PDA

View Full Version : Bulge Buster Case Pusher.

W.R.Buchanan
05-04-2011, 10:48 PM
For those interested I have some pushers for use in removing the case bulge on .40S&W fired cases.

PM me if interested.

Randy

flashhole
05-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Randy,

PM sent - yes I want one.

05-05-2011, 09:17 AM
PM sent last night...

W.R.Buchanan
05-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Gosh: I kinda thought there would be a little more interest in this item than just one guy.

Thanks flashhole.

You guys reloading .40S&W need to pay attention here. If you've got a set of Lee carbide dies with the carbide Factory Taper Crimp die then all you need to recondition your cases is one of these.

Go to the swap and shop section for more info.

Randy

Doby45
05-07-2011, 02:07 PM
If they are loading 40 and they cast more than likely at one time they got a 401 Lee sizing kit, which has a perfect pusher just like the one you make in it. You would be FAR better served selling these on the other reloading forums where the membership mainly loads jacketed bullets. Not that you are not welcome to sell here, cause you most assuredly are, but you would more than likely get more interest from people that do not cast.

flashhole
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Randy, I sent PayPal info.

HiVelocity
05-07-2011, 08:24 PM
:lol:PM sent.

W.R.Buchanan
05-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Doby: this tool is used to push the cases thru a die to remove the bulge in the case. it works with cast boolits the same as jacketed bullets.

I'm really not trying to get into the case pusher business(unless Midway picked it up). Believe me there isn't any money in it. I just made a few of these tools for some of the guys who asked , and as a favor to the site, and to make some friends.

Now if Larry Potterfield came calling I could get serious in a hurry. He buys stuff in the "thousands of units" quantities. That would be worth doing.

I have other stuff that I am working on, but none of the items are earth shattering.

Randy

Doby45
05-11-2011, 12:08 AM
You missed my point.

flashhole
05-11-2011, 07:03 AM
I wonder if you could get similar benefits for 223 cases with a pusher and FCD? Some folks have to use a small base die because the conventional die won't give them adequate sizing. I realize the brass would have to sized again with a FL or neck die afterwards. Just a thought.

flashhole
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Mine arrived today, fits in all my presses and works well. Thanks Randy.

W.R.Buchanan
05-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Flashhole: Hope it works well for you.

Randy

fishnbob
05-20-2011, 02:11 PM
What am I missing? The Lee carbide sizer die that I have resizes the bulge out of my cases and they cycle fine.

W.R.Buchanan
05-20-2011, 07:26 PM
fishnbob: The sizing die only resizes the case down to about 3/16" above the extractor groove.

This accentuates the bulged portion of the case, which gets worse every time you reload it.

This is why you push the case all the way thru a FCD die body which makes the case cylindrical again.

This is about extending your case life, and case strength, as your gun will probably cycle the reloaded rounds one way or another. It is a "Case Preparation Operation" Like case trimming or chamfering.

This is not a new operation, it has been around for 10 years.

If you look at the pics.

1. shows a fired case with the chamber bulge. The bulged area is .435

2. shows a sized case showing how far down the sizing die goes onto the case during the normal resizing operation. The sized area is .418, the rest is .435 There is still a significant bulged area.

3. shows a sized case next to a case with the bulge removed and you can see it is more cylindrical. It has been pushed thru a FCD to get this way. It is .422 the full length of the case, however it still must be ran thru the sizing die during re-loading which will make it even smaller, then the expander with open it back up enough to get a bullet into it.

I hope this helps you to understand this "case preparation operation". If not there is a significant amount of information about this process here on the site available by doing a search

Randy.

noylj
05-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Can I push the case through head first? It seems that you would "iron out" the bulge by running the case through head first. Whereas, pushing it through case mouth first would tend to hide the displaced brass.

W.R.Buchanan
05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
There is a machine made by Magma that pushes the cases thru the die butt first. It is about $400.

The pusher needs to fit inside the case mouth and not get stuck to process the case this way.

Mine won't do this. It is made to be used as I have outlined.

Sizing the case mouth first does not displace the brass, that takes 25K+ in pressure to do.

No need to re-engineer this process, been doing it for 6-7 years. It is dirt simple and works really well.

Randy

Shiloh
05-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I have the LEE version. Bought it a while ago. If I didn't have one, I like to support the folks on the forum.

SHiloh

W.R.Buchanan
05-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the thought Shiloh! It's a good thing.

Randy