PDA

View Full Version : Bi-pod options

danski26
05-12-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm looking for an upgrade to the Harris bi-pods. It will be going on my 30-338 and will be used for long range hunting but mostly semi-formal and informal target shooting. No sanctioned f-class rules needed. I'm just looking for a better bi-pod than the Harris. I have a freeland rail on the rifle. I can make an attatchment adapter, thats not a big deal.

I have seen Sinclairs tactical/f-class model and that looks very interesting. Kinda expensive though. Does anyone have any experience with the Sinclair model? Or is there any other brands I should look at?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
dabski26,

No tips on a bi-pid, but a tip as per your rifle which may help.

Back a good number of years, my boys and I were out hunting rock chucks, the oldest son with his RUGER 6mm heavy barrel.

That rifle shot very well, but on that trip, we had a bi-pod installed and Jeff was missing easy shots.

Finally we took some sighters at a flat rock face aways out and the rifle was clearly hitting high.

The problem, barrel pressure caused by the uses of the bi-pod.

So, if you have a bi-pod in use, make sure you have a very ridged stock, or better yet a fully floated barrel.

When we got home from that trip, the barrel was floated and that took care of the stock to barrel pressure problem.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

redneckdan
05-12-2011, 11:26 PM
The sinclair bipod is the next step up from the harris. after that you pretty much go to the bench rests, they can also be used on the ground.

onondaga
05-14-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm curious why you are unhappy with the Harris. I've had the same Harris #25 for over 30 years and it adjusts from prone to sitting. I use a sling with it also and have hit deer at over 500 yards with it. I have no complaints, I selected the model because it adjusts so high for comfortable sitting.

I have only seen one Sinclair model, it seems like a high quality unit but it is so short it would only be helpful in prone position.

Gotta agree on getting or making a rest for bench shooting over using a bi-pod at the bench. You can save a bundle building your own. Here is mine, and I have $200+ rests I let the kids use now.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/AtBench.jpg

Gary

danski26
05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm only looking for a short model to use in the prone. The mounting is the thing that is getting me with the Harris model. I have a freeland rail on the rifle. There is an adapter for the rail to the Harris but is seems quite flimsy. What I am wanting is a heavier duty bi-pod. Weight is not a problem for this rifle. It is already 14lbs.

onondaga
05-15-2011, 02:10 AM
I have seen and handled the rail adapter for the Harris. The looks may be deceiving you. I bet it locks up tight, and it is inexpensive enough to try if you already have the Harris. Another option would be to have a dealer show you how the Harris rail adapter works. They want to help you be satisfied.

Gary

sagamore-one
05-15-2011, 06:52 AM
I up graded from a Harris to a Versa Pod which is a fairly well executed copy of the British Parker Hale. I currently have 3 Harris , 3 Versa pod, and a Parker Hale. The Harris is light duty, the Versa Pod is medium to heavy duty, the Parker Hale is bullet proof,almost indestructable. Mounting either the PH or V Pod reguires a "spigot" available as a single piece for direct in the stock installation, or several adapters are offered, including an adapter for your accessory rail. The V Pod is offered with either steel "sled" feet , or with rubber "crutch tip" feet. The rubber seems to work better off a bench.The sled feet are quite nice in grass or mud.
Only drawback I can see with the PH and V pod is cost. But you only get what you pay for.

danski26
05-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I'll look into the Parker Hale.....thanks!