PDA

View Full Version : Annealed vs UnAnnealed

b2riesel
05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
So I've been playing around with the 9mm to 40 swage die. I've found some great small things along my journey and I've made many modifications to both my equipment and my techniques.

For example: I've found that using a 124 grain Tumble Lube bullet gives me less errors in my final bullet than the 124 grain Truncated Cone. Reason being is that sometimes the soft annealed brass likes to move into the wide lube groove as you are swaging. Doing a good core seat usually keeps this from happening but sometimes you still get the indented ring where the lube groove is on the inside....about where the ogive starts...or just above where you would normally put a cannalure if you so desire. I've found that actually putting a cannalure below it...will iron out the area and it's good to go.

However, I find if I use unannealed brass that is much harder than the soft annealed brass I get very few if any of this problem....it's just harder on the hands to swage unannealed brass and most likely harder on the swage die as well. The great benefit so far of unannealed brass is that the auto-ejector kicks it out like butter. I was thinking it has more of a spring back which is probably true...but my measurements are showing the finished JHP's are dropping exactly like I want them to be.

I am transitioning from truncated cone lubed grooved lead to a rounder tumble lube mold...both 124 grains....but I just don't see remelting and pouring the 5k or so I have already made. I think I'll use the lubed grooved bullets in unnealed brass until they are used up.

Again...I'd like to think everyone on this forum for getting me into swaging my own jacketed hollow points...it has been an endeavor that I have thoroughly enjoyed and it really occupies both my curiosity and my enginuity.

RP
05-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I have just started swaging myself and have found if I put the core in nose down they are different from nose up in the jackets I have cut to make half jackets. The only diff on full jackets is if I am using the XTP die then they have to be nose down. I really like the half jackets for ease of swaging. Oh BTW I am making 44s out of 40s and 9mms.

a.squibload
05-10-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm using soft cores and annealed brass, also moved the holes on the LCC for more leverage.
Still takes a lot of pressure to swage, BUT my 44s are coming out at .430 at the rim.
I have noticed the slight groove or indentation even though I'm using tumble lube cores.
It gets mostly squished out when swaged but it's still visible/feelable.
No core seat die, I'm using the .40 expander die to bell cases and "seat" cores,
just pushing them to the bottom.

I like the half-jackets, and now that you mention it they were a little easier to swage.
Might be worth all that trimming after all!
I need to get a different case trimmer to use with the HF chopsaw, the Lyman
is easy to use but the chuck is huge and not compatible with the tiny blade on the chopsaw.
Kind of a pain to trim a lot of cases just using the case trimmer.