PDA

View Full Version : Owwwwwwww.....

ColColt
05-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Don't let anyone ever tell you a 27# block of lead doesn't hurt when it's accidentally meets your fingers. I was trying to roll this 8x4x2 brick or block of lead yesterday evening and as I tried moving it with my left hand and catch it's fall with my right, I didn't get my finger out of the way in time. It didn't hit the nail but the side part of my finger but as you can see, the entire finger print area turned purple. I said things I though I had forgotten for at least two minutes. I tried running cold water over it and that didn't help so I got some Epson's salt and tried that. Today, it's still sore but not throbbing like it was. I wasn't sure how or what to do other than squint my eyes, curse and jump around like I was doing the funky chicken for a few minutes.

BE CAREFUL moving around heavy lead...lessons learned. Maybe some Bull Plate would help.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3991.jpg

plainsman456
05-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Ouch,I feel your pain.

Hickory
05-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Read thread about wearing gloves.:groner:

RobS
05-08-2011, 03:13 PM
ColColt: I've heard Bullplate does wonders and even Windex too. LOL

Never heard of steel fingered gloves.

perimedik
05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
yikes.
Nothing is going to heal that but time.

Be careful with it. If it does not get better you want to see a physician.
Swelling and purple/blackness does not go away it could be something worse.
If circulation is cut off for to long the tissue can become necrotic
http://www.healthwatchcenter.com/2009/08/how-to-identify-and-prevent-gangrene/

ColColt
05-08-2011, 04:42 PM
perimedik-Don't scare me like that! I take enough blood thinners that hopefully that will help. I have to be very careful when even trying to cut an onion as one little nick and I bleed big time. Being on an aspirin regiment along with Plavix and Warfarin my blood should be pretty thin. Maybe that's why it looks worse than it should have. I'm going to try some cold compresses and see if that helps. The Epson's salt didn't make it.

perimedik
05-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Not trying to scare you. Just trying to keep you informed.
The meds are probably why is it so "eggplant" looking. Good luck,

starnbar
05-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Don't worry ColColt i did a similar thing with a framing hammer on my left thumb. I take the aspirin and blood thinners too. It takes about 5 weeks to get back to normal I lost the thumb nail it grew back but looks like it shoulda just stayed off.

ColColt
05-08-2011, 06:57 PM
It's been a long time since I've felt pain that bad and don't want to go through that again. I should have had some type of glove on-it could only have helped. I don't know how much but anything would have been better than bare skin. Maybe I'll use ice tongs next time. It's pretty hard trying to use the keyboard with that finger sore as it is.

Digger
05-08-2011, 07:04 PM
It's been a long time since I've felt pain that bad and don't want to go through that again. I should have had some type of glove on-it could only have helped. I don't know how much but anything would have been better than bare skin. Maybe I'll use ice tongs next time. It's pretty hard trying to use the keyboard with that finger sore as it is.

Dang ! , that S key has to hurt big time ...( oop's ... L key )

ColColt
05-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Dang ! , that S key has to hurt big time ...( oop's ... L key )

The L and O is a real killer.

Digger
05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah ....something like gLOve three times in a row as fast as you can ? .....:kidding:
sorry , my bad ! .....[smilie=1:
I do apologize for being a smart a%&*** . .... hope your finger returns to good health for future casting !

shoot-n-lead
05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Owwwwwwww.....

That AIN'T what you said......

lwknight
05-08-2011, 10:15 PM

What exactly would gloves do for a pinch point?
Fingers get mashed just as good with gloves.
Gloves do help save the skin from cuts though.

Doby45
05-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Dip that darn thing in BullPlate and be done with it brother. ;)

kyswede
05-08-2011, 11:30 PM
....... It's pretty hard trying to use the keyboard with that finger sore as it is.

Only an index finger injury would hinder my typing. lol I do use my thumb to hit the space bar sometimes. This took 2 minutes to type.
kyswede

Hamish
05-08-2011, 11:54 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/170694dc764b0d5745.bmp (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=800)

For being a good sport and showing the photo, I give it,,,,,

Half a thumbs up!

omgb
05-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Last week I splashed a tablespoon of 800 degree lead on the back of my hand near the web of my thumb and pointer finger. Net result was a 3rd degree burn the size of a half stick of chewing gum. It looked like hell and felt worse.

a.squibload
05-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Get well soon you guys.

