PDA

View Full Version : need advice on which 44 mold to buy

sh00ter787
05-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I have recently started casting for my 2 44 mag firearms, a 12" barreled Taurus revolver and a 94AE Legacy Winchester.

I have the Lee 200gn RNFP mold and have had good results so far in both. It is dropping at .432 with a mixture of range lead with added tin (about 1 or 2%)

The Winchester slugs at .43155 and the Revolver at .43185

Blammer has got some 44 checks in stock so I have ordered some, I want to get a GC mold obviously - presently my only real option is getting a Lee mold due to cost, so which to get? The 240gn SWC or the 310RNFP? I havn't loaded anything heavier than a 240 in either gun so would like opinions on the heavier bullet.

I only paper punch with my guns btw :D

Moonie
05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
the 310gr has been reported to be very accurate and would be the one I would choose for both of those firearms.

I used to use a mold that was supposed to throw a 320gr in my 445 SM Dan Wesson, actual boolit weight was closer to 350gr, that gun loved the heavier boolit.

GRUMPA
05-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Shooter I would go into the boolit exchange area in this forum and ASK FOR A FEW. Then you make the call, people here are more than willing to just give a few out here and there for just this type of thing. Here's the link
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

OH bother I didn't realize where you were. I don't know for sure if that's possible.

Buddy
05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
The DW's have a 1-16 twist and they do love heavy bullets. I'm with Moonie, go for the 310gr. I've been using it in a DW for about a month and it just flat works. I'd assume it will work well for you also. Check your twist and see if it's 1-20 or less. It works well in my SBH's also @ 1-20 twist.

sh00ter787
05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the input, Grumpa - sorry, I should have said!

I'll check the twist rate once someone gives me a simple way of doing so! (have never even thought of checking!)

Larry Gibson
05-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm going to suggest the Lyman 429244 or the 429640HP. Both give excellent accuracy and performance in all revolvers and rifles of .44 Magnum persuasion.

Larry Gibson

sh00ter787
05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks Larry, the 429244 looks very appealing - Lyman molds are however pretty expensive over here. Everything is relative though, but for the cost of a Lyman mold here I would rather wait for a group buy on here and get a MiHec that was comparable to be honest.

This will just be a stop gap until I see a group buy for something that takes my fancy tbh

GRUMPA
05-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Shooter I have both the Lyman 300gr 429650 and the Lee 310gr C430-310-rf and shoot them in my winchester legacy and my taurus handgun(AKA CANAON) with pretty impressive results. The lee bullit hits with amazing authority. And the thing hits what you aim at too 100yds no problem. If money is a concern I would get a LEE and read up on LEE-MENTING in these forums. I really don't think your going to be sorry about the choice.

Bullshop
05-09-2011, 03:59 PM
For revolver I have developed a preferance for Lyman # 429215 HP when trying for best accuracy. It just seems easier than the rest.

sh00ter787
05-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Grumpa - I will order a 310 Lee tomorrow if they have one in stock :D uve sold me! I have several Lee molds, have done work to a couple of them and most pleased with the results (easier knocking of sprue, and they drop very well). I have no issues with getting Lee molds now but I look forward to treating myself to some brass ones in the future!

Bullshop - At present I agree with you, the 200gn (ish) rounds have always been a preference of mine, slightly less kick but what seems better accuracy. 200gn have been my staple load for many years, but I will soon see if heavier is the way to go or not!

RobS
05-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Between the Lee molds the 310 RF is probably going to be your best bet in getting a boolit that will cast out at your needed barrel diameters. The GC will help should it cast a bit small. Ideally your firearms would be best served with a .432 or even .433 boolit diameter. One question on your slugging: What did you use for the slug? Pure lead is most suited as it will not spring back unlike other alloys. I ask as it seems like both barrels are a bit large.

longbow
05-10-2011, 12:13 AM
While maybe not much use right now due to expense, you might also think about an Accurate Molds mould for the future:

http://accuratemolds.com/

Tom's service is excellent and so is the product. I recently bought a 3 cavity brass mould from him for my .44 and am very pleased with it.

Tom will make whatever design you want in pretty much whatever diameter you want as well and his prices are very reasonable. He has a catalogue of all current designs to choose from or you can design your own mould at no extra cost.

My choice for this one was a light 165 gr. TC design for my Marlin since I already have several Lyman and Mihec moulds of 240 to 270 grs. for it. So far it has given me the best groups I have ever shot with this gun. Mind you I have the 1:38" twist barrel so well suited to light boolits.

