PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest in bullet ejectors

b2riesel
05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I'd like to know if any of you are interested in purchasing a ready made unit for bullet ejectors for swaging. I realize not everyone has access to a machine shop...and maybe a few people may not want to bother making them themselves. I'm willing to make a few....just a few...if people are interested.

First, I'd like people to weigh in with a fair price...the materials aren't cheap and I'm not cheap on labor...but a fair price.

My bullet ejector is 6.5 inches long on the 1/2" steel plates for both top and bottom...drilled 6" center to center hole for the threaded rod. 12 " long by 3/8ths threaded rod....quantity 2. I actually drill and tap the upper block and screw the threaded rod into it and lock it down with a nut, lock washer and washer. The lower plate is drilled out for the 1" ram...with a set screw on each side....with 2 nuts, 2 washers and 2 lock washers to each side.

I may be willing to make a longer punch bolt for your swage die as well...again..just judging interest...

a.squibload
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Sounds good, an ejector is worth having.
Maybe post a pic?

Apache
05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Depending on cost, I would also be interested.

rugerglocker
05-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I built an auto ejector based on the one BT has pictured above. I have a problem with mine though. On the upstroke...I'm moving away from the point of the linkage that has all the leverage and it is tough for me to kick out he boolit unless I mount the bottom plate really low on the ram and leave just enough room between the bottom punch and the mouth of the dies to get the core to set on top of the punch.

I'd like one, have you solved the problem w/ yours though? I'm using a RCII

Blind Eye
05-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I am interested but funds are low. The price and which press it would fit would also be needed. I have a new rock chucker. Thx.

DukeInFlorida
05-16-2011, 06:19 AM
And, why wouldn't someone just buy BT's bullet ejector?????

jixxerbill
05-16-2011, 12:25 PM
And, why wouldn't someone just buy BT's bullet ejector?????

price might be better than bt's ??????????

shaggist
05-16-2011, 10:01 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23952&d=1280028135

It may be less expensive, but I doubt it. And BTS's ejector is a proven design, as a few of we members will attest. Here is my CH4D Champion with the BTS ejector mounted on its 1.186" ram.

BT Sniper
05-16-2011, 11:11 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23952&d=1280028135

Here you go Shaggist.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23952&d=1280028135 Here is your link as it should look to post the pic. The red x in your post is do to having a dupicate http in the link.

When you insert an image watch out that you don't have "http://" twice as when you select the insert option it atuomaticaly comes up wiht the "http" Just delete that and insert you Http address you'll be good to go.

As for the ejector we are all good. It is my fault that I don't have my web sight up and running here yet to let everyone know what I have to offer. I'm still workign on it :)

Good shooting,

BT

Utah Shooter
05-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Hello

gabe123
05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi all, Found this site while doing internet searches for swaging info. So far this looks great! I would like to get into swaging but want to go slow. I like the R series dies that Corbin sells but the idea of whacking the thing with a hammer every time to get the bullet out does not thrill me. I saw this thread about automatic ejectors and was hoping to get some info.

The previous picture that BT Sniper posted shows something that presumably I would need to modify my RCBS press for it to work.

I found this during search and apparently someone was making them or selling plans for this. Looks about right for what I want to do. Thanks for any info you can provide. I am going to attempt to put a picture of it here.

I don't know if I am doing this correctly there was no "attachments" button to click:roll:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_190894dd2fb7b308d5.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=872)

Utah Shooter
05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
You will not need to modify the RCBS. They attatch to the press by the 2 bolts on the bottom plate. The diameter of your ram is the center hole and slots on both sides to tighten it down.

BT Sniper
05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the sight. All you would ever need to know about swaging can be found here. Good bunch of guys too.

Never did hear anything about the spring ejector but I would be curious to hear how it worked for anyone that may have one. Those look like Ch 105 series dies though.

BT

gabe123
05-17-2011, 09:40 PM
You will not need to modify the RCBS. They attatch to the press by the 2 bolts on the bottom plate. The diameter of your ram is the center hole and slots on both sides to tighten it down.

