PDA

View Full Version : Oversized dovetail - Fix?

ilcop22
05-11-2011, 10:17 PM
'Evening,

I've decided to replace the terrible sights on my Rossi M92. The rear sight was an easy replacement, but the front sight dovetail cut is too wide. I have the new front site shimmed up to fit, but it looks terrible. Are there any permenant solutions to getting a proper fit aside from buying a different front sight or shimming? I'm considering using a cold weld, but I'm not sure if that will hold up against the recoil. Thanks!

Molly
05-12-2011, 12:16 AM
JB Weld, epoxy, tap the top of the dovetail down a bit, shim the bottom of the front sight, solder a shim to the front side of the front sight and blacken with solder black (brownells), use some epoxy / jb weld to add a shim to the dovetail ... any of these should do it for you.

fecmech
05-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Use a set of feeler gauges to get the correct tight thickness between the sight bottom and the barrel. Cut a small piece off the feeler gauge to fit under the sight and tap the sight in over the feeler gauge with some red loctite or epoxy. It won't move!

S.R.Custom
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Drill & tap the front sight for a set-screw.

andremajic
05-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Since no one's recommended it yet, just make your own oversized dovetail front sight. I made one for a 1911 slide that had an oversized dovetail with nothing more than a rough and fine cut file and a couple hours work. I used some spare steel from a rear sight that was cut off another rifle.

When you get it to the approximate size, just do a test fit every so often until it matches. You should be able to eyeball it to approximate size. Then when it starts to just get started in the dovetail, use a sharpie marker to find the high spots and slowly remove the material until it has a snug fit.

Takes time, but as my dad says; If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to fix it?