PDA

View Full Version : Bullet question

chiefappraiser
05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
I am new to post on this site, but I was hopfull that you could answer a question. I am currently shooting a 225 grain 45 acp ww boolit that measures .452. It seems to shoot good, and shows no sign of leading. I am looking for another mold that may cast more boolits at a time, and more accurate. I noticed that some molds give a measurment of .454. Is there any advantage to casting a larger boolit?
I have sluged my barrel and it meaures .452.

Bomberman
05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
If you've slugged your barrel and it's a .452 then there is no reason you cannot shoot a .454 boolit. The advantage to shooting a larger boolit is that is fills out the grooves better and makes a better gas seal...this will usually prevent leading and give you better accuracy. A boolit too small and you will get gas cutting on the sides and it will leave a trail of lead up your barrel and accuracy will go out the window.

Hope this helps.

chiefappraiser
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
So what you are telling me is that the boollit needs to be about .002 larger that the bore, to prevent gas from escaping. If this is the case where does the extra lead go to when the boolit is forced down the barrel?

dragonrider
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Boolit just gets a little longer is all, it's unnoticeable.

pdawg_shooter
05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
So what you are telling me is that the boollit needs to be about .002 larger that the bore, to prevent gas from escaping. If this is the case where does the extra lead go to when the boolit is forced down the barrel?

Sometimes, and sometimes not. You don't know till you try. .001/.002 over bore is a start, but a start only. Every firearm is a law onto it's own. The bullet will size down to fit the bore, but that doesn't always give the best accuracy. A lot depends on the alloy and the pressure generated by your loads.

chiefappraiser
05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys it has been a pleasure to learn from your experience.

Buddy
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Do the "drop test" to make the 454's will chamber with no problem in a 45acp before you load a bunch and find out they don't chamber all the way.

RobS
05-06-2011, 12:39 AM
I am new to post on this site, but I was hopfull that you could answer a question. I am currently shooting a 225 grain 45 acp ww boolit that measures .452. It seems to shoot good, and shows no sign of leading. I am looking for another mold that may cast more boolits at a time, and more accurate. I noticed that some molds give a measurment of .454. Is there any advantage to casting a larger boolit?
I have sluged my barrel and it meaures .452.

What did you slug your barrel with? If it is not dead soft lead (pure) or near to it there is a good chance for spring back making a .451 groove seem like .452.

chiefappraiser
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
i used a recovered bullet. If that wont work then I will have to try something else.
What is the drop test?

RobS
05-06-2011, 11:19 AM
A boolit (assuming it’s not pure lead) will be too hard and will have spring back. Your barrel is likely .451 and is the reason why your .452 boolits are working well for you. I asked what you slugged your barrel with because your results using .452 boolits seemed to be good so I figured you slugged with a harder alloy; a common mistake by individuals starting out.

A boolit could be used is if it was cast of soft lead or if you cast a boolit then directly after it cooled (5-10 min) slugged the barrel with it since it would still be soft. Also make sure it is larger than .452 and a simple way to make one larger in diameter is to tap the nose of it with a hammer until the base/drive bands fatten up. Ideal would be to use pure lead such as a muzzle loader round ball or even fishing egg weights. However not all fishing weights these days are made of pure lead either so that's a toss up too.

fredj338
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
i used a recovered bullet. If that wont work then I will have to try something else.
What is the drop test?

Not a good way to measure the gorve dia. The bullet distorts on leaving the muzzle. Lube up an overisze lead bullet & drive it trhu the bore w/ a wooden dowel or brass rod, measure that. A larger beuulet can be made smaller, but not vise versa.

MT Gianni
05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
You could use a fat South Bend Brand sinker as they used to be pure.

Check your chamber as occasionally .454 will not feed in some guns. .452 is as fat as I can go in my Kimber.

Artful
05-06-2011, 02:35 PM
if .454 as cast doesn't work fo ya, run thru Lubesizer and bingo comes out .452

michiganvet
06-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I alyays thought the .454's were for older .45 Colts.