PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas opens today.

littlejack
05-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, here in our own Springfied Oregon. I live about 5 miles away, in Eugene.
It's kind of ironic, my wife and I went for a 5 day long vacation early in March, and
our first vistit ever to a Cabelas in Boomtown,(Reno) Nevada.
We enjoyed it emensly. Very nice store and beautiful displays.
Anyway, Cabelas has their "Ribbon Cutting Ceramony" today at 4:00 pm, and the doors open just after. Probably be standing room only. I was not going to attend, and let the crowd die down for a day or two, but I don't think I can stand the strain.
I still want to shop at some of our local stores. There is one local department store "Bi-Mart" that is employee owned. They have been real good about keeping the locals in powder, primers and other reloading goods, the best they could, when times were tough.
There is another new local gun shop, "Gun Pro" in Springfield that opened last year and is making a good attempt to get started. Good prices, good inventory.
Also, a couple of other well established gun stores, in Eugene.
If any of you live close, come on in, "If you can't stand the strain".
Jack

starmac
05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know how cabellas handles theirgrand opening, but I happened to be in amarillo the day gander mountain opened. They had some great sales opening day.

obssd1958
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Another store to check out, if you like the small hometown friendly atmosphere in Eugene, is Mazama Sporting Goods. Locally owned and operated.
They are in the Valley River Center.
I have some friends there!!

:drinks:

littlejack
05-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Yes sir, we got the morning newpaper, and there is a Cabelas pamplet, that lists quits a few sales.
As for Mazama, I have been there many times. Jim Wade is a good fella. Nice store, good inventory for its size.
Jack

midnight
05-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Now you will have to pay state sales tax on everything you order on line or through the catalog. It may be nice to have a store in state so you can shop in person but in Wisconsin we have two stores, the nearest is about 50 miles. At the price of gas, I won't drive my big truck that far.

Bob

jimmeyjack
05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Now you will have to pay state sales tax on everything you order on line or through the catalog. It may be nice to have a store in state so you can shop in person but in Wisconsin we have two stores, the nearest is about 50 miles. At the price of gas, I won't drive my big truck that far.

Bob

HAha, No sales tax in Oregon! I visit family once a year there and bring a shopping list with me. I save enough to pay for most of my gas.

littlejack
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes sir JJ, you are correct. No sales tax in Orygun.

onceabull
05-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Ah,Eugene, --Spent the summers of 56,& 57,there - working the timber(mostly on the upper Siuslaw) .in'56 boarded on Friendly St..came through there from Florence about 10 summers ago, not sure I could have found Friendly St..or much else that I remembered from my days of running with the guys Ken Kesey wrote about...Do recall the Horse that paid my first ticket to win, Oregon State fair ,Salem,1956,,Fearless Freddie....a much different country in those days,if you could reach the window with your $ that proved you were old enuff to wager, and buy beer.......Onceabull

Spartacus
05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I literally hold up my hands when I enter a Cabellas or Gander Mountain, etc. because I know I'm about to get robbed.

condorjohn
05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Littlejack, so yer the guy that always beats me to the pewter at St. Vinnie's huh?

Condor John

littlejack
05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
onceabull, back in 56 and 57, I was 7 and 8 respectively.
Spartacus, There were a lot of folks coming out with bags of boughten goods. In general,
you are correct, the prices are not any better than any other store, and some of prices are
higher.
condorjohn, I have been known to pick up a piece of pewter here and there. There hasn't
been much around lately though. I was blaming on some one else. It must have been you.
Jack

fatelk
05-06-2011, 11:36 PM
I might stop in at Cabela's after the exitement dies down. I've been to several in other states and while they're neat to visit I couldn't find much I needed to buy.

"Gun Pro" in Springfield that opened last year and is making a good attempt to get started.
Neil seems like a real good guy; nice shop, good prices, growing inventory. I wish him success in his new shop.

