PDA

View Full Version : Clayton & Lambert furnace

Naphtali
05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
My shooting partner just smelted several years worth of casting alloy using his Clayton & Lambert furnace. It uses gasoline or kerosene or Coleman fluid, I believe. I visited Clayton & Lambert's web site to discover they discontinued manufacture of these devices more than 30 years ago.

Please identify an available similar or comparable smelting furnace that uses liquid fuel rather than propane? If there is nothing comparable, is anyone willing to sell one in good condition?

wiljen
05-10-2011, 11:09 AM
They made a standard plumbers furnace for years. Most have gone over to propane now but you might ask around, one of the plumbing supply houses might still have some gas or kero fired models.

cbrick
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
It seems logical to think that you'll not find a new gasoline or kero fired pot. I could be wrong but in this day of sue anyone over anything you can dream up I wouldn't think so. I know plumbers used to use them but it's been many years since I've seen one. Possibly a antique store or used "stuff" store or some place like that.

Anyway, why not propane?

Rick

Hooker53
04-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Well. Let's see if anyone is still reading this thread.

I have been using my Clayton & Lambert for years with Coleman fuel only. Coleman fuel can not be bought where I live right now so, was wondering if anyone has ever tried Kero or Jet-A which is just a very refined Kero in their Claytone/Lambert? Thanks.

waynem34
04-07-2014, 08:00 PM
3 years

Hooker53
04-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Waynem. You've been using Kero or Jet-A for "Three Years"?

Le Loup Solitaire
04-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Clayton & Lambert manufactured blow torches for a number of years, competing with Bernz and other popular brands. They all ran on unleaded or white gas. Bernz had a couple of models that ran on kerosene. You can run across all of them on E-Bay in their blow-torch auction. Most are reasonable, but have to be cleaned up. LLS

leeggen
04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Just watch the blow torch tank. Many were over pressured and they cracked.
Wow I remember when grandpa threw their old stove out in the trash hole, a a a a about 50 yrs ago. He used to have to pour a little fuel in a trough lite it as a preheat to the burner starting up.
CD

Hooker53
04-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Thought I would share what I did to my Clayton Lambert a few weeks ago. I stripped it completly down and cleaned everything. Brushed everything. Polished the brass fittings and painted the rest. I tried some Crown Naphtha in it today and it might be just me but I think it ran better on that than the Coleman fuel. Seemed that I had more control over the fuel valve and thus the heat. Here's a before and after photo. I even cut some new lettering for it. Ha.

Spruce
04-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Nice job, looks good. Not that many people on here even know what a Clayton & Lambert is. Saw a good video once of one working. Thanks for the pics.

Hooker53
04-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Hello Spruce and thanks for typing. Yea I love this thing. I've had it since the late 60's and think I have it burning and running better now than when I bought it. You really have to watch your heat with this one because it will put out the BTU's. I fou d that out the hard way this weekend. Lol.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I was given a heating unit like you describe many years ago. It required white gas and I used it once and scraped it. That stuff is too dangerous to have setting around. I picked up a plumbers melting pot that used propane in a yard sale for a whopping two dollars. It works great and I think you can buy one at Harbor Freight for around forty bucks.