PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret Press with Auto-Index

ordway
12-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I would like to hear any and all comments concerning this press from pistol reloaders who have had experience with it.
Thanks, ordway@intergate.com.

454PB
12-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I own three of these, the newest is the Lee Classic Turret. My opinion may not be worth much, because I don't normally use the auto advance feature. I used the auto advance enough to see that it functions as designed, then removed the associated parts. I have this aversion to progressive loading. Since I enjoy handloading and view it as a great pastime, I don't really care how quickly I pile up loaded rounds. I also think progressive loading offers too many chances for error.

However, I really like the Lee turrets, and have loaded many tens of thousands of rounds on the original three holers with great success. I have a turret for each caliber I load, and leave the die set installed and adjusted for each. To change calibers, it takes about 10 seconds to change turrets and shell holders.

Ranch Dog
12-22-2006, 01:05 AM
I've had a 4-hole turret for 6 years now and load about 10,000 rounds of ammo per year with it. I do use the Auto-Index for all my pistol cartridges and a bunch of rifle cartridges (218 Bee, 223, 30 Carbine, 30-30, 30-30, 35 Rem, etc.). I also have the Lee LoadMaster Progressive press but prefer the automated turret press any day. I remove the Auto-Index drive as I set the turrets in place for my large straight wall cartridges.

Like 454PB said, buy a extra turret for each caliber. I have the Auto-Disk powder measure set up for my pistol cartridges with the adjustable charge bar. I use the Micro-Disk charge bar with my 25 ACP. With the rifle cartridges, I have a Double Pro-Disk and use an adjustable charge bar as the upper disk. With this bar on either powder dispenser, you can get an exact charge you want to deliver.

I can't think of a better press.

Dale53
12-22-2006, 02:23 AM
The Lee Turret press is a genuine classic. I have had loading presses for over fifty years (started with a single stage Pacific). I now have a Pro 1000 Lee, a Lee Turret, and a Dillon 550B.

If I am going to load 200 rounds or less, it is faster to use the Lee Turret than set the Dillon up (particularly, if I have to change primer size). So, I enjoy having both. I can do about 200 an hour with the Lee (pistol cartridges with the auto index and Lee Pro Disk measure). Really innovative ideas from Lee. If I need real volume, it's the Dillon 550B, hands down. I have an RCBS Rockchucker for those single stage chores (case forming, cutting wads, etc).

Dale53

IcerUSA
12-22-2006, 03:27 AM
I just started reloading this year and got the Classic Turret 4 holer. all my calibers are set up and ready to change in about 15 seconds, also have my full length dies and deprimer and ram prime set up, can do alot of stuff for the tumbler this way, not just my stuff :) so far I'm very happy with this press, also have a set up for resizeing :)

monadnock#5
12-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I bought a Classic 4 hole turret press in Nov. from Midway to load handgun ammo. I'm quite impressed with it. It's a very solid machine. So far I've loaded 400 rnds. of .38 spec. and 200 rnds. of 9mm (all with cast boolits!) without a hiccup from the machine. I didn't bother buying a primer feed. I use an RCBS universal decapper in a Bonanza coax. After tumbling I seat primers with a Lee auto prime. I'm not using a Lee powder measure either. At the time Midway was "out of stock, backorder OK:bigsmyl2:", so I put a Lyman 55 measure that came with my first reloading kit to use, and found that it complements the turret press perfectly. I love it when it all comes together.:Fire:

KCSO
12-22-2006, 10:37 AM
I bought one of the first auto advance turrets from Lee when they first came out, 1982??. We used that press to load all the practice ammo for 3 local departments and at last count that press has loaded 150,000 rounds of pistol ammo. This isn't couonting the rifle ammo and bullet sizing either. The auto advance was scrapped when we quit mass loading but the rest of the press is still good. I bought a classic steel version when they came out and it works as good as any turret perss I have ever used. These are not a Dillon, but you can make a bunch of ammo in short order and for the price i don't think you can beat them.

Dale53
12-22-2006, 12:13 PM
150,000 rounds through a Lee Turret Press - I told you that Lee equipment wouldn't last LOL LOL[smilie=1:

I have been recommending Lee Turret presses for years to both beginners and old timers. Even if eventually you need a Dillon 550B, the Lee is a great press to start with and learn about the practice of reloading. After a few thousand rounds with the Lee, THEN start to think about a progressive press. I have said it on here before, Progressives are not for everyone. You should have some mechanical ability before you even think about a progressive. Nearly all of those "KA-BOOMS" have been caused by misuse of a progressive press. Now, do not misunderstand. I am very much a fan of a good progressive press but caution should be the watchword.

To give an example, I have two friends who are absolutely non-mechanical. They are quality people in most every way. However, when they were passing out mechanical ability they both were standing behind the door. I have coached both of them in a number of endeavors, and successfully, I might add. However, when it came to reloading, I insisted that they use a single stage press. They loaded thousands of rounds of ammo with never a problem (I taught them by rote). I guarantee you, on a Progressive Press, sooner or later, they would have a problem. There is no disgrace in that.

Each and everyone of us has certain limitations. We need to recognize that. I have a buddy in a wheelchair who is without the use of his legs. He ain't gonna win many foot races. However, he is an accomplished "offhand" shot and competes regularly in our .22 silhouette matches. He is VERY competitive. We cut him no slack whatsoever and he prefers it that way. As Clint Eastwood stated, a man needs to know his limitations. So, if you have a "lack" (for want of a better word) recognize it and then work around it. The bottom line is Progressive Presses are for those of us who were born with mechanical ability. I give thanks that I have some mechanical ability but I do NOT look down on those that don't. I just help them and try to keep them out of trouble:-D

Dale53

mooman76
12-22-2006, 02:22 PM
That's why I went no farther than a Turret press. It is slow enough for me to still pay attention to details. I don't use the auto function, just use it like a single stage. I get to compacent!

mag_01
12-22-2006, 05:48 PM
I 'v had one for many years and it has served me well---I would buy another if I needed it.

trickyasafox
12-22-2006, 07:05 PM
wow i responded to this a few days ago, and my post got eaten!

synopsis- i like mine and would definetly buy again! i have the original, not classic cast

ETA-my post didn't get eaten, its in the other thread sorry :)

enfieldphile
12-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Here is a good review of the Lee Classic Turret (Cast Iron) press.

I have one of these presses, it's great!

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/leeturretpress/index.asp

utk
12-23-2006, 04:37 AM
Here is another review:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

biggome
12-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I have used a "3 hole" Lee turret press quite a bit over the years, the auto advance feature never worked well even with a lot of fooling around and new bushings. I also use the auto disk powder measure with good results though they need a bit of finishing and tightening up to work with fine spherical powders like WC-820.

Though I have a pile of Lee loaders, a Rockchucker as well as two other single stage presses, a Lyman Tru Line Jr. and two Dillon 650's, If I could only have one press it would be the Lee turret press and auto disk measures, they are strong enough for just about anything within reason and the ability to change calibers can't be beat!

Paul

dragonrider
12-23-2006, 10:20 AM
First let me correct an oversight, Hello and welcome to IcerUSA and Enfieldphile, hopefully both of you will be around for a long time and give forth some of your expertise, I know you will like it here this is a great forum with much experience and knowledge.
Now about the Lee press, I have two, one is about 17 years old and has been rebuilt a couple of time the other I have had for about 9 years and hasn't got much use from me yet. I load 380 and 9 mm on them. Not many problems with it in general, you do have to keep an eye on the primer feed and powder level and be sure to make absolutely full strokes as this can cause low powder levels. Overall a good press.