PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 buckets ww, mini rant.

passgas55
05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Last week I found a mom and pop tire shop and ask to purchase the wheel weights. He said yes at 15 cents a pound. Went yesterday to get the ww and there was an old man watching me take out my scales and buckets. walks over next to me and the owner, starts saying how much metals went up in price, etc. would not shut up:groner:. He was just a customer. Next thing you know the owner wanted 20 cents a pound. I agreed because he was the only place that will sell me ww. then the old man steps on my scales like he was checking out if they were right or not. then his grandauther or lover just don't know these days said it would be very expensive if i had to pay for her per pound. I just wish some people would mind there own buisness. I did end up with 288 lbs. Looks to be mostly lead ww.

Atakawow
05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
For .20/#, I'll deal with all the BS from folks all day long. Hell, I'll even buy them a beer.

passgas55
05-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I grab 107#s out of one of the buckets. It came out to 7# of FE, 80# lead ww and 20# of lead stickes. Not bad. I need to stop by again to see how long it will take to get 300#.

L1A1Rocker
05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Honestly I think I would have told the shop owner to sell it to the old man for .20 a pound. When the old man said that he didn't want it I would have told him that he needed to stay out of others peopls business then. I would have paid the .15 or walked.

white eagle
05-08-2011, 12:05 AM
just remind him how lucky he is you are taking the filthy lead for him

passgas55
05-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I did talk to another tire repair shop about the wheel weights. Told me that he gets a good 5 gallon bucket full about every 3 months. said he will sell for $30 and it will be over 150#s. Just sold a bucket full. Then he tells me that he has 2 other guys come in looking for ww. They were boolit casters too. He use to get a lot of wheel weights when he had a deal with the scrap yards taking the tire and rims off the old cars. After Katrina he had lots of wheel weights. The past year they started to crush the cars with the tires on. Now he can't savage the tires or rims.
Now I will check a couple of places in New Orleans East. Why I did not think of them I don't know. Also I may have a lead on 500# of lead if they can remember where they stored it at. How you lose 500# of lead? Lead is out there you just got to ask and beat the bushes for it.

grisy11
05-09-2011, 10:25 PM
500# lost?? that would be like losing MY EX LOL she is not that big but a vary big pain in the but

troy_mclure
05-10-2011, 10:00 AM
every single tire shop here either has contracts for recycling, sends them back for refurbishing, or already has somebody they sell them to.

it makes my day if i find a wheel weight on the ground. lol

myfriendis410
05-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Count your blessings: in Kalifornia they outlawed lead wheel weights on July 1, 2010 so our available stocks are rapidly diminishing. I am given ww from a local store and they're still taking 'em off of customer vehicles, but I sorted half a bucket and got maybe 1/2 of it lead. The rest was Fe or Zn.

bumpo628
05-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Has anybody tried bringing the Steel weights back to a shop that has a contract and trading for their bucket? You might have to kick in some cash too, but that way they'll have something to turn in and you'll get some more lead. Win-Win.

clintsfolly
05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Or sell the FE ww, zinc ww and clips back to the scrap yard!! Sold some today and got $.12 per lbs. Clint