PDA

View Full Version : How do you melt your scrap lead ?

tayous1
05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
So I bought two hot plates so far and both of them don't get hot enough to melt the lead or I just don't want to wait more then 30 min for it to melt. So I'm looking for some advice on a stove what works? I found a old colemen stove that uses white gas would that work or do I need to just buy a Propane one? Thanks

GRUMPA
05-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I never had luck with those cook stoves with large lots of lead to smelt. I used a cast iron pot that has a wooden handle on it and used a turkey fryer (yes the propane kind). It took me about half a day to smelt, and welding gloves are recommended.

harvester
05-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I use a wood fire with a stainless steel kettle with a long handle welded to it. works great. Fire under a grate with pot on top, outdoors of course.

05-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Bought an old plumbers lead pot several yrs ago. The 20# bottle has about a 3" screw top that the pot actually sits on. It will "smoke" a pot of lead in a "skinny minute". Also have a Propane "camp" stove (two burner) that really turns out the heat. It is a home made contraption but really works well.

Lizard333
05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Turkey fryer and a cast iron pot. Easy.

high standard 40
05-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Large propane burner, cast iron pot, and a sheet metal wind break to direct all the heat to the pot. The break reduced my propane usage by at least half.

nwellons
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
I use the side burner on my gas grill and a stainless steel Dutch oven. Works great.

casterofboolits
05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Bought an old plumbers lead pot several yrs ago. The 20# bottle has about a 3" screw top that the pot actually sits on. It will "smoke" a pot of lead in a "skinny minute". Also have a Propane "camp" stove (two burner) that really turns out the heat. It is a home made contraption but really works well.

+1 on the plumber's pot. Mine holds about 65 pounds.

RobS
05-09-2011, 10:11 PM
The most economical if you are buying is probably a cast pot or heavy gage steel pot with a turkey fryer. There are homemade contraptions such as the one I have which is a half shell propane bottle made into a large bottom pour and a turkey fryer for the heat.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/Smelter.jpg

Jailer
05-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Turkey fryer and a cast iron pot. Easy.

This ^^^^^

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/L4.jpg

imashooter2
05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
So I bought two hot plates so far and both of them don't get hot enough to melt the lead or I just don't want to wait more then 30 min for it to melt. So I'm looking for some advice on a stove what works? I found a old colemen stove that uses white gas would that work or do I need to just buy a Propane one? Thanks

I cleaned scrap and dipper cast for 20 years on a white gas 2 burner Coleman stove. In my experience a 2.5 quart pot is all they'll take before melt time gets unreasonable. A lid for the pot helps a quite a bit.

Now days, I use a turkey fryer and 8 quart Dutch oven, but the old Coleman is still serviceable.

Cadillo
05-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I use the side burner on my gas grill and a stainless steel Dutch oven. Works great.

I've got three cast iron Dutch ovens that I use for smelting and casting, but have always wanted one made of stainless for my ladle casting. Where did you find yours, and what did it cost?

gray wolf
05-10-2011, 08:24 AM
I would look at why 30 Min. is to long of a time to melt the lead.
How often are you going to smelt ?
How much lead are you looking to melt ?
What kind of lead ?-heat factor.

Nothing is going to melt alloy for you in 10 Min. and that seems to be a factor for you.
A turkey frier and a propane bottle with a cast Iron Dutch oven, 3 to 5 Quart will get the job done for you.