PDA

View Full Version : 170gr cast in a 10mm

Grizz Axxemann
05-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here. Been reloading for a couple years, but never before with cast.

Recently, I had cast up some .401" 170 grain bullets (a first for me, used a 2 cavity Lee mould, they turned out pretty good) and I'm planning on loading them up as soon as I get them sorted by weight. So far, the most variance I've seen has been 3 grains light, maybe 1 in 10 have been more than 1.5 grains light, nothing over yet, with the average being less than half a grain variance, not bad for a first time with a brand new mould. I used a wheel weight based alloy that a good friend and long-time caster has been using for everything from .44 Mag, to .30 cal to 12 ga slugs.

Now, I've loaded FMJs before (my favorite load is 8.5 grs of Power Pistol under a 180 gr FMJTC, nice and toasty, still controllable, and huge flash indoors, which impresses newbies) but I've never done cast.

I have a teeny bit of WSF left over from a previous batch of handloads (6.5 gr load with the 180s) but not enough to do more than 10-20 rounds. I've found WSF data for the cast bullets, but my local powder sources have none in stock. I have plenty of Power Pistol, and most of a can of Universal Clays (from when I was reloading .38SPL) and was wondering if anyone had any data for either of those with cast. None of my manuals have anything, and nothing has turned up online so far.

In case anyone is wondering, this is a 1911 Delta Elite, factory 23 lb dual-spring (probably swapping out for a Wilson 24 lb spring and full length guiderod soon) so it'll need to be hot enough to cycle, but not so hard that my frame takes a beating.

Cheers,

Grizz

sqlbullet
05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I have never loaded 10mm with Power Pistol or Universal Clays. All my loads so far have been with AA#9, Blue Dot and Unique.

I cast isotope lead that is tested to be 96% lead, 3% antimony and 1% tin. I boost the tin just a tad to about 2%. I do water drop all bullets. I run both Lee 175 grain SWC TL and a Mountain Mold that drops 205 gr RFN.

In general I just use the load data for same weight jacketed bullets. I have found that I get better results with the Alliant powders in near max loads. Loads that are at or below starting loads are both dirty, and have a greater tendency to lead a little bit.

With Power Pistol, I would start at about 8.5 grains with a 170 grain bullet and work up.

thegreatdane
05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
8.3gns of Power Pistol is pretty righteous behind 180 grains of lead. I believe my 8.3gns behind 180gns clocked at 1235fps.

I'm currently loading mine at 7.6gn

Grizz Axxemann
05-09-2011, 04:35 PM
So for all intents and purposes, the load I found for a 170 gr XTP using 5.5 grs of Universal to start should be safe to run with the 170 gr lead I have on hand, and should push them a little faster, eh?

Some of the things I hate most about being Canadian: No CCW, Powders are in short supply and selection, and what is available is generally NOT CHEAP.

jerry_from_ct
05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I just dropped some 200 out of the same mold for 40 S&W, when I get more 10mm brass 170's are going in those also.

7.5gr sounds right for PP @170gr

Alliant lists 10gr. for a Speer 165gr GDHP, sounds a little Hot, Like the old Norma 10mm loads.

I'm not a fan of heavy bullets in 40/10's rather prefer 135-155 JHP w/AA #5

Of course this site is........ Cast Boooooooolits, so the above is Sacrilege.:shock: