Price is reasonable but I doubt that there will be much discounting
for quite a while.

So - how many makers are turning out 1911s now? Maybe 20 different companies? Darned old
worthless obsolete design. . . . . . . NOT!

Bill

Piedmont
05-15-2011, 02:05 PM
I heard third hand that there is more gun above the safety than on a normal 1911. Is there any truth to that assertion? Maybe the grip safety isn't contoured as well as it should be or something like that.

spqrzilla
05-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Why? ... because the magazine holds more than 5 rounds??

Well, not that so much as Bill Ruger was not known for doing things any but his own way. Copying a design wholesale is just not something he'd ever consider doing.

Don't take my comment the wrong way, I own three Ruger revolvers. And I like the directions that the Ruger company is going in general.

9.3X62AL
05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
This is good news. I own a number of Ruger firearms, and will be delaying acquisition of a Commander variant in 45 ACP until I see the Ruger offering and its pricing. I think Ruger will have its work cut out for them to best the current Colt Commander XSE I saw at SHOT this year, but I'll hide and watch. Maybe having Ruger to compete with will cause Colt to scale back their MSRP just a click or two.

Dale53
05-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Al;
>>>Maybe having Ruger to compete with will cause Colt to scale back their MSRP just a click or two. <<<

Don't hold your breath. I have watched Colt for well over a half of a century and those people just DON'T get it. They had the whole market for the AR tied up and dropped the ball on that. They had the whole market tied up with the single action army and dropped the ball on that. They had the whole market tied up with the 1911 and dropped the market on that. Need I go on? It is a sorry organization and I don't look for change in spite of the optimism I have heard.

Their forte is sub-standard products at ridiculous prices...

Dale53

ItZaLLgooD
05-16-2011, 03:30 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what was the price?? I have seen some of the newer Colts ad Springfields for $750-$850.

trickyasafox
05-16-2011, 06:00 PM
They seem to be going for under 700 on gunbroker

9.3X62AL
05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Dale, I got pinched--woke up--and stopped dreaming. :)

The base-model Colt 1911A1s don't impress me--at all. For a $100-$125 upward price bump, the XSEs are DARN NICE. Colt probably doesn't get it, but if you watch what you buy--they do have some good stuff available.

I'm not married to The Rampant Colt marque. There are some very nice 1911A1s out there these days. It annoys me that so few makers offer a true Commander variant--an actual 4-1/4" barrel, minus that lame-azzed bobtailing or 3.5"-4" barrel. COMMANDER MEANS 4-1/4" BARREL, DANG IT. Call me traditional, and opinionated. If the Ruger Commander's price point is in the $750-$825 ZIP Code, done deal. I do like the absence of firing pin locks and other unnecessary detritus on a 1911A1.

Combat Diver
05-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Are the frames and slides cast or forged ?

The frames are Pine Tree castings. Same ones Ruger makes for STI. The slides are forged.

CD

Lloyd Smale
05-17-2011, 06:22 AM
correct answer. 22lb springs are put in commander lenght guns. I couldnt imagine a load in a full sized gun that would require an 18 let alone a 22lb spring.
Actually, a 16 lb spring is standard on a 5 inch 1911.

I've handled one. Nicely excuted clone with none of the silly lawyer addons engineered
and excuted by lesser minds, but all the genuine improvements like beavertail, better sights, etc.

The amazing amount of TINY little parts and hair springs in their new LC9 or whatever the
Kelteck PF9 clone is called made me worry that they would add a mag safety, firing pin
block and maybe a Bluetooth permission link to the local PD. Fortunely this is pretty much
a straight John Browning set of mechanicals with some ergonomic improvements and tighter
tolerances that John could have ever imagined would be cost effective.

Nicely done, but have not shot one yet. If they offer a Commander, I WILL buy one.

Groups are excellent and the integral plunger tube is a minor but significant improvement.
1911s rarely lose the plunger tube, but it does happen occasionally and an integral tube is
a small plus in the design. I like the fact that the barrel and bushing are machined as a
matched pair from the same piece of stock and kept together as a match set for the gun.

The groups are impressive! Price is reasonable but I doubt that there will be much discounting
for quite a while.

So - how many makers are turning out 1911s now? Maybe 20 different companies? Darned old
worthless obsolete design. . . . . . . NOT!

Bill

chaos
05-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Well Dale, I am disappointed.

Not a darn thing about how it works. I hear Ruger say 1 1/2" @ 25, but I hear real people saying more like 4".

And here you are with not a single comment on whats really important. :grin:

He is the first two mags out of my Commander length SR1911 that I picked up today. Shot at 15 yards...she runs circles around my Colts. Not quite as good as my springfields. I'm sure it will do better when I ditch the 3 dot sights. I despise novak sights

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/IMAG01901_zps9716f006.jpg (http://s151.photobucket.com/user/colbcheese/media/IMAG01901_zps9716f006.jpg.html)

9.3X62AL
05-04-2013, 09:09 PM
No flies circling THAT performance! I had a chance about one month ago to handle and fire a Ruger Commander variant. I was VERY impressed with its reliability and accuracy.

Dale53
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
A local friend bought a new Ruger 1911 and he is extremely happy with it. It looks to be the real thing, that's for sure. It certainly represents EXCELLENT value for the money, too!!

Good show!
Dale53