PDA

View Full Version : Gun show reloads potential disaster

philthephlier
05-11-2011, 10:21 AM
A while back I was out shooting with a friend who brought out his SA Omega in 10MM, a high performance pistol for a high performance cartridge. In a moment of weakness he had bought a ziploc bag of reloads at a gunshow marked 10MM 155 gr. RNFP, copper plated. First four shots didn't feel quite right so he stopped firing and went hunting for the 4 cases. Every one was a hair away from rupturing through a large bulge in the side of the web of the case. We pulled several bullets later and discovered that the loads were obviously hot from the experience at the range but the bullets were 180 grain, not 155. So a hot load for the lightest bullets found in 10 MM cases was actually throwing the heaviest bullets for the 10MM case. Pressures through the roof in an already high pressure cartridge. To make matters worse we measured several cases we pulled bullets from and they measured from .008" under trim to length to .007" over max. case length. I am sure he will never buy gun show reloads again and I would exhort everyone reading this it is not worth the risk no matter how lucky the past has been to you.

Trey45
05-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't buy anyones reloads, I don't really like anyone else shooting my reloads, but I have relented a few times. There is only one person whose reloads I will shoot other than my own, and that's only because i have shot with this person long enough to know they know what they're doing.

mdi
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't buy anyones reloads, I don't really like anyone else shooting my reloads, but I have relented a few times. There is only one person whose reloads I will shoot other than my own, and that's only because i have shot with this person long enough to know they know what they're doing.

Exactly! The closest I've come to using someone else's reloads is buying reloads from the range I used to shoot at.

Doby45
05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
If they are not a licensed ammunition manufacturer I do not buy their stuff. It is either factory ammunition or my own reloads. Nothing else.

Jim
05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
What Trey and Doby said.

Springfield
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't even trust my own reloads( for other people). I used to load cowboy loads for a friend but decided I just didn't need the liability. So now I run his cases through my Dillon, size, deprime, flare the case. Then he comes over and on his Rockchucker I mounted in my shop he charges and seats/crimps the bullet. His components, he does the dangerous part. Helps him out and now if he blows up his gun it's on him. I do supervise as much as possible as he really isn't a reloader, but I think I have reduced the danger as much as possible.

45-70 Chevroner
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
A cowboy shooter I know in our SASS club was ordering reloads from a catalog (38 Specials) some of them would reach the targets (21' away) some of them would plop out on the ground 4 or 5 feet from the target, and some would almost tear his hand off with recoil. He was not a reloader but those reloads made a believer out of him so he invested in reloading equipment. I won't reload for anyone except my family.

btroj
05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I can't even fathom the idea of buying gunshow reloads.

Like has been said, factory or mine. I have shot loads from my FIL but he taught me to reload and 25 plus years has told me I can trust his loads.

Can't remember last time I shot factory though.

W.R.Buchanan
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
This gets talked about over and over and is one of the set in stone mantras of shooting.

That said shooting someone elses .45 ACP's is a far cry from shooting 10MM's

Buying ammo from an unknown source for a hotrod like the 100MM is just asking for trouble.

I don't know what more can be said.

Randy

sisiphunter
05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree to all. only loads i will shoot are mine or my dad's since that where I learned to reload anyways and has proven good for 25 years now. Only person I let shoot my loads are me and my son. Ya its a family love affair with shooting and reloading. :)

Char-Gar
05-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I run across folks shooting "Baggie Brand" ammo at the range quite often. I try and stay as far away from them as I can, so I won't get hit by the debris.

Huntducks
05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Back when 9mm was dirt cheap I bought reloads from a outfit that mfg them never had a problem they came in a nice white box with there name stamped on it at the time it was about a buck more then I could reload for.

NO ZIP LOCK BAGS HERE.

I won't shoot any friends reloads.

gnoahhh
05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I made that mistake once, 23 years ago. I blew up a minty Colt Police Positive .32 using "Baggie brand" reloads from a show. It was pretty exciting. The top strap bent up in a "U", and the top three chambers in the cylinder disappeared. Felt and sounded like a .357 going off. Learned that lesson the hard way.

rugerglocker
05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
I run across folks shooting "Baggie Brand" ammo at the range quite often. I try and stay as far away from them as I can, so I won't get hit by the debris.