You mention a preference for light boolits and Tom has several around 200 grs. and a range from 165 grs. to 330 grs. at about 15 gr. increments so lots to choose from.

I am not knocking other mould choices or brands as I have several and am particularly happy with my NOE and Mihec moulds but the advantage of Accurate moulds is that you can order in the diameter you want any time ~ no group buy required.

Food for thought.

Longbow

sh00ter787
05-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I used pure lead, made some boolits up and then "fattened" them with a hammer. I lost count on how many times I checked the results.... mainly because the throats of my cylinder were 429! It seemed like it was all back to front, I have now opened up my throats to barrel size. I want to test more before I open them any more.

RobS
05-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Your bores are large but not uncommon. Best results will probably be .001 over your groove for those cylinder throats if you plan on pushing hard on PB designs. What you have reamed them out to will work for now, although not considered optimal by many, but the GC design will make it easier no doubt. .429 throats to a .431 bore would have made it difficult. I think that of the Lee molds you are looking at the 310 will work best for you.

sh00ter787
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
thanks for all the advice, I have drooled over the accurate site for a while but conveniently forgot about them until Longbow said! I thought about getting one of their wc designs a while back to experiment with - since our "handgun" ban I havnt shot wc at all but it is what I used to predominantly shoot.

theperfessor
05-10-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't know about shipping to England, but Ranch Dog has a GC 265gr tumble lube RNFP that was developed for lever guns and seems to do OK in revolvers. A little heavier than the standard 240-250 gr .44 bullet but not so much to be punishing. I picked one up (6 cavity Lee) from a member here via a benefit action, might be more floating around used or check Ranch Dog's site.

JIMinPHX
05-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I've been surprised to find that I've been getting good results from 30bnh boolits without a gas check over stiff charges of H-110 in a .44 mag.

EDK
05-10-2011, 11:11 PM
MIHEC had some brass two cavity hollow point moulds for 434640 and another design available in stock...awhile back. I have a LYMAN 429640 that I like, but prefer a plain base....BRP has some good designs available too.

I also have the RANCH DOG TLC 432 265 gas check and the NOE lube groove clone in plain base....both good boolits in my VAQUEROS.

OLD WEST BULLET MOLDS did a group buy of LYMAN 429352 that I like...shot 60 of them today. MIHEC has a group buy going on a hollowbase wadcutter in 44 that I have ordered and am waiting for...NOE has something similar in the works now. I really, really like full wadcutters in a 44.

There are a lot of good moulds...and makers! out there now. In the few years I've been on this forum, the situation has changed so drastically...and for the better...that it is unbelievable. Elmer Keith and our other "patron saints" would not believe what is available currently.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

sh00ter787
05-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I got my 310gn Lee mold in the post yesterday, I was in 2 minds when opening it for the first time. It appears to be "old" stock as it has LEE stamped in one side and doesn't have the stars and stripes stickers of my other ones.

The sprue plate screw also has a spacer and washer instead of having the spacer built into the screw, however.... omg the mold is finished beautifully under the sprue plate! I normally polish the top of the blocks as the ones I have bought so far have been a little on the rough side to say the least, but this one is like a mirror!
The sprue plate was of course their normal rough standard so I have broken from my normal routine of casting with it before doing anything - the plate has now been deburred and polished so it is a match for the block.

Cant wait to break this mold in at the weekend, my oh my those cavity's look big!

RobS
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Nothing like looking at a mold and having a WFN looking back at you. :bigsmyl2: Have fun casting and shooting them. When you have a chance let us know how they flew for you.

sh00ter787
05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Well I have just run about 150 through it.

Very strange, crinkles I can deal with, I just upped my tempo to heat the mold up more as I normally do. But then I hit the frosting and it was still crinkling!

Alloy was just over 700 and I cast some 200gn 44's really nicely, this new mold just didnt seem to be breaking in.....
Reduced the temp to 600, still casting the 200gn very well but no joy on the 310's.

Do the heavy weights normally need more or less heat? Or should it be the same as smaller boolits?

Should I allow a longer break in period for the larger cavity's?

I must say when one comes out half decent I can really see the potential here - and I love the glugging noise as it swallows the lead! (no, I dont pour into the middle normally, just once or twice this session!)

The cavities look really good, Ive took a couple of boolits to polish them a little.

