PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant surprise at the recyclers

44fanatic
05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Got a pleasant surprise when I took the zinc/steel WW's and copper jackets to the recycler today. Only got $24 for the 125lbs of WW's but got $212 for the 77lbs of jackets. Kicking myself in the butt for throwing away two full buckets of jackets about 8months ago when another recycler didnt want them, was probably about 100lbs or more in there.

Checked to see if they sold lead to individuals...nope, only commercial sales.

Thinking its about time to get a Lee Load All and drop the rest of the money in the "new gun" fund.

beagle
05-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Darn good score on teh jackets anyway. Hate to think how many I've tossed over the years...../beagle

EMC45
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
My local yard told me 3.05 lb for #2 copper.....

44fanatic
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
They gave me $2.79 a lb on them. Guess I need to see if I can still clean up the sheriffs indoor range.

JeffinNZ
05-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Scrap prices are insane right now. Dealers buying lead at $3.00lb. That's why I JUMPED at 650lb of WW etc at $1.00lb from a shooter.

Boz330
05-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Checked to see if they sold lead to individuals...nope, only commercial sales.

Try Green Earth Recyclers up in Hoptown. The farm I hunt on is owned by a guy who works there. He sells me lead, BUT, that might be because his dad and I were really good friends. His dad use to cast and supported his trap shooting habit making shot in the winter when the farming was slow.

Bob

leadman
05-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't throw any metal away. Some of the recyclers here are even paying $.25 a pound for plastic bottles!

gew98
05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I worked in a salvage yard for soem years in the 80's and 90's in NJ after I got out of the Army. I can't tell you how much strange I have have seen therein. I used to buy cartridge cases for $1 a pound from my boss back then... and I'm telling you it was almost all once fired primo brass I culled out to buy !. I used to sell 7,000 9mm once fired cases back then packed in a 5 gallon bucket for 5 cents each plus postage !. Those were the days !. When I moved to Madison County KY back in 94 I found an almost desert in such things. Nothingmuch changed in that regards now that I live outside Ft Knox... but I have alot more impact area and no shortage of targets come hunting season !.

gew98
05-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Oh an on scrap prices I took some berdan primed 308 & 303 brass to the only game in my area and got $3.77 lb for "brass shells". Man when I worked in a salvage yard we called any cartridge brass "70/30 clip" ( percentage of copper & zinc ). No2 copper was a good bit higher !.
On a sidenote back in the late 80's and 90's when I worked at that NJ salvage company my employer had been selling loads of brass to the taiwanese... and somehow his buyer got locked up in taiwan as he had culled alot of live ammo out of the scrap... bad karma to have live ammo in a no guns allowed government run society. After that I got free space to go through all the "ammo" and got to keep any live ammo. One day a fellow came in with two five gallon buckets of WW2 dated 30 carbine ammo... since it was live boss would not buy it. So the guy left it outside the gate by the dumpster. Needless to say back then my two M1 carbines got one helluva workout over the next couple weekends.... those were the days !.
I could go on ...but I'll leave it with this.... back in 1992 we had been getting 40 yd boxes of scrap from NWST Earle and tragically there was an old artilelry shell equivalent to a 105mm stuffed in one of the old pier pipes and a friend of mine had the misfortune of operating a linkbelt excavator with LaBounty shear attachment and detonated it. Wrecked his machine bad , killed him and knocked the winshield from my machine into my lap along with alot of debris. That's not the first ordnance I saw in that job , but it was the first and only fatal ordnance there. Other's I worked with killed on the job were just sheer stupidity and needless. But that's how we learn I guess.

44fanatic
05-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I worked in a salvage yard for soem years in the 80's and 90's in NJ after I got out of the Army. I can't tell you how much strange I have have seen therein. I used to buy cartridge cases for $1 a pound from my boss back then... and I'm telling you it was almost all once fired primo brass I culled out to buy !. I used to sell 7,000 9mm once fired cases back then packed in a 5 gallon bucket for 5 cents each plus postage !. Those were the days !. When I moved to Madison County KY back in 94 I found an almost desert in such things. Nothingmuch changed in that regards now that I live outside Ft Knox... but I have alot more impact area and no shortage of targets come hunting season !.

I wouldnt mind getting back the the Ft Knox area but its to close the In Laws (just north of Louisville), and they would be around to much...seriously.

Do you ever hunt Ft Knox. Read up on it a few times and it seems a bit of a pain. Ft Campbell is just a few minutes away so I spend most of my hunting time there.

gew98
05-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Hunting on Fort Knox is by lottery... but as much as whom you know more often. But that being said it's not a good place to hunt as you are not allowed to stalk and what little area they place you in is it...move from that and you're out !.
Where I grew up in central NJ there was no end to farms , fields and woods to hunt !. The deer were well fed and big , the rabbits by the bucket and squirrels all you could want !. Before I left the new jerkistan laws squeezed alot of hunting land out of the picture with no discharge of firearms zones ( I am not joking ) and of course most of those old family farms bankrupted due to property taxes and sold off for developement. Sad but true.
And for some time in madison county Ky in Richmond/Berea/Paint Lick it was great hunting on some larger farms the owners of which my late father and I befriended.... but with so many old folks passing and expansion of Richmond & state pork barrel hwy projects, then the absolute chicken thieves that dominate southern madison and Garrard counties it was no longer a good place to live. You know it's time to move when they want to come through a rural area and put a highway through your dad's grave , then you have to pull a gun on a chicken thief trying to steal **** out of your yard at night , they try and steal your neighbors truck , they break into your brother's house etc etc. They never got me because I was vigilant and they new I shot first and asked questions later..... somethign the army taught me better than growing up in new jerky did .
Now out where I am southwest of L'ville...there is wildlife , freedom and good old fashioned country neighbors , no city bollocks and no local crime. The few that do such are known and a good pointed conversation about coming to them directly if something turns up missing pretty much cut that **** out. But man I digress...my bad .
On coyotes again , the last one I nailed was about two months ago... it came across my lawn in broad daylight right from the woods and headed into the neighbors cattle pasture..... well it thought it was going to but a .223 55 gn FMJ dropped it like a ton of bricks at 200 yds.
Sure do like my old beater AR15.