Nice!:-)

sqlbullet
05-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah...Even reloads among friends are questionable. One thing to get my hands all bloody because of my mistake, another to have them that way because of someone else.

So a hot load for the lightest bullets found in 10 MM cases was actually throwing the heaviest bullets for the 10MM case.

Actually, 135 gr is the lightest 10mm bullet, and 230 is the heaviest, at least commercially. See Double Tap Ammo.

hhranch
05-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Actually there isn't anything wrong with buying reloads as long as you get them cheap enough that you can break them down, throw the powder away and use the primed brass and/or bullets. The problem lies in putting them in your gun when you don't know what is in each and every one of them.

fredj338
05-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I NEVER shoot any reloads but my own or factory manuf (BlackHills, GA,etc). Shooting strange reloads is like sex w/ a prostitute; you never know how it's going to go or what you'll walk aways with.:shock:

05-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I pass along some rounds to friends but never exceed manual limits. Friends get Christmas presents of ammo--never had any returned--lol.

captaint
05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
A guy at work gave me some .223 that his dad had loaded up, prior to passing away. Never could bring myself to shoot them. I have plenty of brass and loaded .223 of my own,, so one of these days I'll have to pull em down and get it over with... Mike

nes4ever69
05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
i have come across the baggie rounds. no thanks i roll my own i tell them.

the only thing that comes in a baggie i would be tempted to buy, is odd ball looking lead projectiles to load up.

the fun is when they say i custom make these rounds hotter then factory and highly accurate.

Bwana
05-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I have seen a magazine blown out of a 1911 when "gunshow reloads" were being used. Then again I blew out a magazine out of one of my Star PDs when I was getting a little wild. Haven't gone there with anything with an unsupported case since then.
I have six ammo boxes of 38spl and 357mag ammo that my mother in law's third, and last, husband loaded up. I took them as I looked on his labels and they were all one half grain over the max listed in the manuels he was using. I don't think he actually fired any of those rounds. He just liked to reload. He also had around 2000 rnds of 243 Win that I left for the auction as I didn't want to mess with them.
Shooting unkown ammo is sorta like that other saying about purchasing something; Let the buyer beware. I have only shot my centerfire rounds for the last 31 years.
I also cringe at people that pick up discarded ammo at the range, put it in their gun, and pull the trigger. I have seen that more than a few times.

BLTsandwedge
05-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Don't stop at reloads. Mis-labeled components got me in trouble. A box labeled 88 grain hollow points that I bought for my Makarov .380 proved to be 115 grain hollow points. That's the one and only time I've blown a magazine. I did find the case- had a nice, gaping smiley from the unsupported chamber. The case is attached to my Dillon as a reminder.

Shiloh
05-11-2011, 08:21 PM
If one buys reloads, and I don't, You better know the vendor and who is doing the reloading.
If I recall, one must have a manufacturing license to produce ammo for sale.

Other than .22 LR and some factory handgun ammo, I haven't purchased ammo in decades.
Lots of cast bullets before I started casting my own.

Shiloh

Hardcast416taylor
05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Firstly, I don`t buy any sort of reloads - no matter who says they are "just fine fer shootin`". Secondly, I don`t vend my reloads at shows or for that matter at all. Thirdly, I take offense to the term "baggie reloads" as I load for many calibers and often in the 1000`s for a given caliber I will bag the loads up in 50 per bag lots along with the data of that load for my shooting. So the all encompassing terms you are throwing about in your comments can have a double meaning for 2 different circumstances. What about the loaders that put their reloads loose in an ammo can, would you call his 9mm loads "can-nines"?Robert

Trey45
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I thought it was pretty clear that when they were saying "baggie reloads" they were talking about the reloads one see's at every gunshow for sale, packaged in those clear plastic ziplock baggies.

I didn't see anyone reference a persons own reloads for their own personal use being packaged in plastic baggies.

It really wasn't clear what they were talking about? Seriously?

ke5ldo
05-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Exactly!

kyswede
05-11-2011, 09:33 PM
A guy I used to work with gave me 100 rounds of 45 ACP, 200 gr. SWC reloads. I have not fired any and will pull bullets and dump powder, then reload with my powder. I will be out about $2 in powder, a small price for being safe.
kyswede