PDA

View Full Version : Identifying what ya got????

retiredPO
05-09-2011, 07:28 AM
I havent started yet, but want to,... I have bought a few Lee molds .58 cal and 45 for my trapdoor,... and then I bought 100 lbs of wheelweights some are marked AL (alum I assume) How do I know what is good to use and what isnt.
thanks ahead of time.

perimedik
05-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm new too. So what I have learned so far is a hand sort and with a pair of wire cutters "dent" the lead.

Zinc is too hard (marked Zn) and Iron is as well (marked Fe) and will not get a mark when pressed.
Steel and Iron wheel weights are usially rivited on by clips.

It takes a bit to sort but in a matter of minutes you'll find a groove.
Just get a scrap bucket and a good bucket and go to town.

Also as you separate (if you are not tone deaf) you'll hear the difference as you check them in the buckets. Lead has a dull thud and Zinc and Iron have a higher pitched ring to them when the clink together.

Best I can offer.

Good Luck

bumpo628
05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
I havent started yet, but want to,... I have bought a few Lee molds .58 cal and 45 for my trapdoor,... and then I bought 100 lbs of wheelweights some are marked AL (alum I assume) How do I know what is good to use and what isnt.
thanks ahead of time.

If it is a wheel weight, the "AL" doesn't mean aluminum. It is probably just the manufacturer's mark. I'm sure it's lead unless it also has a "Zn" on there.

starnbar
05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Get ya a good alnico magnet you can sort out a lot of steel and iron weights quickly. don't hold the magnet directly on the weights because due to the steel clip they will all stick. After a few tries you can gauge the correct distance from the weights and you will be able to sort em fast.

Bill*
05-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I read someplace here that the "AL" meant the weight was OK for or manuf. for aluminum wheels, they are still lead (or possibly zinc).