PDA

View Full Version : Lead sources

Jamesconn
05-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Well I am just starting my lead collection and what other lead sources are there besides wheelweights pipe and flashing

RobS
05-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Range Lead...........berm mining or skimming

You probably already knew this one though.

1911GrayWolf
05-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Some recycle/scrap dealers will sell lead. Old farms with lots of old wheels for WW's, garage/yard sales- look for old decoy anchors, solder, and scraps. Make sure you ask at sales for lead or other soft metals.

badbob454
05-10-2011, 02:02 AM
x-ray lead too . and solder bearing babbit , range lead , and scuba weight belts radiator repair shops for the 60/40 solder tin/lead ..

odinohi
05-10-2011, 03:43 AM
I put an add in the local paper "want to buy" section four days ago. So far it has netted me 300lb of soft lead, 50lb ww lead. So far the advertisement has cost me .15 per pound, but that goes down everytime I buy more. I'll probably do it again in a month or two. Still have 10 more days of running this add. I called 5 area scrapyards and got their prices they pay and averaged them. Some of the callers get pissed at the prices you give them, but thats all I'm gonna pay - what the scrapyard pays. One guy had and old shower/tub liner that weighed 47lb. He lived about 40 minutes away, but not far from my sister-in-law so I got to stop and visit her and her hubby (who also found 10lb of ww lead for me).

1911GrayWolf
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Where my mother and father live they have a call in wanted/for sale program on one of the local radio stations. This call in program is on for a couple of hours every saturday morning, Dad calls in every couple of weeks "wanting to buy WW's, lead, and other soft metals". Sometimes he comes up empty, but depending on who's listening he might get a decent deal on a nice amount. He offers the same price scrap dealers pay, but they don't have to haul it in. He will come to them, weigh it, and pay cash on the spot. Over the years he has made some nice deals on all kinds of different scrap.

Ole
05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Sail boat keels.