PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price ?

tracker
06-01-2005, 10:00 PM
I hope this was a good buy. I already bought a mask for lead but found out I don't need one. Anyway, I have 150 pounds of wheel weights at Nelson tire where I live. They are saving it for me until my payday in two weeks. 25.00$ bucks. I thought they gave this stuff away. Times change I guess. They put my name on it. Nice folks though. Is this a good buy? I just couldnt find any free stuff and only have a small amount from a friend. I figure that 150 pounds would last me a long time.

Tracker

Willbird
06-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Well it is a sellers market, but I pay .10 an lb and the tire shops seem to be darn glad to get it, the scrap yard gives .03 and sells for .10 an lb.

150 lbs of weights will give you roughly 120 lbs of cleaned alloy, which will make (4200) 200 grain boolits.

If you have no alloy I would smile and say "thank you" and fork over the 25.00, then get to work beating the bushes, you will find more, and cheaper. Buy a 100 pounds a week for .10 an lb until you have 10,000lbs, then buy to replace what you use. I am not joking about the 10k one bit, it doesn't go bad, and the EPA could decide tire weights are hazmat.

Bill

Willbird
06-01-2005, 10:16 PM
OH ya and hey, don't take the mask thing serious at all, this is a fun place to hang out, and heck if a topic takes on a life of it's own like that one did then thats all part of the fun.

Bill

tracker
06-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks Willbird
I wasnt mad or anything like that, just confused. My wife say thats easy for me. I can get all the lead I want from these guys. It takes them a little time to get it up to 150 pounds or about which is what they sell in 5 gallon plastic buckets.

Tracker

tracker
06-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey Willbird
Is it strange that I have ordered the dies and getting the lead before I have the rifle ? I do have the 30-30 but it is the EMF 1892 I really want to cast for.
I have 400.00 $dollars saved. I cant buy anymore or I will have to dip into the rifle fund. That darn mask thing I spent money on. It could have went toward the rifle or the Lee sizing die. [smilie=1: Now I will have to paint the house so as to have a use for it.

Tracker

Willbird
06-02-2005, 12:49 PM
a true gun nut will go looking for a rifle, mold, and dies because he found a deal on 17 once fired 32 special brass in a garage sale, a conservative gun nut will only go looking for a gun to fit DIES he happened across somewhere.

having dies and a mold makes it easier to buy a gun in a certian caliber too "I have dies for that already"

Bill

45nut
06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
a true gun nut will go looking for a rifle, mold, and dies because he found a deal on 17 once fired 32 special brass in a garage sale, a conservative gun nut will only go looking for a gun to fit DIES he happened across somewhere.

having dies and a mold makes it easier to buy a gun in a certian caliber too "I have dies for that already"

Bill
Oh,I know that road well. I was given two cases per my request. From a fellow over on AR in the Big Bore room.
Proud Owner of a 500 A-Square, Pacnor Barrel,Bell & Carlson Stock,Timney Trigger,P-14 Enfield action,CH4D Dies,Weatherby & Norma 460 cases.
Not Cheap,but Oh My the power. :grin:

Iron River Red
06-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Since we are being candid here. I have bought dies, brass and bullets because of a good deal on the lot and then gotten home to find out I had sold the gun the previous year because I couldn't find a decent buy on dies, brass and bullets...

My wife says I have too many guns and just forgot about selling it.

Since then I have realized she keeps up with my collection by counting them while the safe door is open... huh huh huh.

Now I use the logic that by reducing by one I can buy one. She still ain't figured out that the safe is full and just won't hold any more... hope she don't look in the attic... ;-)

rugerman1
06-02-2005, 04:15 PM
She still ain't figured out that the safe is full and just won't hold any more... hope she don't look in the attic... ;-)
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/24.gif

MT Gianni
06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Willbird only if the cases you are given can't be used to form into something else you have. A true gun nut doesn't trust headstamps.
Iron River Red: Try under your floor joists if its dry and secure. A couple of hangers can hold wonders. Last but not least leave them in the box. If enough empty boxes are saved they never check to see if one has some heft to it. Never go to a gun show without a case. Gianni.