PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate lube

Jamesconn
05-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I have heard you need lube fir the sprue plate on lee 6 cavities what is a homemade recipe?

cbrick
05-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Dunno about homemade. Bullplate is the only thing I've ever used, it's only a few bucks. Probably couldn't buy stuff much cheaper than ordering it.

Rick

edsmith
05-06-2011, 05:44 PM
2 cycle motor oil works great. it is all I use.

jmsj
05-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I have to agree w cbrick. I have tried a lot of other things for sprue plate lube, two stroke oil, beeswax, alox, high tempature antiseize and others. If applied correctly Bullpplate doesn't build up, migrate into cavities or smell bad. It simply works better than anything I have tried.
jmsj

RobS
05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Bullplate is the best thing I've used as well however if you are waiting then a high end synthetic 2 stroke oil is a good option. With either apply very, very little as too much can/will migrate into the cavities. It's better to use too less and have to had more than it is to use too much and have to stop to wash your mold out.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-07-2011, 12:23 PM
OK, -------- I haven't used the bullplate, but have used the lube Veral Smith supplies in little sticks.

Does anyone have hands on experience with both?????????????

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

RobS
05-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Done them both as I've had LBT molds in the past and I prefer Bullplate over the thin, dark brownish colored LBT sticks of lube. Once again, I've used Bullplate on even LBT molds with a better liking to it.

cbrick
05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
OK, -------- I haven't used the bullplate, but have used the lube Veral Smith supplies in little sticks.

Does anyone have hands on experience with both?????????????

Keep em coming! Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep, done both. Verals little sticks are simply LBT bullet lube unless he has changed it in recent years. Must be an interesting lube stick mold he has.

Can't compare the two, there is simply nothing to compare.

Bullet lube or Bullplate?

Rick

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Veral's product is a very dark gray or black, so it isn't his LBT blue lube.

Sounds as if with these two replys, the bullplate is ahead on the positive list.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

theperfessor
05-07-2011, 04:39 PM
BullPlate. Period. Buy two bottles. Most of us figure out a creative way to spill the first one.

cbrick
05-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Veral's product is a very dark gray or black, so it isn't his LBT blue lube.
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I have a couple of his sticks and it's his bullet lube, color and all. It burns and gums up under the sprue plate, runs and will not stay where you put it no matter how little you use. If the color has changed I wonder if he has changed the lube or just the color.

I'll ask again. Beeswax bullet lube or Bullplate?

Rick

cbrick
05-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Spill the Bullplate? Don't be silly Perfessor, couldn't spill it if I tried.

Right out of their bottle into mine. No spills and one drop at a time, just as it should be.

Rick

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Hard to know what Veral may have or not done with his product.

The sticks I got with my first LBT mold back 10+ years ago were black and the ones I bought with my LBT mold last Summer were also black. Maybe those sticks are just a duke's mixture of ???????

Will need to look into the Bullplate stuff.

Bruce from BRP molds, recommended the bullplate with the new 45/70 mold I rec'd a couple weeks ago.

By the way, that mold is A1+ as per quality and casting.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

geargnasher
05-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Dimethylpolysiloxane oil. Stands the heat, doesn't migrate, and stays clear. Bullplate works well, too.

Gear

cbrick
05-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Dimethylpolysiloxane.

Oh sure, that's easy for you to say. :coffeecom

Rick

geargnasher
05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
....AND spell :bigsmyl2: Sometimes it's called Polydimethylsiloxane. You know, it's like all those other big words like "watermelon" and "elephant".

Gear

onondaga
05-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Clear Silicone Dielectric Grease from an auto parts store is what Gear is spelling on the long form.

I use it too and and am completely happy with it. Apply very sparingly with a Q-tip. Just enough to put a shine where you need to,

Gary

geargnasher
05-08-2011, 01:32 AM
I prefer the straight oil, but the silicone "grease" or dielecric compound is just the oil thickened with some variety of fumed silica.

Gear

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-08-2011, 02:20 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, THANKS for spelling it out for the rest of us. Wanted to know, Just didn't want to be the one to ask. :-?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Russ in WY
05-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Just got 2 bottles of Bullplate last week & NO More Round Bottoms .. I just flat lost/misplaced the 1st bottle I had. Wonder what the samall bottle is that comes with the Mihec molds ///Anybody have an idea ????

nanuk
05-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Dimethylpolysiloxane oil. Stands the heat, doesn't migrate, and stays clear. Bullplate works well, too.

Gear

Damn-Ethyl-Prolly-still-likes-an-Oil, but I prefer Guiness! or three to lube me up.

I bought two bottles of the round bottom ones for my moulds

ColColt
05-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Dimethylpolysiloxane-Sounds like an ingredient in the meds I take for cholesterol problems.

cbrick
05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Dimethylpolysiloxane-Sounds like an ingredient in the meds I take for cholesterol problems.

hehe . . . It is, oils the ole tubes right up. :holysheep

Rick

dk17hmr
05-11-2011, 01:50 AM
I use 75W140 full synthetic oil, I had 1/2 a bottle left after changing out the seals and refilling the oil in the rear differential of my F150.....stuff works great it is like $20 for 32oz, but I had it left over.

captaint
05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm real partial to the little Bullplate bottles that come with NOE molds. Put the red plastic cap on and you can kick the bottle all over the place. No spills!!! Mike

SciFiJim
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Dimethylpolysiloxane oil.

