PDA

View Full Version : Tested the new boolits I made

tayous1
05-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I just got back from the range and I first must say thank you to all that helped me out it was the spray on **** that was making me cast my boolits to small. I loaded up 13 rounds today with 4.9gn to 5.1gn of Win 231 the weight of my boolits where from 234gr to 238 gr. I think the 4.9 to 5.1 gn of powder is not enough as I had problems with the cycling of the pistol. I did find 5 of the 13 boolits I shot the weight on them was around 233 gr after being shot.

Advice on what could I use to make these rounds a little harder? The lead I have been using where lead weights and range scrap. Again thank you for you all for the help on my last post I was about to just give up casting but thanks to you all I now have a hobby to feed a hobby that feeds my shooting hobby!

mpmarty
05-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Congratulations.
Why do you want harder boolits?

tayous1
05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
The harder bullets/ bootlits seem to work better in my press!the softball 230gr rounds I bought feel a lot harder then the ones I casted them also load better.

geargnasher
05-08-2011, 08:36 PM
The question is, did you ever get your loading technique sorted out? .45 ACP will shoot anything down to just about pure lead with ease, IF you load them right.

What size sizer are you using for the boolits?

What does a pulled boolit measure?

How much case tension do you have?

What's the loaded diameter in the boolit area vs. chamber dimensions?

What's your groove diameter?

These are all questions that you need to know the answer to before you go monkeying with the alloy and the powder. The basics MUST be right if you want good results.

Give us some pics of your loaded rounds, let's see how you're crimping them.

Gear

MtGun44
05-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Arbitrarily going to harder is heading towards a possible problem with a low pressure and
velocity round like .45 ACP. Unless there is some real issue that NEEDS harder boolits
as a fix, I'd stick with what you have. .45 ACP rarely needs anything very hard. Some
revolvers have extremely shallow rifling and can do better with harder alloys, but most
semiautos don't seem to care a whit.

Bill

bpratl
05-09-2011, 06:29 AM
I have had a recyling problem with 5.0 gn of WW231 until I recrimped to .469"-.470" and seems to worked out well after that.