PDA

View Full Version : Son's gift to me

omgb
12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
My son works in the mortgage business and at 27, still lives at home. I love the kid but getting rent outa him (he makes 80K) is like squeezing blood from a rock. Just as I'm about to bust his chops for not paying the 60 bucks to the lawn service, he pops in with a gift for his mom, a brand-spanking new Toshiba 17" laptop with all of the bells and wistles. Now as I'm gloating with pride over his good deed for mom, he says to me, "and this is for you dad". He hands me a receipt for a Colt Govt. XSE in 45 ACP. I can pick it up on the 29th after the stupid waiting period is over. So, I guess he made good on the rent for the room. :roll: Shoot, if he'd have given me the rent money all of these months I would have blown it. This way mom get the new Laptop she needs for her classroom and I get a new toy. I love Christmas! Oh, FWIW, I paid the gardener.

NVcurmudgeon
12-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Yep, just when you are considering accepting the slaver's bid for your kids, they do something like that! With me it was a Father's Day brand-new lawn tractor.

Buckshot
12-20-2006, 04:13 AM
..............Nice presents all around. Great kids (even if they don't lavish wonderfull presents) are blessing enough. I look at some of what's walking around out there and send a little prayer of thanks winging it's way on high :-)

..............Buckshot

26Charlie
12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
What Buckshot said. I gave my son-in-law an engagement present - My .44 Mag. Redhawk. Told him if they didn't get married he'd have to give it back. 15 years later I've got two brilliant, beautiful grand-daughters, and he gave me a Honda 4-wheeler.
Of course I picked out a Ruger rifle for each of the grand-daughters shortly after each was born, and they are about to get them when the oldest turns 12 next year. Had several years to "see how they shoot" with cast bullets - a M77 .250 Sav. Mannlicher style, and a M77/44 .44 Mag.

lovedogs
12-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey, ombg... Your thing about vegans is cute. Vegans are in a minority. But I feel inclined to tell you something about being a vegan. For health reasons I decided to try going vegan for a while. That was six years ago. I've been a hunter all my life since age 7. I'm retired from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, believe in the hunt ethic, and am more of an avid hunter than probably anyone you know. Though I no longer eat meat, or even dairy products, I still hunt and give the meat to people who need help, like seniors and single mothers. I take excellent care of the game I shoot and the meat I provide for others is much appreciated. This year I gave away around 700 pounds of choice game meat, all licenses bought and paid for with my own money.

Since going vegan my doctor has remarked after my physical exams that my cholesterol, blood pressure, heart, and all systems are in better shape than ever. I'm almost 59 now and my treadmill stress tests look like those of a healthy 35 year-old. All winter I hunt coyotes carrying a 20 pound pack and a rifle or Contender pistol. I walk all day in snow or whatever conditions I encounter. You'll look long and hard to find a healthier person. I invite any who would like to to come hunt alongside of me and see if you can do as well. My doctor contributes this good health to the vegan lifestyle. I loved my wild game. Nothing was better than a good whitetail steak. But enjoying life and being in excellent health is pretty nice, too. I can't see how becoming a vegan has hurt me in the least. I'm not offended by comments on it. But you should know that it is a proven fact that it's the healthiest lifestyle you can have.

felix
12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Lovedogs, this one is for you:

A couple in their nineties are both having problems remembering things.
They decide to go to the doctor for a checkup. The doctor tells them that they're physically okay, but they might want to start writing things down to help them remember.

Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up from his chair.

His wife asks, "Where are you going?"

"To the kitchen" he replies.

"Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?"

"Sure."

"Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" she asks.

"No, I can remember it."

"Well, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. You'd better write it down because you know you'll forget it."

He says, "I can remember that! You want a bowl of ice cream with strawberries."

"I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, so you'd better write it down!" she retorts.

Irritated, he says, "I don't need to write it down, I can remember it! Leave me alone! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got it, for goodness sake!" Then he grumbles into the kitchen.

After about 20 minutes the old man returns from the kitchen and hands his wife a plate of bacon and eggs.

She stares at the plate for a moment and says - "Where's my toast?

... felix

PatMarlin
12-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Eventually, every good father has his day.. :mrgreen: :drinks:

Explorer1
12-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a keeper to me!
Afterall, you can guide 'em and teach 'em, but sometime they are going to be on their own and make their own choices.
Darn, wish I had a chance to save some $$$ before the world hit me between the eyes............

lovedogs
12-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey, Felix... good one! A good sense of humor is a great asset! After all, laughter is the best medicine. It can break down many walls, also.

felix
12-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Par for my game, I forgot all about it and had to go do a looksee to see what you were talking about. ... felix

Frank46
12-26-2006, 11:32 PM
I have to agree. Somehow I managed to mess up my right eye just before Christmas. Gave my daughters the charge card and list for my wife. Every thing turned out fine and the wife. was she suprised. Frank

trickyasafox
01-05-2007, 10:08 PM
veganism is fantastic if you can do it. i heart meat way to much. It's nice to see a vegan though he isn't convinced bambi is better off living a long life than me, and that all humans are evil :( unfortunately your the first one i've spoken with who is reasonable. (not that i'm perfect, but i can only hear how awful i am for not dedicating my life to PETA sooo many times :p )