Mazama's is OK. A lot of their prices seem awful high, but at least they're friendly. SM Guns? Not so much.:(

toddn84
05-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I live in Baton Rouge and we just had a cabelas and bass pro open up both are 15 minutes from my house. Me and a buddy each spent 3 hours at each store on opening day

*Paladin*
05-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Cabelas is the DEVIL!!! I have spent more money in the Boise, ID and Lehi, Utah Cabelas stores than I would care to think of. It's financially dangerous to have a store close by! :mrgreen:

littlejack
05-07-2011, 11:51 PM
We must exercise some self control.

crazy mark
05-07-2011, 11:59 PM
I'd rather go to the Lacey Wa store. Better parking and I only live less than 2 miles from Gateway in Springfield during the week. Lacey is an hour from my place in Washington and I don't pay sales tax there either. Gun Pro is a good shop and sometimes you can get a deal at Mazama's. More so at the gun shows.

imashooter2
05-08-2011, 07:24 AM
The Cabela's in Hamburg, PA is a few years old now. The "excitement" has never died down. The place is always packed. Tuesday morning looks the same as Saturday afternoon.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-08-2011, 07:38 AM
we have one about 8 1/4 miles from my house go to the cave first

blaser.306
05-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Cabelas is breaking ground here now and they want to have the doors open for the spring of 2012 ! From what I understand the Canadian stores won't be as large as the US locations but I am sure it will make for some good window shopping ?

ubetcha
05-08-2011, 08:34 AM
When my oldest son bought his house ,he said it was in a dangerous neighborhood.About a quarter mile from the Richfield Wisconsin store.To tempting to go there and get something,even if you don't need it.In fact,my wife wants to go there today.She twisted my arm really hard. :bigsmyl2:

rockrat
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
The Sportsmans Warehouse down the street from Cabelas has better prices on reloading gear, than Cableas. I see very few deals at Cabelas. Don't ever think about selling/trading in one of your guns, they offered me about 60% of what they were going to sell it for. Guy said "Well, its worth $2500, we will sell it for $2000, so we will give you $1200"!

I do buy some clothes there, as they do have 4X, my size, and some atheletic shoes, but not a whole lot else.

lylejb
05-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Just back from the new Springfield Cabelas.

First, about a zillion people, can't look at much of anything, because you can't get to it.

A quick look at reloading supplies, primers: a full shelf @ $32 - $36 / 1000

Powder, red dot @ $19.99, most other alliant at $21.99, has most Win, Hodgdon, and IMR in stock,

While they have a good supply of equipment, their prices are no better than Bi-mart, and worse on some things.

looked at a Rem 870 youth shotgun for my son, $320. Bi-mart has it at $299.

Looked in the "gun library", but they wouldn't take my library card. :groner:

There's no other way I'm going to get anything out of that room.:holysheep

All in all, if it was closer, I might get some things there, but for the most common things, I'll stick with Bi-mart.

littlejack
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Bi-Mart is a fine store, and employee owned.

threett1
05-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm a commercial printer, and I print those Cabela's flyers you get in the mail. About the most interesting thing we print. At least it has guns and stuff in it. Nothing exciting anymore, but they are there. I live 50 miles from our local Cabela's, so that helps keep me out of trouble. While it is a cool place, the prices aren't any better.

rockrat
05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Our local "Gun Library" had a CZ550 6.5 x 55 with full length stock for, IIRC, $950. Saw one down in Tulsa, for $650

Sometimes, but not often, you can run across a good deal. Saw a Ruger tang safety, 358win, for $549, and bought a Rem 700 Stainless, in 338 win mag, for under $500, and boy , does it shoot!!

RayinNH
05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
About three years ago my wife and I stopped at the one in Hamburg PA that imashooter mentioned. We where there about 4-5 hours and didn't see the whole thing. The store is enormous, but the displays to see are worth the trip alone. The aquarium, gun vault, taxidermy displays and mountain in the middle are fascinating to see. That being said I only bought a gun rag for the motel room on the trip home...Ray