PDA

View Full Version : Between a Great Strait

ColColt
05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
The Apostle Paul said, when trying to decide which would be better for him, that he was "in a strait betwixt two". That's kind of where I am with two great lubes, the Carnuba Red and BAC. I've tried the Carnuba Red and while it does smoke less I don't find it aiding in leading issues anymore than others. I'm in the process of trying the BAC and have sized and lubed about 100 so far I'll be trying out this weekend.

For those that have used either or both for a lot longer than I have, what are your impressions of these two lubes say, in the 357 and 44 Mag calibers with velocities varying between 1000-1400 fps...less smoke with one of the other as compared to Brand X and/or less leading with either?

EDK
05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I'd be inclined to experiment with boolit hardness and diameter when leading is a problem. I was getting some leading at BH 15 and dropped to 10-to-12 hardness and the leading went away. (I load for about 1000 feet per second mid range loads.) Boolits were Blammer's 429352, Mihec H&G 503, and NOE clone of RANCH DOG'S TLC 432 265...all plain base, sized to .432 and lubed with LARS' 50/50 OR B-A-C.

I've got a lot of ammo loaded with the hard boolits and either a CHORE BOY treatment or shooting six of the gas checked RANCH DOG design will clean the barrel afterwards..no big thing, but leading is a PITA. I'm doing 48 rounds+ daily out of an assortment of 44 VAQUEROS...and occasionally 357s.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Doby45
05-11-2011, 12:02 AM
I have used both CR and BAC for a while. I even mixed the two together for a while and I have finally gone to CR for everything I load in handgun. Smoke is a major issue for me and CR simply smokes less than BAC, but performance wise I also found them to be the same.

BulletFactory
05-11-2011, 12:06 AM
I got a lot of goo in the gun from BAC.

noylj
05-11-2011, 12:51 AM
I can't say anything about the two from first hand experience, but I would be more tempted to try BAC for either pan lubbing or Lubrisizing since I simply can't see a NEED for a handgun lube so hard it needs to be heated.
Also, I find that 50:50 BW:Alox worked well back when I ran my Lubrisizer and LLA works so well as a tumble lube for me, that I would tend to be prejudiced to first try any lube that contains some Alox.
Since I only notice smoke when I am looking for it and the smoke disperses before my next shot, it just has never been an issue for me. Even firing bowling pin matches (getting under 4 seconds for 5 pins), I simply never noticed any smoke.

ColColt
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I shoot in an indoor range so smoke is a great factor. Of course some powders are worse offenders than others with Unique being one of the worse for me but ,I know lube also is a factor as well. I don't have a heater for my sizer so much use the butane/75 watt lamp trick to keep CR pliable and easy to disperse...no big thing really but just was curious if BAC was just as good or better as for leading.

I've got some rounds ready for the test on the 44 and the bullets were lubed with BAC so, we'll see this weekend. I hope my hand can take the punishment after the little accident I had with a run in with a block of lead last Saturday but, I think all will be ok come Friday.

runfiverun
05-11-2011, 10:28 PM
i made my bac by using b-wax, xlox and carnuba red.
i also added a bit of paraffin and some lanolin to the mix.
i have taken it up over 2300 easily enough and have never noticed much smoke.
an occasional poof even less than i have seen with some jaxketed rounds.

leftiye
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Where's Lars?

runfiverun
05-12-2011, 12:54 AM
in pocatello. :lol: