PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 alternate use questions...

rdlange
05-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Can I use 310 38/357 dies for 357 maxi reloading?

Can I use 310 45 long colt dies for 454 Casull reloading?

Both to be for individual single shot rifles.

Thanks... be well...

John Traveler
05-10-2011, 12:49 AM
The answer to both your questions is a qualified "yes". Since each of those cartridges are only longer versions of the basic cartridge with identical base, mouth, and crimp dimensions. You might have to switch to a large handle to allow unscrewing the dies enough to work with the longer cartridges.

Green Frog
05-10-2011, 09:04 AM
The answer to both your questions is a qualified "yes". Since each of those cartridges are only longer versions of the basic cartridge with identical base, mouth, and crimp dimensions. You might have to switch to a large handle to allow unscrewing the dies enough to work with the longer cartridges.

+! to JT. While I have not done either of the specific operations you mention, I can say with authority that it is possible to use the same dies to load .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag by simply changing the depth to which the dies are set. As John implied, if the combination of neck location of the die and length of the shell can be made to coincide, you should be good to go, especially with straight walled pistol cases as you mention. Good luck with it!

Froggie

scrapcan
05-10-2011, 10:58 AM
For the 357 max, if you get into an issue with the dies protruding to far out of the handles you can use a set of large handles with the dies. They have a longer "snout" and will allow you to move the dies out farther.

If you are using the 7/8x14 to 310 die adapter in a modern press it will likely be a non issue.