RobS
05-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Did you clean the mold? It sounds like you have a bit of factory cutting oil contamination still in the cavities. I use hot tap water and scrub with a toothbrush and Dawn original dish soap then rinse really well with the hot water while still working the cavities with the toothbrush. Some even go as far as boiling the mold in water after the dish soap scrub. Your alloy temp should be fine at 700 degrees plus or minus a bit and continue to cast at a good tempo so the mold keeps it heat; similar to the pace you cast at with the other mold.

sh00ter787
05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
I followed my normal cleaning procedure tbh, dish wash liquid, toothbrush and lots of hot water. I tend to do this twice then dry gently over the stove until it is warm enough to bullplate the sprue and pins.
I will give it another go over the weekend hopefully.

Any ideas for loads to start with? I use Unique and 2400 mainly

RobS
05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
15 grains of 2400 for around 900 fps or so and 8 grains of Unique for around 800 fps. and crimp on the long COAL. This is in the middle/upper ground and could be worked up a bit.

sh00ter787
05-13-2011, 06:19 PM
many thanks, powder wise along the lines of what I load for my 200gn then! Just with more thwack as it hits the backstop!

Lizard333
05-14-2011, 03:02 PM
I like the 429244. Shoots very nice in my redhawk.

Bomberman
05-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Well I have just run about 150 through it.

Very strange, crinkles I can deal with, I just upped my tempo to heat the mold up more as I normally do. But then I hit the frosting and it was still crinkling!

Alloy was just over 700 and I cast some 200gn 44's really nicely, this new mold just didnt seem to be breaking in.....
Reduced the temp to 600, still casting the 200gn very well but no joy on the 310's.

Do the heavy weights normally need more or less heat? Or should it be the same as smaller boolits?

I've found that with my molds the larger boolits need the mold hotter than the smaller boolits. Get that mold hot (I use a small campstove) and keep a good tempo with the pour. My alloy is usually run about 625 and the mold smoking hot. Good luck.

michiganvet
06-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I have both the 429244 and the 429215 but the 429215 will have less recoil for targets. They both have the same nose.

Blammer
06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
clean that mould again, then do it one more time, it should take care of the wrinkles. :)

W.R.Buchanan
06-19-2011, 03:09 PM
ShOOter:

I have 4 .44cal moulds. and all of them shoot well.

Magma .44-190 SWCPB 190gr for really light plinking loads. .44Spec in pistols mainly

Lee .44-240 SWCGC which is one of the easiest moulds to get good boolits out of.

Lyman 429244 SWCGC 255gr Which is the Thompson style Boolit which works really well in both rifles and pistols. In a rifle it is good for virtually anything in NA.

An my newest aquisition Mihec .432-256 SWC PB HP 240gr which is essentially H&G 503 with the hollowpoint addition. I haven't actually gotten to shoot any of these but I have every confidence they will work perfectly as most all .44's shoot SWC's pretty well. got it mainly for the .44 Special at low speeds but it will work in the magnum too.

Another mould you wouldn't go wrong with is Lyman 429421, which is very similar to the one above.

I have 4 .44 cal guns a Ruger BH Bisley .44spec. a SBH Bisley .44Mag. A Marlin 1894 Carbine and a Marlin 1894 rifle.

I have shot a variety of boolits in these guns but the ones I have listed are the most consistant. Note all are SWC's. I have also shot Beartooth WFN's and whereas they are hard hitting boolits I didn't get very much in the way of accuracy. 3" + at 50 yds is NOT reallly that good.

Also any of the rounded nose boolits that are used for rifles have never out performed the SWC's.

A simple .040 chamfer on the mouth of your rifles chamber will make SWC's feed just like RN's do.

This is my .02 on the subject.

Randy

skeet1
06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm with Larry Gibson the Lyman 429244 is the mould I first started using for my .44 revolver and Marlin 1894 Cowboy II. I have other moulds but this one has always worked great. I have this mould in both regular and hollow point.

Ken

Lloyd Smale
06-20-2011, 05:01 AM
if i could have only one 44 mold it would hands down be the rcbs 240 swcgc. Ive yet to find a 44 caliber gun be it rifle or handgun that didnt shoot that bullet well. Second choise would be a toss up between the 280 lbt lfngc and the ballistic cast 300 lfngc. again ive yet to find a gun that those two bullets didnt shoot exceptionaly well in