PDA

View Full Version : Contender sight on a Rossi 92

pmer
05-08-2011, 05:08 PM
I have just put on a Thompson Center G2 Contender sight on my Rossi 1892. It bolted on without a hitch and now the rifle is adjustable for windage and elevation.

The sqaure notch of the G2 gives a nice sight picture and should be better in low light compared to the Rossi's sight.

Now I need to find a .625 tall front sight and it will be good to go! 8-)

Artful
05-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Good ldea -
Do you have a close up of this?

pmer
05-08-2011, 05:34 PM
The hole spacing is about .840 on the sight and it uses the center 2 holes on the barrel. The sight on the counter isn't the same as the one thats on the barrel, this one has it's notch set higher.

Bass Ackward
05-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't know what the sights were like on that model Rossi, but my 24 Octy had a flimsy job that bordered on junk.

I just added a Marbles, Sporting Folding Rear which is still period to the piece which is of coarse fully adjustable.

Big time upgrade.

no34570
05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
pmer
Nice job,what caliber is your Rossi?,I have a 454Casull and a 44 mag,don't like the sights on the 454 at all.
Can you get them as spare parts,the sights from a Thompson Contender?

Now I need to find a .625 tall front sight and it will be good to go!
Could you not make one?

pmer
05-08-2011, 07:10 PM
no34570, Thanks I think you can get them From Thompson. They have some on their site for a octagon barrel. Might have to call or email them. My sight came off of my 12" .357 barrel, it sat in my drawer for years and then the notion just came to me and had to try it.

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/7758-rear-sight-only-rear-sight-adjustable-steel-sight-fiber-optics.html

My Rossi is a 20" .45 Colt and I've been shooting Accurate Molds 45-300G at 1600 FPS. They were hitting to the right and I was not wanting to pound the front sight over again for this load. I was already thinking of puting a scope on it but I think I can wait on that idea now.

The Rossi sight mine had was spring steel stamping with rivet to the dove tail and it was a little too fine or narrow for hunting. The front sight would be too hard to see at dusk and dawn. I would make a front site if have to but would rather buy one....unless maybe turn a wire feed welder way down add material to the top and shape it, LOL I'll buy one first..

Jeff H
05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
That's pretty cool - one more sight option.

It lines up with existing scope mount holes?

Did you use TC screws or Rossi screws? I have screws that came with the scope mount that I bought just in case I wanted to mount one later.

pmer
05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
That's pretty cool - one more sight option.

It lines up with existing scope mount holes?

Did you use TC screws or Rossi screws? I have screws that came with the scope mount that I bought just in case I wanted to mount one later.

Yes it lined up to existing holes, I didn't have to fudge anything. I used the screws that came wth the G2 sight, they probobly have a shorter head than scope base mounting screws.

Link23
05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
were you going to put a long eye relief scope on it?

Jeff H
05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Yes it lined up to existing holes, I didn't have to fudge anything. I used the screws that came wth the G2 sight, they probobly have a shorter head than scope base mounting screws.

:Bright idea:
Great idea! Thanks.

Another Contender component swap (OT) is using the scope base on the Swedish Mausers. They fit the second to the last step of the barrel perfectly and it makes a neat forward-mount setup for using a pistol scope, allowing the continued use of stripper clips and leaving your reciever sight base mounted.

If I go the route of the contender sight, I will probably do a bladectomy on the existing sight, slot the base and solder in a taller silver blade. Right now it has a brass insert soldered in - after removing the annoying off-center bead.

pmer
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I was surfing for a front sight and came across this site. You may want to look here if you don't have a Contender sight on hand. His barrel mounted rear site has windage and elevation and the front site could stay in place.

http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

There is also some math for changing the height of the front site in the front site section too. I'm wondering if I should shoot it some more for a better estimate of blade height.

no34570
05-09-2011, 01:25 AM
pmer
Thanks for the info

The Rossi sight mine had was spring steel stamping with rivet to the dove tail and it was a little too fine or narrow for hunting. The front sight would be too hard to see at dusk and dawn. I would make a front site if have to but would rather buy one....unless maybe turn a wire feed welder way down add material to the top and shape it, LOL I'll buy one first..

You might be wise in buying one,instead of adding bits to it,I would,buy one that is :)

no34570
05-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Those Skinner sights would be ideal,going to find out if he will send to Australia.

Thanks for that pmer ;)

Four Fingers of Death
05-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I have a Rossi 44 Mag that I lost the elevator slide for. I also have an Encore 308 Bbl that I removed the sights from. It is a much more compact sight assembly than the one pictured above. I must open up the safe downstairs and try it. The standard sights were absolutely awful with an invisible front bead. Might just work out.

pmer
06-24-2011, 01:53 AM
I finally ordered a front sight from Skinner sights and it came in today. It took about a week to come and it looks nice. Gonna have to try the rifle now :target_smiley:

HDS
06-24-2011, 03:57 AM
I got a Williams FP sight waiting to be mounted on my Rossi 92, I have astigmatism and peep sights really help me see the front sight in perfect clarity.