PDA

View Full Version : HI Point

jh45gun
05-07-2011, 10:51 PM
As Thomas Magnum used to say on his show " I know what your thinking" LOL yea I know the comments for and against it seems like a lot of folks like these and a lot of folks like to bash them. Well I am used to that when I first bought my Henry folks bashed them all over the place on the net and now they seem to have shut up. No it is no 1911 I got it cheap and hardly used a friend wanted money to buy a revolver he fell in love with. I plan on saving up for a 1911 but with my income that could take a while I had the money for this on hand and it is in 45 ACP. It is a year old and only had 32 rounds of Golden Saber through it. For a Ben Franklin and a fin I snapped it up. It cost me a bit more but I deducted the price of the ammo that came with it. 18 rounds of Golden Saber I figure that was worth 15 bucks.

Combat Diver
05-08-2011, 06:04 AM
I've only shot one Hi Point pistol. Seems some renters vacated my FIL trailer and left it behind. Sheriffs office ran the gun and it wasn't stolen so my FIL got to keep it. I fired two mags of USGI 230gr M1911 ball thru it without a hitch. As stated its not a 1911 but does seem to work. Will it go the thousands of rounds of .45 like I did with my 25 yr old 1911, doubt it but it works for him. Back on your question if it serves your purpose until til you can afford a better gun then, it should serve well. First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun, any gun!

CD

Dman4321
05-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Sad to admit it, but I love my Hi-Point 45. It isnt the nicest looking gun out there, but since i polished the feed ramp, it never has any issues, and will reliably eat any ammo! plus it was cheap!

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2011, 06:37 AM
never had a pistol but had a carbine in .40 and its was a good shooter and very reliable. Gave it to my nieghbor and he and his kid shoot the snot out of it.

jh45gun
05-08-2011, 07:30 AM
I've only shot one Hi Point pistol. Seems some renters vacated my FIL trailer and left it behind. Sheriffs office ran the gun and it wasn't stolen so my FIL got to keep it. I fired two mags of USGI 230gr M1911 ball thru it without a hitch. As stated its not a 1911 but does seem to work. Will it go the thousands of rounds of .45 like I did with my 25 yr old 1911, doubt it but it works for him. Back on your question if it serves your purpose until til you can afford a better gun then, it should serve well. First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun, any gun!

CD

I have seen reports of guys that have them that have shot thousands of rounds through them with out a hitch. I have found since I posted that I bought one on this forum and others that some folks I know internet wise that I thought would never own one do and they like them.

I did a internet search to see what folks were saying before I bought this gun. Both good and bad reports but it seemed that a lot of folks bashing them never shot one. In fact one web site said they could not support these guns as a defensive weapon even though they freely admitted they never seen one, or shot one. Talk about uninformed bias. Now as far as those that bash them goes I went through that whole scenario before when I bought my Henry 22 Mag Lever Gun. Now you hardly hear anyone bashing Henry because they are great guns and their fantastic Customer Service. Seems that HI-Point has the same sort of Customer Service with a life time warranty. I also contacted a place locally that sells them and he said they have had great luck with them with only a couple that came back with minor issues that the company took care of with their warranty. Pretty nice that their warranty is like Leupolds does not matter if your the first owner or the tenth they will back their product.

klcarroll
05-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Ya'll need to watch this video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

It starts out like a Hi Point bashing session, but winds up with the two clowns finding out that they simply can't kill the test pistols. (This included pounding a cartridge case into the muzzle WITH A BRICK to create a bore restriction, and then firing a round that had been loaded WAY past proof pressures!)

After watching this video, I decided to buy a Hi Point!

Kent

roverboy
05-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I saw the video. Tough, tough guns. I wouldn't mind having a Hi-Point myself.

tinyejp
05-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I have a Hi Point C9 that I bought new. The guys at the shop hardly wanted to speak to me after I told them what I was after, except to try and talk me into more expensive pistols. Once they heard my girlfriend wanted a Kel Tec P11, they got a little nicer, but not much.

I have shot thousands of rounds through this little (lol...it is a brick!) fella, and haven't had many problems that could not be fixed by changing something in the reloading process. Every factory round I've fired went like clockwork. After all the rounds I have fed it, the old girl is getting a little tired, but it does still function and I would be comfortable carrying it.

That being said, it is not nearly as accurate as it once was. It seems to have loosened up considerably, and the groups have gone from 5-6" at 7 yds, quick, to 8-10". I keep thinking I should send it in for a refurb, but at the cost I sort of feel I have already gotten my money's worth and maybe I should just go buy another. I would be perfectly happy spending the money again, but in this economy I may take advantage of the warranty instead.

RobS
05-08-2011, 09:50 AM
$135 plus tax four years ago and my friend walked out with a 45 Hi Point JHP from a store in Missouri. He's shot cast boolits through it and where as it did jam once in a while with the stubby Lee TL 200gr SWC it has never had issues with the Lee TC boolit or the HP's I cast up for him. Yes it is a brick and the sights are just as ugly and it is rough in the barrel with machine marks but it's been reliable and as accurate as my springfield. I did fire lap it a bit to help out the barrel but even though it was rough before it really didn't lead much and never was any worse from the first mag to next.

jh45gun
05-08-2011, 10:07 AM
The bore in this one looks good. tinyejp call the company and tell them it is getting worn out and they will tell you to send it back to them. That is what I been hearing on the net their warranty will honor any problems even wearing out the gun from shooting a ton of ammo through them.

