PDA

View Full Version : Annealing 7.62X38R Nagant brass

leadman
05-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I bought a box of Privi ammo for my Nagant revolver and out of the 10 I fired 3 cases split at the neck. So I thought I would anneal the brass, along with the Fiocchi and Bertram I have.

Found out this is not a good idea at all!

Trying to load the cases afterwards is a real pain. I lost more than if I had not annealed it. The brass is so weak now it wants to collapse or bulge out the side when expanding the case mouth.

I did finaslly get it loaded but had to run it part way into the sizing die with the decapper removed. Probably will lead the barrel.

I hope after the first firing it regains some of its strength and will be o.k.

1Shirt
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Interesting! Keep us infromed of results pls.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

JIMinPHX
05-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Mark, do you want me to see if I can turn a few cases out of bar stock? If you want to buy the stock, I'll take a crack at it. I think that McMaster carries cartridge brass in bar form. I haven't checked their prices in quite some time.

leadman
05-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi Jim,
Getting the brass isn't a problem as Fiochhi and Privi sell loaded ammo. Graf & Sons had Bertram brass that I bought quite awhile ago. The Bertram brass is a little thicker than the others and has a more substantial rim, takes a different shellholder.

Thanks for the offer though.

leadman
05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Went to the range today. Fired one round of the annealed brass to see what would happen. This is full length gas seal brass.
When fired the end of the brass that was in the end of the barrel expanded to a larger diameter than the bullet so was very difficult to get it out of the cylinder.
I will have to take a punch, hammer and wood block to the range with me next time so I can get the brass out of the cylinder after firing.
I will size and load that one case this weekend to see if things have improved by firing it.