So let me get this straight. The two silver bolts that we see head on on the bottom plate bolt to a detachable rear plate and pinch the ram, the entire unit goes up and down each time the handle is cycled, the round black thing below the top plate hits the ejector on the die and the bullet falls out? How much force is required to accomplish this? What keeps the unit from popping off of the ram if you are using this for an extended length of time, say making 200 bullets?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I am trying to educate myself.:confused:

gabe123
05-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Oops, BTSniper, how much are you selling these for??

Thanks

BT Sniper
05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Oops, BTSniper, how much are you selling these for??

Thanks

No worries! We are all cool here :)

Yes the bolts squeze the ejector on to the ram but the ejector is one piece. It works quite well and doesn't require much force at all to eject the bullets. Ejecting a seated core takes a bit more force. Many here are using this set up and havn't heard of any slipping off yet. I imagine it would be good to go for thousands if not more then 10s of tousands worth of bulllets made. If it gets loose just tighten the bolts a bit more. There is severial ways to acomplish securing an ejector to the ram.

I offer the universial ejector for any size ram that will attach via two bolts for $125.

For the Lee classic cast press I will include a dedicated swaging ram top that will accept threaded base punches. The Lee Classic cast really shines in it's ability to attach a ejector and use a dedicated swage ram at the same time. To make a dedicated swage ram for the RCBS would be atleast another $75 on top of the $125.

Basically I reccamend to anyone serious about considering an ejector and dedicated swage ram to consider the Lee Classic cast press. The amount of money I can save you upgrading the Lee with an ejector and new ram compaired to the RCBS is enough to by a new Lee Classic Cast press at $74 and save the ram of the RCBS from getting dinged up.

BTSniper

gabe123
05-17-2011, 10:21 PM
BT, thanks for clearing that up for me. I think your suggestion for using the Lee press with the ejector as a dedicated swaging press is a wise idea. A couple of questions. Where would I get threaded base punches? Do you offer these? Would someone with 10 thumbs be able to convert the Lee press with your new ram? And what would be the total cost including for the Lee set up?

Thanks for your help.:Fire:

Utah Shooter
05-17-2011, 10:36 PM
You know. I feel bad for asking how much on this thread. I do not mean to jack it or to have it go some where the OP is not gaining from what is said.

I guess atleast now he knows what price to beat.

gabe123
05-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I'd like to know if any of you are interested in purchasing a ready made unit for bullet ejectors for swaging. I realize not everyone has access to a machine shop...and maybe a few people may not want to bother making them themselves. I'm willing to make a few....just a few...if people are interested.

First, I'd like people to weigh in with a fair price...the materials aren't cheap and I'm not cheap on labor...but a fair price.

My bullet ejector is 6.5 inches long on the 1/2" steel plates for both top and bottom...drilled 6" center to center hole for the threaded rod. 12 " long by 3/8ths threaded rod....quantity 2. I actually drill and tap the upper block and screw the threaded rod into it and lock it down with a nut, lock washer and washer. The lower plate is drilled out for the 1" ram...with a set screw on each side....with 2 nuts, 2 washers and 2 lock washers to each side.

I may be willing to make a longer punch bolt for your swage die as well...again..just judging interest...

b2riesel, I am trying to get as much information as possible on this new area of interest, where are you at in offering a ejector??

Do you have any pictures as to how this would be attached to the press and how a newbie like me would operate it? It seems that lots of people use these ejectors.

Thanks for your response Gabe:veryconfu

b2riesel
05-18-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm in the part of the process where I defer to Brian as he is selling these ejectors. I didn't know he was offering them for sale when I wrote the original post. My ejector works absolutely wonderful for me...and if I built them for others...I would have to charge a pretty decent price due to time involved and materials involved. I'm sure Brian...aka BTSniper will be more than happy to take care of both you and everyone else that is interested.

DukeInFlorida
05-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Amen and thanks

Utah Shooter
05-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Oh ok.

shooterg
05-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I believe the one gabe123 shows was from a site member who's gone on to the Big Swaging Room . Think he may have sold the plans for it ?

DukeInFlorida
05-22-2011, 07:37 PM
The one that Brian (BTSniper) makes works perfectly on my system.