PDA

View Full Version : ?Trailboss in 40 S&W?

prs
05-05-2011, 01:02 PM
I have seen no published data for TB powder in the 40 SW, but the IMR data site indicates for any cartridge you can find the max non compressed charge and that is your MAX and that 70% of that MAX is your start. I see 3.3gr Trailboss as the Max and 2.3 as the start (no consideration given for boolit weight!). Is this total folly? Totally nuts? Asking, begging for da KaBoom? Has anyone here given such a try (and lived to tell)?

prs

376Steyr
05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Looking at the Hodgdon webpage, they don't list TrailBoss loads for 9mm Luger or 38 Super either. 45 ACP does get a couple of listings, with sub-700 fps velocities. I suspect Trail Boss can't generate enough velocity (and thus recoil) to operate autoloader actions with the smaller cartridges. Now if you're shooting a S&W 610 revolver you might be on to something.

prs
05-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Looking at the Hodgdon webpage, they don't list TrailBoss loads for 9mm Luger or 38 Super either. 45 ACP does get a couple of listings, with sub-700 fps velocities. I suspect Trail Boss can't generate enough velocity (and thus recoil) to operate autoloader actions with the smaller cartridges. Now if you're shooting a S&W 610 revolver you might be on to something.

Glock 23, OE barrel and lead 180gn boolits.

prs

wellfedirishman
05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
I have used several pounds of Trailboss in revolver and rifle cartridges with excellent results.

I was actually considering trying it in a 9mm for light cast loads (105 grain), as I find Bullseye to be quite dirty and lead a bit.

Given Trailboss' properties, I am confident it would be safe in my 9mm (a steel 1911 9mm). Only question is whether it would cycle properly.

Firebricker
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Even if you find a safe load there are a lot of powders that are a lot more suited to the .40 S&W. Unless you have a ton TB and no other purpose for it I would go with another powder. FB

shotman
05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
well you dont need a powder measure just count them LOL
dont know why they sell reloading books any powder will work in anything

prs
05-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Well, my life and health coverage policies are paid-up, so I followed the rule of thumb cited above with once fired Winchester brass, Federal primers, and Lee TL401-175-swc,. The MAX load without chance of compression was 3.0gr of TrailBoss. I started by dialing in a charge of 2.1g and completed 3 rounds for action function testing. The Glock 23 fired/cycled them flawlessly and ejected cases with gusto. As expected, very low recoil and no indication of over pressure at primers, nor case bulge. The rounds were subjectively wimpy, so I moved up to 2.7gr and loaded 25 rounds. A little more robust, but still a very comfy plinker round that rang steel with adequate authority. Accuracy? I dunno, I am not much of a marksman with a Glock, yet, but it is a functional plinker round with no obvoius signs of over pressure, nor any reason to fear a squib. If it ever stops raining, may run them over the speed trap.

prs

prs
05-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Gee! I really expected to be taken to the woodshed for my evil ways here. Wildcating without pressure data or published precident in a gun infamous for kabooms. I deserved a good **** kick'n. I do have other powders, just got curious about this one and wanted a lower pressure plinker round that would be easy on the poorly supported brass. Comparing those TB shot cases to the shot factory rounds, the TB reloads faired much better. No Glock smiles or bulge like the WInchester 180HPs did and the primers looked way better, the fired factory primers were very flat and the firing pin "dent" almost a closed slit. The shot TB reloads had nice well formed impressions of the firing pin. Oh well, back to published data.

prs

jerry_from_ct
05-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Gee! I really expected to be taken to the woodshed for my evil ways here. Wildcating without pressure data or published precident in a gun infamous for kabooms. I deserved a good **** kick'n. I do have other powders, just got curious about this one and wanted a lower pressure plinker round that would be easy on the poorly supported brass. Comparing those TB shot cases to the shot factory rounds, the TB reloads faired much better. No Glock smiles or bulge like the WInchester 180HPs did and the primers looked way better, the fired factory primers were very flat and the firing pin "dent" almost a closed slit. The shot TB reloads had nice well formed impressions of the firing pin. Oh well, back to published data.

prs

I think the only way you could blow up a gun with Trail Boss is chamber a round and then fill up the barrel w/ it.:mrgreen:

I suspect the original intent was a powder that does what it does very well.............Suppressed rounds and the CB action shooting angle was as after thought.

Just stick with the fill to the lower bullet line and reduce to 70 % and work from there.

Have fun...........

gray wolf
05-09-2011, 10:19 AM
It's just not a recommended powder for the 40

spqrzilla
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
It certainly does not seem like a very effective use of the powder.

wellfedirishman
05-09-2011, 06:49 PM
It certainly does not seem like a very effective use of the powder.

It depends on how one defines 'effective', and what one's preferences are. If you are looking for high-power/high-recoil loads it is probably not the best choice.

As a plinker load Trailboss is hard to beat, it shoots clean, and does very well with any lead bullets I have tried with it in either revolver or rifle. And from PRS's results above, looks like it works in the 40 also.

It is very hard to double charge TB, in my experience. That is a nice safety feature for newbie reloaders, and what got me started on the powder a few years ago.

Trailboss is not the best choice for every application, but works pretty well for many of them especially with cast boolits. I would follow Hodgdon's recommended use rules and don't compress it.

Can't you tell I am a fan? ;-)

Ford SD
01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
I had this very same thought about trail boss in the 40

Sent a email to IMR --- I got a reply

IMR does not recomend trail boss in the small case 9mm / 40S&W

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-23-2012, 11:53 PM
i am working with 6.3 gr of power pistol under that same boolit right now , so far it seems good , more accuracy testing to do yet but it cycles the action and stays on the lower side of the pressure for 40S&W
a very generous member here sent me some to try before i bought the mold

now all i need is for my range to not be snowed in , please thaw so i can go shoot more

i am probably going to be ordering the lee 401-170-TC as soon as i can round up some money.