PDA

View Full Version : Jacket reducing ram and punches

gjemba
05-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Pics of the ram and punches used to reduce 45 half jackets to smaller sizes. I made the punches out of old stripper bolts and use drill bushings from McMaster Carr. You need carbide tools if you need to bore out the drill bushings. I just push the jackets through and they fall out the side.

Gary

BT Sniper
05-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Good thinking! Looks good! Love this sight for all the ideas eveyone shares.

Swage ON!

BT

Wayne Smith
08-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Just out of curiosity what is the OD of the bushing?

Wayne Smith
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
OK, found em. Thanks. From your experience do you think I could reduce fully annealed 9mm brass to .3485 (11/32) with this if I ground a champfer in the top and used my Hollywood Sr. press? I'd have to have a punch made for this. Drill out a 1/2" bolt to hold it.

44Vaquero
08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
The more time I spend on forum the more often I find myself looking at small mills, lathes and machining classes at the local community college! Nice work.

gjemba
08-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I think it would not be problem to reduce an annealed 9mm case as long as you use some kind of lube. i just picked a drill bushing that was close to what I needed and bored it to the correct diameter. The bushing OD is .625. Good luck.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks, I'm not there yet. I need to find somebody local to do some metal working. I can walk in with something in my hand and explain exactly what I need. Makes it much easier. I have a Hollywood Sr. single press that I use for swaging, a 1/2" bolt drilled through at the smaller OD and partially drilled for the larger OD would be what I need for a holder. Then a punch to fit in one of my extra die bodies. Course, I have to grind off the nose of a old die for my Herter's Swage press too. Lot to do.