The local gun shop will not sell them they say they are not good guns and that is the reason they say they are not selling them. I think the reason is they cannot make as much money selling these guns as they can the more expensive Glocks and other polymer semi autos. So they just say they will not sell them because they are not good guns which is BS from the reports I have been reading about them. Those that have them seem to be mostly positive.

RobS
05-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Good to hear your barrel isn't full of machine marks. My friend's was worst at the start of the lands there in the throat. His bore was also tight with a groove diameter of .4495 so I wasn't too concerned about fire lapping it any.

Love Life
05-08-2011, 10:42 AM
This is a great thread. I have seen these pistols before and always left them alone for the obvious reasons (not name brand, too cheap to work, etc) Now I need to play with one. My thanks go to the OP.

jh45gun
05-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Your welcome. I think for the money you cannot go wrong.

Frosty Boolit
05-08-2011, 02:35 PM
My only complaint is that with the heavy slide necessary for a blowback action in the calibers it is available in, it feels like a brick on a stick. The on I shot was a .45 and it was very accurate at 7 yards. If I remeber it shot about a 3 inch group. I don't own that gun but I do have the .40 carbine and it is by far the most fun gun I have in my safe. I shot between 900-1000 rounds through and when I broke it down for a complete cleaning i was surprised at how filthy it was but more importantly that it still worked flawlessly. Do your self a favor and get a carbine to go along with it.

jh45gun
05-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I hear the carbines are good also but I have a 30/30 model 94 that gets my urge to shoot carbines I load it with cast bullets.

Johnch
05-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I have a 9 mm carbine

Nothing to look at

But accurate enough to shoot clay pigons at 50 meters
It digests everthing I can get loaded into the mag

John

Artful
05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I have a 40 SW left behind by a friend that moved - offered to ship it to him - he said keep it.

I have shot it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Buddy
05-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I had a 45 Hi Point that I gave to my brother a few years ago. Reason being he could shoot it better than my 1911. Big and ugly, he carries it on the farm all the time. I see they now have the carbine available in 45acp. That pistol just didn't feel right to me, I could shoot rings around it w/the 1911 but my brother does just fine with it.

jh45gun
05-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I actually do not mind the way it feels and I like the sights.

tinyejp
05-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Must be something about Brothers and Hi Points! The reason I first was interested in them was I enjoyed shooting my brother's .45 so much!

Incidentally, I shot his .45 far better than I could ever shoot my C9.

Love Life
05-09-2011, 12:41 AM
I did a bunch of reading today and it looks like the hi-point pistols are getting the thumbs up from alot of different sources. If you read through old posts on other websites you see where people orignally poo pooed the guns, but now the people that actually own them love them. Kinda like the bersa thunder. Dang now it's time to start perusing the gun stores.

jh45gun
05-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Like I said I went through the same thing when I bought my Henry 22 Mag lots of guys bashing them until all the positive reports started coming in they they bashing pretty much quit though any product is gonna get some negative press. When I bought my cell phone I read some negative stuff but bought it anyway it is a Sony Erickson phone and I like the features on this phone more so than any of the others I had. But then each new phone I get seems fancier then the next one.

jh45gun
05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Stopped at the Gun shop and picked up some Remington FMJ 230 grain and told the guys I bought a HI Point and they were giving me the I'm Sorry BS. I told them I would rather have a gun on hand I could afford at the moment that is clip fed then try to save up money for a gun that would take me a long time to get the money for and not have a gun on hand.

Ever shoot a target gun with a barrel weight on it that is what these feel like to me and I kinda like that heavy slide weight it seems to hold steady for me that way.

454PB
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
In one of my garage sale buys, I ended up with a pile of empty .40 S&W brass and 1000 plated and commercial cast bullets. The stuff sat around for a while, and in the classic trap, I ended up buying a Hi- Point .40 for $150 to use the components in. Though butt ugly and having all the handling characteristics of a brick, it shoots very well. With a wrist rest, it will shoot a magazine full into 2" to 3" at 25 yards.

deymorin
06-20-2011, 01:32 PM
I thought the same thing bout hp's, till I bought one. The only boring thing about it is how often it goes bang. Made in the USA and if it breaks they fix it and give you a free mag for your trouble. To my mind that makes it as good as a ruger.

klcarroll
06-20-2011, 01:40 PM
My Hi Points are just like my Webleys: .......Big...., Reliable...., and Ugly!!

......Everyone will point and laugh: .......Except the guy who happens to be enjoying the view from the front!

All kidding aside, I love them!! ....I may even start collecting Hi Points, as they have already been through several generations!

Kent

jh45gun
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Yea they are not pretty like a nice SA or a 1911 but as long as they do the job that is all I care about. I just wish they would start making flush magazines.

Arisaka99
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Ive thought about getting one, but I guess Ill have to wait till I turn 21... oh darn.....