PDA

View Full Version : probably been asked a million times

Arisaka99
05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
What is a good sight for a .22 Pistol. I have a beretta neos and was thinking about getting either a red dot or a pistol scope. Which one would be better? It will be used for target shooting and squirrel hunting. I am kind of leaning toward a cheap tru glo or BSA red dOt from walmart, but I figured you'd have better suggestions.

btroj
05-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Better is in the eye of the beholder.
I had a red dot on my Ruger 22 and did not like it for squirrels at all. Dot was too big and too bright. Covered too much of the animal and in shady areas it was hard to see the animal thru the sight. I prefer a scope for this type of hunting.
Brad

jh45gun
05-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I really like the Bushnell Trophy Red dot it has 4 reticules and is not that bad in price between a 100 and a 120 dollars. I have had cheap red dots before those around the 30 to 50 dollar range and I never liked Red dots until I got this Bushnell. I have it on a Smith&Wesson 22 A and it is a great combo. Very accurate with my Smith. If your going with a Red dot skip the cheap ones and go with at least the Bushnell.

bobthenailer
05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
after using & owening red dot sights & scopes on handguns for 25 years for hunting , plinking and match shooting ! I can shoot a red dot sight better than a scope off hand ! for off hand shooting with a scope i prefer a dot over crosshairs, i currently have about 25 red dot sights and about 7 pistol scopes to select from . some are spares !
IMO you need to spend about $100.00 + to get a decent red dot sight !
I have them ranging in price from $35.00 to $600.00 .

Arisaka99
05-08-2011, 06:24 PM
ok, i only have about 40$ to spend on one.

Matthew 25
05-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Looks like iron sights. Irons are better than cheap glass, IMO. Well, I like irons better than a lot of nice glass, too.

Arisaka99
05-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah, im just lazy, its easier to use a red dot than to use irons, but I can use them if i have to....

bobthenailer
05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Go to wally world and get a tasco red dot sighting device ! there around $33.00 .
would be my recomndation in that price range , i have them on my grandsons 22 lr chipmonk riflel and on a air pistol , and im satsfied with them and on mine at least the dots are round not distorted like some , they are said to be rated up to 357 mag recoil level .
they make 2 models 3/8 & 5/8 dovetail !

Char-Gar
05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Good red dot sights on a good 22 are a marvelous combination. I shoot in a 22 handgun falling plate match each week and the competitors use all kinds of optical sights. There is just no way iron sights can compete. Some folks try (I did) but after a couple of weeks, they show up sporting some kind of glass.

When it is all said and done, regardless of what type of optical sight you choose, the higher priced ones do much better than the cheaper ones. We have had five Tasco red dot sights roll snake yes in the past month alone.

I have used a Burris Speed Dot for the past three years. I like the smaller 3 MOA dot. It is plenty big enough to see and small enough to hit small targets at a distance. It has not lost it's zero even after having been removed from the base numerous times. This sight will set you back about $200.00, but I can recommend it highly.

Arisaka99
05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
hmm, ill have to check it out..... thanks guys, ill let you knowwhats up. Ill probably buy a cheap dot just for plinking and whatever so its easier for my mom and sister to shoot it.