PDA

View Full Version : Lyman-Ideal Time Frame

Reg
05-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I am sure the question has been asked a thousand times and answered just as often but was cleaning up a new fleabay find this morning and noticed the name "IDEAL" on the side of the mold. Have seen it many times before but got to thinking, does anyone have any idea when that name was changed to "LYMAN" ?
Are there any know time lines for when perhaps the vent lines were added to the ideal molds or perhaps when the metal reinforced box corners went to folded and glued corners. Small things perhaps, but it might help to date some of the on hand molds.
Thanks
Reg:smile:

3006guns
05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I think the Lymans took over the business in the forties, but not sure.

05-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I once asked a Lyman service rep when the Ideal name was dropped and was told the late '50s...for what it's worth.

Catshooter
05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Lyman Gunsight Company bought Ideal in 1925, I think. They produced moulds with the Ideal name on them for years afterward.

Cat

scrapcan
05-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Reg,

Send Floodgate a pm or email . He has some great history written up on this. I don't have time at the moment to dig it up but will try to get something up in the near future if Floodgate or Pressman don't get a response up sooner.

One thing to note is you will see Marlin-Ideal also.