PDA

View Full Version : Remington Mosin

94Doug
05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I saw a Remington at a local store yesterday, it was marked 1917 Remington, but it sure was a Mosin. It had a stock that someone had sanded and cut the front off of. Are these worth the same as the Ruskies? They were asking 90.

Doug

spqrzilla
05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Remington and Westinghouse made them for the Russian government during WWI. They have some collectability but depends on condition.

Mk42gunner
05-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Doug,

If you go back to look at it again, make sure it isn't one of the Bannerman specials. The US gov't ended up with a lot of these rifles after the Russian revolution, they ended up at Bannerman's and were rechambered to .30-06. Without setting the barrel back any. Needless to say the conversion is unsafe.

If it is still in the origianl 7.62X54R, I'd offer them somewhere around $65-70 and go from there.

Robert

303Guy
05-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Wouldn't that depend on the bore condition? And how much you want it? Because of my interest in the Lee Enfield, a Mosin would have to be as issued to be of interest because I would want a sample of the guns of that era and not so much a shooting piece.

94Doug
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I am just looking to get a couple of shooters, one for me, one for my son. They said they have 4-5 in the basement to choose from when I am ready to buy.....I just wondered if this one happened to be worth a little bit more. I think I'll pass.

Doug

3006guns
05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Just a humble opinion......the guns made in our plants were subjected to the most rigorous inspections known to man. An article I read years ago described how the Russian inspectors were all over the place at Remington, with handfuls of gauges, checking every aspect of manufacture. After all........it was for the CZAR!

The general opinion over the years is that the American made guns were of very good quality as far as fit and finish. If the bore looks good I'd go for it.

Good advice on the 30-06 conversion by the way. You might ask that the store owner try to chamber an 06. If it goes in the price needs to drop to the point of just buying an action, 'cause it's going to need rebarreling.

Uncle45Auto
05-06-2011, 09:55 PM
A little known fact. Some of the American made M91 Mosin Nagant rifles were used in combat by American troops stationed in North Russia from 1918 through 1919. Our troops did not like them as much as the 03 and the 1917 Enfield, but for longistical reasons Uncle Sam issued these troops with Mosins.

SlimTim
05-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Worth the same as Russian made Mosin-Nagants? More, unless modified, as you state the rifle has been subjected to. In the stated condition, worth much less than average IMO. But if you are simply looking for a shooter and don't care about the modifications, the neatness factor would make it a buy at 90 clams, I suspect. Remington only made M91 rifles, but it's conceivable that it may have been refurbished into a 91/30. How long is it?

Dutch4122
05-07-2011, 03:05 PM
If the bore is good on this sporterized Remington Mosin I would snap it up. I have a Remington Mosin that was sporterized by Bubba's Grandfather decades ago; and has a like new shiney bore that was cut to 23.5 inches. It's a shooter!

fgd135
05-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Doug,

If you go back to look at it again, make sure it isn't one of the Bannerman specials. The US gov't ended up with a lot of these rifles after the Russian revolution, they ended up at Bannerman's and were rechambered to .30-06. Without setting the barrel back any. Needless to say the conversion is unsafe.

Robert

Needless to say, Bannerman's did indeed set the barrels back before rechambering the rifles to .30-06, along with a few bolt head and magazine mods for the .30-06 cartridge.
Bannerman's are easy to identify, as the shortened knoxform is stamped "CAL .30-06" on the left side above the woodline, and the original Remington or New England Westinghouse rollmarks are obviously altered by the barrel turning.
Any Bannermans in good condition would be a fine, fun gun for shooting cast loads; I know, I have one, and shoot it all the time.
The MN sights, however, are not the greatest.

nicholst55
05-08-2011, 01:37 AM
A little known fact. Some of the American made M91 Mosin Nagant rifles were used in combat by American troops stationed in North Russia from 1918 through 1919. Our troops did not like them as much as the 03 and the 1917 Enfield, but for longistical reasons Uncle Sam issued these troops with Mosins.

Issued as U.S. Rifle, Cal 7.62mm, M1916; when the troops left Siberia they stacked arms - and left them! :cry:

Back in the mid-'70s, I used to support one battalion from one of the Infantry regiments that served in Siberia - the 1st Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment (Bearcats). They were on the DMZ in Korea at the time.

nwellons
05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
With the modified stock, as a collector's gun it has no value except for parts and that would be a good bit less than 90, especially if the barrel has been cut.

As others have said, it may make a great shooter. Surplus ammo is really cheap but corrosive. All that means is you should clean it the day you shoot it, if possible. Almost everyone who shoots corrosive has their method but the simplest and one used by collectors of up to $1,000 Mosins is 5 or 6 wet swabs of Hoppes #9, then one dry patch, followed by a couple of patches of quality oil. I have over 40 Mosins and shoot them regularly.

I save my reloading efforts mostly for obsolete cartridges and ones that are not available in cheap surplus.