I always think about how to avoid an injury right AFTER it happens.
Cut the heck out of my finger about 6 wks ago, getting better feels numb still.
A few weeks after that banged my thumb on the corner of the trailer while
breaking a bead on a Jeep tire, thought I broke it, getting better.
Today putting charcoal in the smoker left my left finger in there too long, getting better.

Long time ago squashed middle finger with an I-beam, had a glove on,
probably helped a little, didn't get torn off but was wide open.
Even that one got better, can feel it now.

My wife was told she would be on Warfarin the rest of her life.
She quit all prescription drugs, she was on more than a dozen and they wanted
to prescribe 3 more.
All natural stuff now, if you like I can ask her the name of the anti-coag she uses,
it's not as dangerous as Warfarin, which definitely increases bruising.
(I need a memory drug!) I think it's spelled Natto-kinese? Maybe no dash.

songdog53
05-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Ouch...know that had to hurt.

hepburn45110
05-09-2011, 08:53 AM
First you say it then you do it. I think I've done something similar at least once a month for 40 years. All I can say is time heals all wounds. For the next few days any and all verbal transgressions are forgivable in case you bump it.

ColColt
05-10-2011, 08:16 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/170694dc764b0d5745.bmp (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=800)

For being a good sport and showing the photo, I give it,,,,,

Half a thumbs up!

Damn!! You dropped one too!! I thought mine was bad.

I decided to go to the doc yesterday afternoon to ease my mind. They x-rayed it three different ways and found no broken bones so that was a relief. I was told not to soak it in nothing but warm water-maybe with Epson's salt if anything and that using a cold compress is only for the first 48 hours-then go to warm.

It looks a tad bit better and not quite as sore as it was but after bumping it a time or two and doing the Watusi on the living room floor, I learned that I need a lead glove for about a week to protect it. I've hit my finger with a hammer(and who hasn't?) and that didn't hurt anymore than this.

My wife was told she would be on Warfarin the rest of her life.
She quit all prescription drugs, she was on more than a dozen and they wanted
to prescribe 3 more.
All natural stuff now, if you like I can ask her the name of the anti-coag she uses,
it's not as dangerous as Warfarin, which definitely increases bruising.
(I need a memory drug!) I think it's spelled Natto-kinese? Maybe no dash.

I have to take aspirin, Plavix and Warfarin due to PAD(Peripheral Artery Disease with intermittent claudication) and atherosclerosis. I've had bypass surgery on the left leg which put me on aspirin and Plavix. About five years later got a coupe of blood clots in the same leg and had to go to the emergency room which required more surgery. That time I was also put on Coumadin(Warfarin). I have to take these drugs till I croak or risk blood clots. My PT/INR (pro time) level has to run from 2.5-3.0 or I'm in trouble. For you guys that may be in the same boat, you know what I'm talking about. Eat too much greens, especially collard greens, and the level drops. Don't eat enough greens(for the Vitamin K) and it will go over 3.0 which is also dangerous. You walk a tight rope all the time and it's frustrating.

I have heard recently there are tow new drugs that are not Vitamin K sensitive but are not 100% proven yet. This will be a Godsend if it works as intended.

How did I get off on this? I'll quit rambling about my health and get back to the subject.

That AIN'T what you said......

No, you're right about that.:mrgreen: Chris-I'd put a bottle of Bullplate on that finger if I thought it would help, believe me! I'm still chewing on the possibility.

captain-03
05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Owwwwwwww.....

tonyjones
05-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Hydrocodone - better living through modern chemistry.

BulletFactory
05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I thought that the health risks from lead were from only long term exposure.

rtracy2001
05-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I thought that the health risks from lead were from only long term exposure.

Exposure is the poduct of dose rate X time. A very low dose over a long time can cause a lot of damage, but so can a very large dose (like 27#) over a very short time (the fraction of a second it was on his finger)

:bigsmyl2:

nanuk
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Maybe some Bull Plate would help.

Well.. I hear it cures cancer, and Lowers the Federal Deficit!

a.squibload
05-11-2011, 12:33 AM
When I cut my finger not too long ago I got one of those aluminum splints from
Wal-something-or-other, couple bucks, has foam in it and I re-shaped it to fit.
IF your giant finger will fit in it, it helps keep it from banging into things.