I just HAD to google it to find out what it was. Found out it is an ingredient in McNugetts and Silly Putty. :holysheep

I prefer Bullplate. I spilled half of my first bottle the very first time I used it. Now I use one of the little bottles supplied with NOE molds and refill as needed from what is left from the spilled bottle.

Jamesconn, save your change for a while and get a couple of bottles. I think it is $11.50 for two bottles shipping included. You might PM Bullshop to be sure. They are good people. Just mail the money order and they will mail the lube back to you.
http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_lube.htm (http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_lube.htm)

geargnasher
05-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Jim, you might as well just squeeze out a ribbon of tune-up grease and eat it if you have a Mcflurry with your nuggets, many milkshakes are thickened with fumed silica, so you get that and your silicone oil all at once! Now I'm getting hungry...........

Gear

steg
05-22-2011, 05:12 PM
+1 on the 2 cycle motor oil, I ran out of the other stuff once and remembered someone sugesting using the 2 cycle oil, I tried it and never went back, it works just as well or better than the other, not to mention the price difference.............................steg

ColColt
05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Speaking of Bull Plate, I have a couple bottles and wondered if it's necessary to lube the spruce plate/top of mold each time you use that mold or is a one time application sufficient? It seems to still show after several casting sessions for me but was just curious.

Rockydog
05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Bullplate is the only way to fly and while you are at it pick up a couple of containers of his case sizing lube as well. His lube products really do what he says they will. RD

That'll Do
05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Bullplate is the ticket. I have enough little bottles from the NOE group buy molds to last a lifetime.

On a related note, does anyone notice a difference between Bullplate, and the sprue plate lube that Miha packages with his molds?

thegreatdane
05-28-2011, 03:18 AM
Wonder what the samall bottle is that comes with the Mihec molds ///Anybody have an idea ????

I was wondering the same.

MikeS
05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I was under the impression that the lube sample WAS Bullplate, am I wrong?

Lizard333
06-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Bullplate is the best thing I've used as well however if you are waiting then a high end synthetic 2 stroke oil is a good option. With either apply very, very little as too much can/will migrate into the cavities. It's better to use too less and have to had more than it is to use too much and have to stop to wash your mold out.

That's funny that you mention this because I thought Bull Plate smelled a lot like the synthetic two stroke oil I by from Polaris for my quads.. Glad I'm not the only one.....

Matt_G
06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Wonder what the samall bottle is that comes with the Mihec molds ///Anybody have an idea ????

On a related note, does anyone notice a difference between Bullplate, and the sprue plate lube that Miha packages with his molds?

I was under the impression that the lube sample WAS Bullplate, am I wrong?

I remember reading a post by Miha answering this very question. He said the bottles he sends with his moulds are NOT BullPlate. They are his own recipe for sprue plate lube. That being said, I have both and they sure look, feel and smell the same. I think they are the same, it's just that Miha isn't getting it from Bullshop and then repackaging it. He just found the same solution for the problem.

Matt_G
06-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Speaking of Bull Plate, I have a couple bottles and wondered if it's necessary to lube the spruce plate/top of mold each time you use that mold or is a one time application sufficient? It seems to still show after several casting sessions for me but was just curious.

I give the mould a wipe every session.
The following is from a post by Bullshop:

Since it takes so little I treat at the beginning of each session. After an hour or so if I feel any drag at all I just give a quick wipe before I drop the boolits and keep on going. I found a new mold needed to be treated 2 to 3 times in the first session but after the break in once at the beginning was good.

bhn22
06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
LBT mould lube is simply described as "colloidal graphite", on his web site. I've had great success with it.

milprileb
06-06-2011, 08:06 AM
colloidal graphite

Sounds like Preparation H or some suppository.

So, does anyone know what colloidal graphite is in a form that
mere mortals can find readily ?

L1A1Rocker
06-06-2011, 02:08 PM
colloidal graphite

Sounds like Preparation H or some suppository.

So, does anyone know what colloidal graphite is in a form that
mere mortals can find readily ?

It's graphite suspended in a bunch of stuff.

(kə′löid·əl ′gra′fīt)

(materials) Extremely fine flakes of graphite suspended in water, petroleum oil, castor oil, glycerin, or other liquids; used to provide conductive shields on the inside or outside surfaces of electron tubes.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/colloidal-graphite#ixzz1OWKmz3Lj

Moonie
06-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Sounds like mold release agent to me...

mebe007
06-07-2011, 03:45 PM
i tried automatic transmission fluid. seemed to work well. no i just use stihl syn 2 stroke oil from work.

kostner
06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Just mailed my $6.50 for a bottle of Bullplate today after a seach of what casters found that works it was alway Bullplate. Will give you a review as soon as it arrives. Jim