PDA

View Full Version : EvapoRust

casterofboolits
05-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Sorry to say I have several moulds in need of rust removal. After reading a thread here I bought a quart at AutoZone.

This stuff is fantastic. after letting the moulds soak overnight, it took me twenty minutes for what was taking me four hours to do previously. :bigsmyl2:

EvapoRust will be on my tool shelves from now on! :drinks:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Ben
05-05-2011, 12:57 AM
It would be nice for all of us if someone could post some " before " and " after " photos.

shotman
05-05-2011, 01:10 AM
keep them in oil for while the acid will do a major job on them if you dont

casterofboolits
05-05-2011, 02:35 AM
keep them in oil for while the acid will do a major job on them if you dont

You got that right! A friend stopped by to talk boolits right as I was drying two Lyman four cavity moulds and when I got back to them about an hour later, there were a few bright orange streaks and spots. Easily removed tho, then I oild them up! :drinks:

Also, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use the EvapoRust on anything that is blued. Blueing is RUST! It took the blue completly off the moulds!! :holysheep

MikeS
05-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Actually there's no acid in Evapo-Rust, it's just so effective a degreaser that when you take the mould out, there's nothing protecting the mould, so it 'flash' rusts. If you simply put the mould back into the Evapo-Rust for a moment, and then let it dry on the mould, you will have a protective coating that according to the Evapo-Rust people will protect indoors for about two weeks. As it dries you can see/feel the coating turn from a liquid to a waxy sort of consistancy before it dries.

I also found that while it removed the bluing, after casting with it just a few times that the mould takes on a heat blue, which while not as nice as the original factory bluing, it's not bad looking.

I've used Evapo-Rust on a few different parts, and this stuff is good, I have yet to find a rusted part that it didn't make look 100% better, and remove all the rust. I have an old Lyman #10 tool that had a bit of rust on it, and the hinge was kind of rough, even after oiling it quite a bit. I let it sit in Evapo-Rust overnight, and the next morning, not only was all the surface rust gone, but the hinge wo.rks like new, no roughness, just a nice smooth opening and closing action like it should.