PDA

View Full Version : Went and shot the HI Point today

jh45gun
05-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Really crappy day out raining and windy and my eyes were watering but I wanted to try out this gun HI Point JHP 45 so I went out to the Range and fired off two clips. Gun was shooting to the right So I moved the back sight to the left and got it on target with the second clip. I shot at 15 and 25 yards and it was not bad. Targets were not my favorite they use them diamond shaped ones with a cross hair on them for sighting in scopes. You want black bullseye targets you need to bring your own and put them up which is a hassle at a busy range. Groups looked promising I was not shooting for a group very serious because my eyes were watering because of the wind so I just wanted to see how the gun functioned. Shooting on a rainy windy day is not my idea of good shooting weather even if the range has a cover overhead. On a nice day I will take it out and see what it will do for a group. Really thinking about the ghost ring rear sight. I am also wondering since the front sight face is grooved I am thinking about buying a fiber optic insert you get for bow sights and taking out the fiber optic and super gluing a short length of fiber optic on the front sight. It should fit in the front sight groove very well.

Ammo was Remington 230 Grain FMJ

I touched up the front sight when I got home it was Yellow instead of Orange and I had some Orange nail polish that I bought for an other sight I had so it is much better now. But I am still thinking about trying the fiber optic idea.

All in all I was very satisfied trigger is not bad and it functioned perfectly and the brass does not get dinged up ejecting which is nice since I am a reloader.

jh45gun
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Well the fiber optic did not show up that well on the face of the front sight but the Orange N polish does.

troyboy
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Lots of trash talk on that gun. I have held one a time or three but I have not made the plunge. I shot a 9mm once and It worked just fine. Those that have them really seem to like them and they have great customer service as well as being US made. I have been considering that carbine really hard. Might have to get both a pistol and a carbine. They seem like a good product at a great price.

Potsy
05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Buddy of mine had one of their .40 carbines and it is a shooter. He sold it to another friend whose teenage boy has managed to kill just about everything in that corner of the county with it (ahhh, youth, I miss it).
I'll be having a carbine when they come out in .45 ACP.
It's my understanding that outside of being plug ugly (beauty is as beauty does) there are no flies on the pistols.

Buddy
05-09-2011, 10:35 PM
The carbine in 45 has been on the market for a while now.

exile
05-09-2011, 10:54 PM
The .45 ACP carbine sounds good. I have a Lee four die set I have not got to use yet.

exile

blackpowder man
05-09-2011, 11:31 PM
A LOT of people don't like them. Almost every hi point hater also has never shot one. I bought one in .45 a couple of years ago and it does what it is supposed to quite well. One thing about them is you pretty much have to keep them, because they aren't worth anything used. I tried to trade mine in where I bought it and they offered $90. It is worth more than that as another home defense stash.

jh45gun
05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I figure on keeping this one as for the money paid it is worth hanging on to even after I buy an other pistol for CC. This one was a hey I got the money and do not have a 45 ACP anymore so why not. After shooting it I like it.

jh45gun
05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Got to love this I called HI Point because I know they come with a Ghost Ring rear sight also and the guy I bought it from must have the box packed away or lost it as I did not get the other sight with it and the manual. I called them and they are shipping me out a Ghost Ring Rear Sight and a manual today. No Charge no problem.

exile
05-10-2011, 10:38 AM
I wish more companies could figure out that good customer service makes them money, it doesn't cost them, at least in the long run.

exile

jh45gun
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM
HI Point warranty is unreal even if you shoot the gun until it is worn out they will replace it. They have been in business for 20 years so I suspect they will be around for a good while.

Phat Man Mike
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
they have replaced a pistol that burnt up in a house fire. all that was left was a pile of burnt plastic and metal with serial number. sent it home to the mother ship and got it replaced. I don't think S&W or ruger would do this.. I own a .40 carbine and G/F has the 9mm . both great shooter. have friends that have the pistols and like them very much. saw a person on u tube kill one once by hammering a bolt into the barrel .. was the only way he could do it. . ( wonder if he mailed it back for repairs)

bowfin
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine, and it is always a hit when I take new shooters to the firing range.

I wish I could do something with the trigger though, as it is not very good at all. If ahyone has had any success improving the trigger of a Hi-Point, I would love to hear about it.

I do like the sights on it, and it shoots passably well for a pistol caliber carbine.

Potsy
05-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Buddy,
Didn't know the .45 carbines were out.
Got a birthday comin' up. Hmmmm.
Thanks!!

scrapcan
05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
the only ones I have ever seen that had problems ( I am a fire arms instructor when time allows) are the 40S&W models. The 9 and 45 are flawless even if they are ugly.

Arisaka99
05-12-2011, 02:32 PM
My uncle had a 9mm version, and gave it to my dad, because he would nip his fingers when he fired it, it was too short for him..