PDA

View Full Version : Lead battery terminals

Jamesconn
05-09-2011, 05:27 PM
I have heard car battery terminals are made of lead.
How do you properly extract them without getting battery acid all over?

RP
05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
For no more lead then you get bud better off to leave them alone. Not worth the risk of getting a acid burn or loss of eyesight.

grisy11
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
when you replace your old battery the terminals that you take off some of the top mounts are Lead and them are hooked on the copper wire

bumpo628
05-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I have heard car battery terminals are made of lead.
How do you properly extract them without getting battery acid all over?

You can take a hacksaw or reciprocating saw and cut off the exposed posts. You'll probably need to harvest 10 batteries to get a pound of lead. Sounds like a lot of work for little payoff. Every bit helps though, I suppose.

plainsman456
05-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I have to admit that I have taken a hacksaw to the posts on an old battery that was turned in.
It didn't garner much but it may add up over time.

mold maker
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Would you belive a squirrel, or rat, "ATE" the post off a dead tractor battery I had waiting for Spring to trade in??????? Tooth marks on what was left of the stub of the posts were the only evidence.
There are hickory, walnut and oak trees everywhere. Guess I have some wierd rodents here about.
I had already determined that there was very little salvagable lead involved, considering what was involved.

nanuk
05-09-2011, 08:24 PM
You can take a hacksaw or reciprocating saw and cut off the exposed posts. You'll probably need to harvest 10 batteries to get a pound of lead. Sounds like a lot of work for little payoff. Every bit helps though, I suppose.

I'd guess that

one of these days, I'm gonna check with our local recycler about cutting off posts for MY recycling!

geargnasher
05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Use the other end, the part that goes on the cable. About 8 bhn average, needs just a pinch of tin to make fine pistol boolits. I collect them, and have several other shops and junkyards that collect them for me, they add up. I've gotten over 50 pounds of them in the last couple of years.

Gear

Jamesconn
05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
i dont really know what yall are talking about can you send some pics and i have a hacksaw and lead is kinda scarce around here i can really only mine the berm at the range and i guess now ill take a hacksaw in the junkyard and start workin on the car batteries can yall send some pics please because i want to know what to cut before i try it ive never really done anything under the hood of the car besides add windshield wiper fluid

grisy11
05-09-2011, 09:30 PM
I will send you pics tomarrow in the day light

high standard 40
05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
This is a battery terminal
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/201444294/Top_Post_Battery_Terminal.html

As far as the battery post, some batteries don't have them....instead they have a threaded female connection....notably GM cars. Most other vehicles will have batteries with two lead posts protruding from the top of the battery. Not much lead there and not worth the trouble in my opinion. I guess it depends how desperate you are.

grisy11
05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
that is what i was looking for.Thanks High standard 40

Jamesconn
05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
thanks everybody

cbrick
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
i dont really know what yall are talking about can you send some pics and i have a hacksaw and lead is kinda scarce around here i can really only mine the berm at the range and i guess now ill take a hacksaw in the junkyard and start workin on the car batteries can yall send some pics please because i want to know what to cut before i try it ive never really done anything under the hood of the car besides add windshield wiper fluid

Alphabet post!

There is nothing in that post except a string of letters, no caps, no punctuation, just a string of letters.

I suppose somewhere in that string of letters is a question, yet he thinks so little of those he is asking help of that he intentionally makes it difficult to read.

Rick

Doby45
05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
THESE are battery posts. At least, they are the ones people are talking about hacking off with saws.

http://i55.tinypic.com/1zbh30l.jpg

montana_charlie
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
There is nothing in that post except a string of letters, no caps, no punctuation, just a string of letters.
Since all of the information needed by the thread's author has been provided, I will post my agreement with cbrick.

When I first started posting on internet forums I started rediscovering vocabulary that I had discarded over the years, and started learning new terms.
In order to be understood, I also had to clean up my punctuation. I had always used it, but not very adroitly.

Generally, a person joins a forum to learn something.
It should be seen as an added bonus if he also LEARNS HOW TO WRITE properly ... in my humble opinion.

CM

yobohadi
05-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I have been cutting the posts off all my used batteries before turning them in for a core charge. I probably have a few pounds of them now in a coffee can. I have yet to test their hardness, I assume they are close to pure lead, anyone know that answer?

KYCaster
05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I have been cutting the posts off all my used batteries before turning them in for a core charge. I probably have a few pounds of them now in a coffee can. I have yet to test their hardness, I assume they are close to pure lead, anyone know that answer?

Just like everything else....composition can vary with manufacturer, but the battery posts I've gotten from industrial battery recyclers have been the same as wheel weights.

The terminals (see High Standard's link) though, I've found to be anything from dead soft pure Pb to your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine.

Jerry

odinohi
05-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by cbrick

Since all of the information needed by the thread's author has been provided, I will post my agreement with cbrick.

When I first started posting on internet forums I started rediscovering vocabulary that I had discarded over the years, and started learning new terms.
In order to be understood, I also had to clean up my punctuation. I had always used it, but not very adroitly.

It should be seen as an added bonus if he also LEARNS HOW TO WRITE properly ... in my humble opinion.

CM

He's a kid trying to learn how to cast bullets, not become an English professor.

Doby45
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh no, way wrong response dude. You need to look around a bit at generosity extended to this young new caster prior to declaring people need to "lighten up"

odinohi
05-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Oh no, way wrong response dude. You need to look around a bit at generosity extended to this young new caster prior to declaring people need to "lighten up"

I know people have been generous to him. Just bugs me when people critize grammar and such. Didnt mean any disrespect.

cbrick
05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by cbrick

CM

He's a kid trying to learn how to cast bullets, not become an English professor.

And you have quotes from two different people lumped into one quote.

He made posts prior to this where he had the ambition to use periods and seperate sentences, Then he comes up with an alphabet post, doesn't care enough about those he is asking help from to so much as use a simple period much less all the effort needed to use caps.

No one here is looking for perfect grammar or english but a very minor effort to make your question legible is not asking to much. Many here feel the same way, its not just me. Most just pass right on by a post like that so it is him loosing out on the experience of these people, not the other way around.

If he is too lazy to make his question readable I am to lazy too make an attempt at reading it or try to make any sense out of it.

Rick

geargnasher
05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Thank you, Rick. No offense intended to anyone here, but they used to teach basic grammar in grade school, and there was a reason. Similar to the reasons why people comb their hair and use deodorant. Ya don't have to be a saint, just make an attempt!

Gear

Doby45
05-12-2011, 11:43 PM
What is this "deodorant" that you speak of? ;)

Beagler
05-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Usually our parts casting dept. and our COS (cast on strap) Dept. us antimony lead for the posts and straps not sure of the % . The newer AGM automotive Battery's that have top posts and side connections all in on post have a pretty good hunk of lead on them.

geargnasher
05-13-2011, 01:25 AM
What is this "deodorant" that you speak of? ;)

It's something I keep right next to the dangling participles! :kidding:

Gear

nanuk
05-13-2011, 03:06 AM
sometimes the issue is Posting on a thread using a StupidPhone (they aren't that smart)

the formating is not always available, or more likely, they have gotten used to limited character IM's or Texts, and post like they IM or text to friends

on the longer posts that are many lines long with no punctuation or line spacing, I just usually ignore as my cataracts cause my eyes to go "Dyslexic" and I simply can't read them

odinohi
05-13-2011, 07:37 AM
I apologize for offending anyone in this thread. Its easy to take things the wrong way while reading someone elses words.

grisy11
05-13-2011, 01:10 PM
A+ for Nanuk