PDA

View Full Version : Good news und bad news

jhrosier
05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, the good news is that I stumbled into 200 lbs of lead for 50 cents a pound from an estate sale.
The bad news is that half of it is a big old 4 x 4 x whatever chunk that won't fit my pot.
I have sworn to not spend more than the value of the metal to get it melted into smaller ingots.
I just spent $14 on a 3/8" wide - 6 tpi blade for my bandsaw.
Even if it doesn't work out I can use the blade for other purposes.
I've cut up to 1-1/2" pieces with a 1/8" wide blade.

Jack

Doby45
05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Band saw normally does not work that well cutting thicker lead. One of the other members here just had to break the blade after he did that very thing and his band saw was a large one also.

jhrosier
05-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Doby,

The coarse pitch wood cutting blade worked pretty good on the 1-1/2" pieces.
I wouldn't want to try it with a fine pitch metal cutting blade though.

I know that I could cut it with a carbide blade in the table saw because I've cut aluminum up to 2" thick.
It is really not fun with the metal splinters shooting out of the saw.
Besides, I don't have a face shield at home.

Jack

Hardcast416taylor
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
By saying "a big old 4 x 4" are you refering to inches or feet? Don`t you have any kind of propane torch or acetelyne torch available or can borrow? Saw blades can get stuck in the kerf cut and snap, or have to be melted free. You didn`t mention what type of lead this is, soft or ww, or alloy.Robert

Doby45
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
The coarse pitch wood cutting blade worked pretty good on the 1-1/2" pieces.

If I am not mistaken thats what the other guys used and for the same reason. But you go ahead and run it and let us know how it comes out. Maybe the other fellar did something wrong.

dragonrider
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Use beeswax on the blade while it is running.

jhrosier
05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
By saying "a big old 4 x 4" are you refering to inches or feet?... t
inches[smilie=l:a 4x4 foot chunk would be a real problem.

Use beeswax on the blade while it is running.
Good idea, thanks.

BTW, the backup plan is an axe and a five pound hammer.
I have several hundred pounds of ingots of various alloys to work with besides this lot so there is no rush to get this done.

I figure that 200 lbs of lead should keep me shooting for a couple of years at my current rate.

Not being greedy, but I think that I'm going to work on accumulating a half ton over the next couple of years.

Jack

Green Frog
05-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Another possibility is a chainsaw and lots of oil. It's slow, messy going and you have a lot of oily swarf to reclaim when you are done, but it does work. Don't plan on using the chain/blade again on wood without lots of work!

Froggie

Bullshop
05-07-2011, 06:44 PM
.....I figure that 200 lbs of lead should keep me shooting for a couple of years at my current rate......

I think your in for a big surprise!

mold maker
05-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Don't try to push the large lead fast, through the band saw and keep a little wax on the blade. I cut over 600lbs into manageable pieces that way with a 1/4" 4 tpi wood blade.
Be sure to catch (gather) all the shavings. They will even flux the smelt with the included wax.

Greg5278
05-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I second the chainsaw idea. I have cut large hunks of lead with it. Beware the shavings and swarf flying free. A Faceshield is defintely needed, and heavy gloves with long sleeves. The flying chips can break the skin, but it cuts fine without binding. Be careful when starting the cut, use a light touch, and constant pressure once started.
Greg

jhrosier
05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
.....I figure that 200 lbs of lead should keep me shooting for a couple of years at my current rate......

I think your in for a big surprise!

I figure that 200 lbs of lead with 4% tin and 4% antimony added will give me nearly 3500 boolits per year. That, supplemented with shooting fifty rounds of .22 per week is just a bit more than I currently use. I shoot a mix of .38 Spl, 45 ACP, and .44Spl in the handguns and mostly .30 cal rifle, with the big bore rifles just once in a while. A hundred rounds of handgun ammo, fifty rounds of rifle and fifty rounds of .22 is good for a couple of range sessions per week.

In the long term I am more concerned with the availability of lead and alloys than anything else.

Jack

clodhopper
05-07-2011, 07:58 PM
If you are going to saw the lead, the biggest difficuly is friction on the blade, the reccomendations of wax to lube the blade are good ones.
A coarse blade with thick teeth that makes a wide kerf will do wonders to reduce friction also.

ColColt
05-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I can tell you what won't work-a saws all. Me and the guy next door tried that with my 8x4x2" thick brick of lead and i held a corner while he sawed and it jarred us both pretty bad to the point we quit and got out a cold chisel and cut in in three pieces.

bhn22
05-07-2011, 08:04 PM
A heavy hammer & a brick masons chisel will do the trick in a few minutes. You can get the chisel at any large hardware store.