PDA

View Full Version : They are trying to blow up this Hi Point

jh45gun
05-11-2011, 10:47 AM
http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/long-gun-journal/2011/04/bag-job

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg)

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test RELOADED (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw)

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4)

Pretty tough guns if you ask me.

Note they finally blew it up by making it a pipe bomb by putting a bolt in the end of the barrel and filling the barrel full of powder then clamping end to end so the bolt could not come out and the slide not move. Before this it still shot after they took it apart and ground down the bulge in the barrel again.

sisiphunter
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Ive seen the guns and ammo version and was impressed there, now these tests went above and beyond. im impressed with that pistol, im sure it wont be a 100 yd sharpshooter, but thats not what it is made for.

klcarroll
05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
JEEZ!!! .......This whole "Let's destroy a Hi Point" thing has gotten totally out of hand!

What started out as an attempt by critics to discredit a "cheap design" has turned into some sort of bizarre circus sideshow; ….And while these video clips are certainly amusing as all hell, I think it is time to start leaving comments on these videos that “call” the contributor on poor Scientific Method!

In order for ANY “Test to Failure” test to have any meaning, there has to be a “control element” in the experiment. If the video testers inflicted EXACTLY the same abuse on BOTH a Hi Point and a Glock at each stage of their test, then we might actually get some good comparative data.

…..But in spite of poor scientific procedure, these videos have told people like me a number of important things about Hi Point weapons:

1) Hi Points exhibit an acceptable level of reliability for a Personal Defense Weapon.

2) Hi Points are truly robust enough for “+P” level ammo.

3) With their fixed barrel, Hi Points exhibit accuracy comparable to the general run of “PDWs”.

4) Being an unlocked breach, straight blowback design, Hi Points tolerate barrel obstructions and overloads far better than many locked breach weapons.

5) With the proper use of modern, appropriate materials and production procedures, Hi Point has shown us that a serviceable “PDW” really can be produced for a price that doesn’t require the end user to take out a second mortgage! (Think about it: …Where else can you get a .45 semi-auto for the price of six boxes of ammo???)

6) ….And the same cost effective materials and procedures allow the company to extend a lifetime warranty that seems to cover anything you can think of; ….Including simply wearing the SOB out!!!

My Bottom Line: ……I have a .40 Hi Point on the way, and I am planning on buying a .45 and 9mm ASAP! I feel very strongly that companies like Hi Point DESERVE my support!

Industry Bottom Line: …….Winchester and Remington should be giving away free Hi Points with every case of 1000 rounds!:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Kent

Buddy
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Alot of people look down their noses at Hi Point pistols but facts are facts. I gave a 45acp to my brother a couple of years ago and it rides either in his p/u toolbox or the toolbox on his farm tractor. If it ever breaks send it back they are warranted for the life of the gun. Made in USA is a plus as is the price. They won't win a beauty contest or an IDPA match but aren't designed to. They don't fit my hand or I would have kept the darned thing. His has had a couple thousand rounds thru it and has not had the first malfunction. Butt ugly, but functional and cheap.

300winmag
05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I watched all the videos, I have the 380 and the 9mm never thought they would with stand all that. I personally do not think my springfield 1911 45 acp would hold up to that.

roverboy
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I use to work with a guy that talked about Hi-Points being JUNK. I told him for the price I don't think it would matter. I hope he's seen some of these videos. They are built like a tank.

9.3X62AL
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I watched all the videos, I have the 380 and the 9mm never thought they would with stand all that. I personally do not think my springfield 1911 45 acp would hold up to that.

1911s are VERY robust pistols. Some of the destruction attempts done by Cal-DOJ Lab personnel showed that 1911A1s will repeatedly function and stay intact with dozens of Bullseye double-charges under 230 grain FMJs. Compressed triple charges blew the mag and contents out, and blew the grip panels loose--but the chamber held. Swollen, and the slide wouldn't move--but it held.

Kids, don't try this at home.

ktw
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
I watched one of the videos and thought "It's going to be a real b*tch finding that brass when you fling it all over a grassy field like that".

-ktw

jh45gun
05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
1911s are VERY robust pistols. Some of the destruction attempts done by Cal-DOJ Lab personnel showed that 1911A1s will repeatedly function and stay intact with dozens of Bullseye double-charges under 230 grain FMJs. Compressed triple charges blew the mag and contents out, and blew the grip panels loose--but the chamber held. Swollen, and the slide wouldn't move--but it held.

Kids, don't try this at home.

I don't think any of us dispute how strong a 1911 is after all it is a John Browning design. I posted these because a lot of folks think these guns are junk because of the price. Though I am impressed with the support of the members here that like them or want one which I have found at some other forums too which is great.

To be honest I did not know what to expect myself until I bought the 45 and shot it myself. It is a keeper as far as I am concerned especially for the price and the warranty how can you go wrong. The fixed barrel aids in accuracy too.

Since the designer came up with a blow back design that works well with center fire ammo is to be applauded.

Buddy a lot of guys put those rubber sleeves made for grips for a better hand fit and feel.