PDA

View Full Version : Long barreled Vaquero

David LaPell
05-06-2011, 12:18 AM
I found this long barreled early Vaquero in .45 Colt and just couldn't pass it up. I canned the cheap polymer grips that came with the gun since one was cracked and the grip screw was missing. These grips on it have an interesting story behind them. You might notice that they don't quite fit the gun. Back in 1995 when I got my first handgun which was a .357 Blackhawk my uncle told me about a guy he worked with who did some work with wood but had never done anything with pistol grips. The guy was a gun collector but had sold all of his handguns when his son committed suicide with one of his guns. After that he never touched another handgun or had anything to do with them, until he did these grips out of birdseye maple. So while they might not look like they fit the gun, they fit my hand perfectly, they are slightly contoured in a few different spots. I normally don't put these grips on anything, I have them in my safe due to sentimental reasons, but for now until I can get something I am not afraid of damaging I'll keep these on.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/vaquero.jpg

RobS
05-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Nice looker, I like the older Vaquero's..........now for some lead and powder treatments :).