PDA

View Full Version : storing alloy outside?

troy_mclure
05-05-2011, 06:14 PM
the shed where i store my alloys(lead, #2, antimonial tin) is going to be demolished.

i live in a high temp/humidity/rain region.

current they are in 5gal buckets(no lids).

any advise on storing them to protect from corrosion?

lwknight
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
If you don't keep them dry , the life expectany will be less than a few billion years.
OK, seriously, acid rain can corrode lead if it stays wet for a long time.

onondaga
05-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Couple ideas, drill a few holes in the pail bottoms so water drains out or cover the pails. A piece of plastic tarp or bag can be tied on the tops of the pails.

Gary

kyswede
05-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Lids are 99 cents each at Lowe's, but somebody posted about getting them free at Home Depot if you buy buckets.
kyswede

frankenfab
05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
The biggest worry about keeping your stash outside is that it is easier to steal.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I use military surplus 50 cal ammo cans.
they are not cheap like plastic buckets,
but the life expectancy is much higher.
plus they seal over and over and over.
Jon

PS it's nearly impossible to carry around a 5 gallon bucket full of ingots.
it's very easy carrying ammo can's filled with ingots, and they stack nicely.

troy_mclure
05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
well i have 7 buckets with around 50lbs of alloy each, i can fit it all in 2 or 3 for storage purposes.

squirrelnuttz
05-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm stuck storing mine outdoors in buckets.I started with them in manageable amounts to handle in each bucket.Then it occured to me that I ought to make it take as long as possible and ba as much of a pain to steal.So I filled them right to the top, gotta be 300 lb to the bucket.And no empties around.It wpuld just take longer to swipe them,wouldn't actually stop anything.Cover with tarp, casting table,plywood.

Jailer
05-05-2011, 11:56 PM
I can get you some lids if you want. Just PM me and let me know.

mold maker
05-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Dark colored buckets will outlast the white ones, because of the ammount of white pigment used. Neither will last in the sunshine. Build a lean to, facing North (less sun shine) and cover with heavy tarp. Your lead will eventually oxidize on the surface from dampness, but when well fluxed, you won't lose much.

gon2shoot
05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
My second wife through a fit because I built a small lean-to over my WW's and alloy stash (about 20X20).
I don't miss her a bit.:rolleyes:

badbob454
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
a used truck tool box will work or in my case about 4 will work put em on blocks so when they sink they dont go below ground level , or my best choice is ... buy a 8x20 shipping container and use it for reloading .. , lockable , water tight , and a peacefull place from the wife and grandchildren ...add electricity insulate and enjoy

klutz347
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Go to the local Wally World bakery and ask them for buckets and lids. They usually just give them to you for free, they have a rubber gasket on the lid and they are food grade buckets so you can store food in them if needed.

geargnasher
05-06-2011, 02:53 PM
The biggest worry about keeping your stash outside is that it is easier to steal.

+1, sooooo, where do you live???:evil:

I can store them for you, in ingot form, or in some loaded cartridges in my locker, or perhaps in my boolit traps? My traps even have roofs over them......keeps the sand and boolits nice and dry.

Gear

Freightman
05-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Store them on what use to be the lawn with no worry about getting wet, heard the other day that the first four months of this year were the driest since records were kept. May isn't starting out any better not even a cloud in the sky this month so far. As for humidity it has been running a whopping 9/12% and wind at about 40/70mph. Heard a fellow say you can't shoot in a wind and be accurate, if you do not shoot in a wind you aint gona shoot here.
Send us some of your rain we will be beholding I guarantee.

RobS
05-08-2011, 01:02 AM
If you do store outside where lead may come into contact with moisture/water be careful when adding ingots to melted alloy. I sometimes get condensation on mine in my garage/shed and place them on a hotplate to speed-evaporate the water.

Taylor
05-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I use 5 gallon pickle buckets(w/lids).Wife gets them for me from her work.

troy_mclure
05-09-2011, 06:13 PM
well 310lbs of #2, in ingots of various size/shapes fills 2 buckets to the top. lol

Iowa Fox
05-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Troy

If you live by a Caterpillar Dealer they always have 5 gal plastic buckets from fluids with lids going in the dumpster. Antifreeze buckets are the best as they are the easiest to wash out.

35isit
05-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Get some 55 gallon drums with removable lids. I have one I keep my raw lead in. It's water tight and can't be picked up and carried off. I have it about half full. It's 100 times better than storing in buckets.

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2011, 06:24 AM
ive done it for years like that.
Get some 55 gallon drums with removable lids. I have one I keep my raw lead in. It's water tight and can't be picked up and carried off. I have it about half full. It's 100 times better than storing in buckets.

a.squibload
05-17-2011, 04:57 AM
... buy a 8x20 shipping container and use it for reloading .. , lockable , water tight , and a peacefull place from the wife and grandchildren ...add electricity insulate and enjoy

Just be sure to lock the lock before you go in so you can't be shut in there.