PDA

View Full Version : New Building going up!

Muddy Creek Sam
05-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Howdy all,

Going to be puting up my new building starting tomorrow Afternoon. Anyone in the area that is willing to help, It would be greatly appreciated. Have 3 volunteers so far after 4pm. have rented a scissor lift for the month. 3000 bolts to put it together.

Thanks,

Sam :D

Wayne Smith
05-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Little far for me, and we've got an appt. with the lawyer tomorrow and I have a full schedule next week anyway.

Good luck in getting it up.

SciFiJim
05-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Sam, Pics of the progress please. Its fun watching buildings go up.

Muddy Creek Sam
05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
First arch up, Twisted all to heck getting it up. Instructions said to only hand tighten bolts. That was a mistake. Could sure use some bodies with experience. Tomorrow will be a long day.

azcruiser
05-10-2011, 03:25 AM
pictures please would like to see how it s done

JeffinNZ
05-10-2011, 05:43 AM
MAN CAVE. MAN CAVE. MAN CAVE. Arrrgghhhhhh!

scrapcan
05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Sam,

You started at the back of the building so it is not hte first thing you see correct? I know that is not much help is it. If you or I were closer I would help, but all I can do is offer moral support form afar.

Muddy Creek Sam
05-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Had three here ysterday and it took from 11AM to 4 PM to get up one piece of steel. Bolt holes wouldn't line up at all, Survived the Thunderstorm this am, 20' lift is holding the arch up. Will take pictures today. Having a necessary day off. Back is killing me.

BD
05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Sam, sorry I can't get up there right now. I have 2 cranes and half million worth of glass on the ground here. I won't be going anywhere until all this glass is set.

I don't have any experience with quonset style buildings, but I set steel buildings one frame at a time with the bolts hand tightened, and then force the alignment with spud wrenches and come alongs. The whole building frame is up before anything gets tightened down. I've also been know to push things around with a Lull a little if needed

BD

Dean D.
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
No experience with quonset hut buildings either but I did work some steel building lattice type high voltage transmission towers. As BD said, a spud wrench is invaluable. Vice Grip pliers come in handy also, if you are trying to make a single bolt connection you can spud the holes to match and then clamp the steel with a set or two of vice grip pliers so you can make the bolt after removing the spud. Also as stated, never tighten any bolts until the last one is in place ;)

Good luck on your project Sam!

Muddy Creek Sam
05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Things are getting better, Have two and 1/2 arches up now and got the lift out and can now use it. Scaffold is coming down. BD, Thanks for the kind words, Work must come first. Good luck with the glass. More coming tomorrow.

Thanks to all,